Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

This is anecdotal but when Park Seo-joon was announced, I was surprised at vitriol on K drama sites such as Soompi, My Drama List and Koala's Playground aimed at CM and Brie larson. Girls were like, ugh why did he have to be in CM movie? I hate CM, hate Brie. Back then, Brie/CM hate was seen as exclusively male thing but K drama and K pop sites were an eye opener. 

Why the hell were people in South Korea hating on Brie Larson? Literally the only thing Brie ever said was that she wanted more diversity in the field of movie criticism and that A Wrinkle in Time wasn't necessarily aimed at a white male audience. People in South Korea got upset about that? I would imagine none of them even saw that speech.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

45% audience were females which mens 190m from female audience; now this will do 100m total & 37m from females 

However, that percent of woman doesn't seem especially for female audience in a MCU movie.

That's why I said there was an special interest on the character from women.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Ken wasn't a love interest, but the promotion gave the impression he would be. So, people expected romance in Barbie movie, but the movie subverted that.

Now, although Ken wasn't the love interest, he has been extremely popular between the audience.

Surprisingly, Ken and Barbie couple costume were pretty popular in Halloween.

Romance has many forms including unrequited love and that was a big theme of the movie. It was structured in the way that you wanted them to get together but understood why they couldn't since it wasn't real love. he thought he would only be validated as her boyfriend and she gave him his agency when she said he didn't need her to be valued hence Kenough. It's actually a really good love story.

• Like 3

Not sure how big a contributor this is but for me bringing the tv characters into the movies makes the movie seem cheaper, like a made for tv movie. Ever since the shield show it seemed clear to me the tv characters wouldn't work in the movies. And they kept them out for the most part. But that could be mostly just me.

2 minutes ago, DInky said:

Why the hell were people in South Korea hating on Brie Larson? Literally the only thing Brie ever said was that she wanted more diversity in the field of movie criticism and that A Wrinkle in Time wasn't necessarily aimed at a white male audience. People in South Korea got upset about that? I would imagine none of them even saw that speech.

I have no idea why they hate her character and her or if it has anything to do with defending that turd sandwich (not a hill anyone should have died on). All I know is that they hated that he was in that movie of all Marvel movies cause they hated the character and actress. Also, the site is mostly visited by Asian girls from many countries since K dramas and pop are huge around the world. So I can't say that all haters were specifically South Korean. But the movie tanked hard there as well as in China.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Romance has many forms including unrequited love and that was a big theme of the movie. It was structured in the way that you wanted them to get together but understood why they couldn't since it wasn't real love. he thought he would only be validated as her boyfriend and she gave him his agency when she said he didn't need her to be valued hence Kenough. It's actually a really good love story.

Do you think Aquaman 2 will have a much smaller female audience because they've removed the hero's love interest and it's now a buddy cop movie? Or will the ladies still show up for Momoa?

Just now, DInky said:

Do you think Aquaman 2 will have a much smaller female audience because they've removed the hero's love interest and it's now a buddy cop movie? Or will the ladies still show up for Momoa?

No idea. It could go either way but I don't think that romance was as big factor in success as it was Momoa's sex appeal alone. So as long as he is shirtless, it should be fine though drop is inevitable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I have no idea why they hate her character and her or if it has anything to do with defending that turd sandwich (not a hill anyone should have died on). All I know is that they hated that he was in that movie of all Marvel movies cause they hated the character and actress. Also, the site is mostly visited by Asian girls from many countries since K dramas and pop are huge around the world. So I can't say that all haters were specifically South Korean. But the movie tanked hard there as well as in China.

Just sounds like Brie Larson derangement syndrome.

13 minutes ago, DInky said:

As I said a group of people have successfully turned up a lot of people around the world against Brie Larson by continuos hate campaign. Also a lot of people don't differentiate between actor & character & if they hate character(because of any reason) they start hating the actor.

Edited by Willowra

The Batman 2 and Joker 2 will avoid huge drops because those are genuinely the only comic book things anyone talks about outside of Amazon’s shows. Deadpool 3 will avoid a big drop because the hook is too enticing - even if it sounds awful lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The Holdovers is selling really well tonight everywhere i look.  Any idea how many theaters its playing in? Would love to see it match Priscillas $5m OW

The Holdovers just expanded to 778 theaters according to The Numbers. Priscilla was in 1,359 theaters last weekend so almost twice as many locations.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I think The Bat 2 will drop pretty big. The freshness of RPatz casting is no more and the first one even before the release had an aura of quality to it brought by the director Matt Reeves. I don't know what they can do in the sequel to bring in a new angle to excite viewers. Plus, it will release a long time after the first one. Idk, to me the first one was respected more than beloved

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think The Bat 2 will drop pretty big. The freshness of RPatz casting is no more and the first one even before the release had an aura of quality to it brought by the director Matt Reeves. I don't know what they can do in the sequel to bring in a new angle to excite viewers. Plus, it will release a long time after the first one. Idk, to me the first one was respected more than beloved

This is wild reasoning. Imagine saying this after Batman Begins.

• Like 1