Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Just now, Firepower said:

Where? It was forgotten pretty quickly. It came out, did well enough, but not outstanding, and that's kinda it.

I still see people talking about it on social media like day in and day out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Either Joker or Wicked is gonna be the biggest grosser next year.  

I'll pick neither...I'd guess an animated...if they all stick.

Inside Out 2 or Garfield (I no longer doubt Chris Pratt after he delivered GOTG 3 as the only live action super non-disappointment this year) will win DOM - although if I have to pick the outside chance movie, even though it's not my thing, I'd go Dune 2.

PS - And I'm assuming Spiderverse is not releasing in 2024, b/c if it was, I may rethink...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I'm gonna guess you don't spend much time on TikTok

Thankfully no.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I still see people talking about it on social media like day in and day out.

If you mean twitter, I don't follow it. But I've never seen any active discussions about it on other platforms since its release.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Thankfully no.

If you mean twitter, I don't follow it. But I've never seen any active discussions about it on other platforms since its release.

I'm not on TikTok, but I am on Twitter. So you're off of two of the biggest social media platforms but trying to say it didn't make a splash? Come on. Facebook does not define what Gen Z (And honestly even millennials) are into.

And for 2024, if there were a club where 3 animateds make the top 5 DOM, I'd be in.  The strike has slowed and/or harmed so many live actions, so those lineups look poor, but we have another Despicable Me next year as well, and possibly Spiderverse, and another animated in Imaginary Friends with the leadoff May summer date and tons of talent on top of Inside Out 2 and Garfield...we could be overflowing with animated product...even if some of them are subpar...

And is Kung Fu Panda's sequel still in, too?

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

And for 2024, if there were a club where 3 animateds make the top 5 DOM, I'd be in.  The strike has slowed and/or harmed so many live actions, so those lineups look poor, but we have another Despicable Me next year as well, and possibly Spiderverse, and another animated in Imaginary Friends with the leadoff May summer date and tons of talent on top of Inside Out 2 and Garfield...we could be overflowing with animated product...even if some of them are subpar...

And is Kung Fu Panda's sequel still in, too?

Spider-Verse is not making it to 2024. There's is absolutely zero chance of this.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

If you don't spend any time on social media why are you so certain it didn't have an impact at all

Because it has to make noise outside of one platform, random featuring is a thing. I think it did well enough on release, just like many other movies, but I don't buy it's still relevant like Nolan movies.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Because it has to make noise outside of one platform, random featuring is a thing. I think it did well enough on release, just like many other movies, but I don't buy it's still relevant like Nolan movies.

ringedmortality brought up TikTok, I'm going off of twitter. That's two. 

I can see Garfield doing really well. I don't mind Chris Pratt as an actor but that man has to be just the luckiest actor on planet earth.

Seems to me that that he lives in a permanent cycle of:

Gets cast in guaranteed blockbuster ---> movies makes billions ---> producers think Chris Pratt is the draw ---> Chris Pratt is cast in guaranteed blockbuster

To give him some credit I guess he's just incredible at choosing roles

Edited by Killimano3
Spelling
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm not on TikTok, but I am on Twitter. So you're off of two of the biggest social media platforms but trying to say it didn't make a splash? Come on. Facebook does not define what Gen Z (And honestly even millennials) are into.

People recalling a random movie on twitter is a usual thing, it doesn't mean some massive splash. I'm pretty sure someone posted a similar claim about about first Captain Marvel months ago and look where we are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I don't know man, it's hard to describe the nature of memes and just how culturally relevant TikTok is right now to someone that's just going to dismiss the premise entirely.

You're just gonna have to take my word for it that it's still talked about if you do not want to see for yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

People recalling a random movie on twitter is a usual thing, it doesn't mean some massive splash. I'm pretty sure someone posted a similar claim about about first Captain Marvel months ago and look where we are.

Dude it's not even similar at all. Like...not at all.

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't know man, it's hard to describe the nature of memes and just how culturally relevant TikTok is right now to someone that's just going to dismiss the premise entirely.

You're just gonna have to take my word for it that it's still talked about if you do not want to see for yourself.

We'll find out in 2 years if it's true, it's gonna be a long wait.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Dude it's not even similar at all. Like...not at all.

I agree, Captain Marvel did 1.1 bln and was loved by twitter.