Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Speaking of YA remember Mockingjay Pt 2 floppage and how Divergent 3 never came out? 

It looks like it'll take more than that to kill the superhero genre.

I don’t think enough people remember what a disappointment the MJ movies were at the time. It seems tame compared to the franchise bombs we get now, but it was pretty rare back then for such a huge franchise to underwhelm like that. Hence why I’ve said the new movie is doomed without stellar WOM. 

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Speaking of YA remember Mockingjay Pt 2 floppage and how Divergent 3 never came out? 

It looks like it'll take more than that to kill the superhero genre.

I fondly remember how quickly the YA film craze arose and how quickly they faded.

Twilight, THG, Divergent and Maze Runner were the only ones that are really remembered. Plenty of flops that have been forgotten.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The industry would love those $630m outside China (that was more than say Winter Soldier or Mission Impossible Rogue Nation at the time) on a small Liongates production and promo budget now.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

more than that to kill the superhero genre.

Spiderman, Guardians 3 this year, Batman, Thor, Black Panther, Strange last year were just giant success

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Twilight, THG, Divergent and Maze Runner were the only ones that are really remembered. Plenty of flops that have been forgotten.

Fault in our stars, Hobbits, Golden Compass, Ends Games and obviously Harry Potters franchise were others big YA book adaptation.

Some smaller did really well like Love, Simon or The Perks of Being a Wallflower

• Like 1

I think the Russos did a fantastic job with the films they directed in the MCU but their work outside of the MCU is suspect. 

James Gunn is a guy who has proven to be great with or without Feige. 

Also,  Joss Whedon is a good writer but Age of Ultron was not great and his work on Justice League was abysmal. 

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Fault in our stars, Hobbits, Golden Compass, Ends Games and obviously Harry Potters franchise were others big YA book adaptation.

Some smaller did really well like Love, Simon or The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I always considered Potter to be children's books that grew up with their audience. But yeah, that's obviously the biggest one if you consider them YA.

Also Narnia? Yikes, nobody cared after that first movie.

18 minutes ago, TommyOliver said:

If the rumors are true, it's the whoever is playing Sue Storm F4 movie, which is on brand for current MCU.

Too bad Margot Robbie isn't playing Invisible Woman. 

With the MCU's bad decisions lately, they will probably pick Amy Schumer play Sue.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Also Narnia? Yikes, nobody cared after that first movie.

Yep but it was a big production like Ender Games or Mortal Instrument.

Potters became YA when the children reading the first book grew up like you said, maybe the final 4 books-movies or so, the PG-13 Potters stopped to be children movies.

Looking at this:

https://www.epicreads.com/blog/adapted-books-on-screen/

There title a reconize but I am not sure I ever knew what the movie were (city of bones, Papers Towns, 13 reasons, 5th waves, artemis fowl)

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

finished the killer, feel about it the same way I feel about every single fincher movie, pretty good, maybe even great, but it wont stick with me for long 

Zodiac didn’t stick with you for long? :( it’s my favorite movie of all time, no movie is as haunting and frustrating (in a good way) for me

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Too bad Margot Robbie isn't playing Invisible Woman. 

With the MCU's bad decisions lately, they will probably pick Amy Schumer play Sue.

They should cast Melissa McCarthy as Reed, Kate McKinnon as Johnny, and Leslie Jones as Ben. Really give the fans what they want.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Ended up sad by the huge flop of The Marvels. 

Is a very average movie to be honest, but really saved by it’s actresses and the director interest in them. 

What really brings the movie down a lot is how it needs to buildup things for the future when it comes to technology, quantum realm, multiversal travel etc. It’s super boring, delivered with an awful lot of expository dialogues that feels forced and clunky. 

Still, it really shines in how Nia choose to move away from the masculine structure of the first to a proudly feminine movie, super interested in those characters from a big range of very sincere emotions and interactions, with some hilarious situations that embrace tacky camp feelings that was a delight to watch and something unusual in the MCU.

And the 3 actresses seems very interested in this approach as well, i think Brie Larson especially have the chance here of being way funnier, relatable and charismatic than in any moment of the first movie. 

So it’s really sad to see the discourse on social media blaming Brie, Nia and the actresses over this failure and mocking them. It’s really not their fault since they are the ones doing heavy lifting and saving the movie from a huge disaster, they shouldn’t be blamed for problems in a movie that suffers from being a part of such a chaotic storyline coming after a streak of disappointments. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hatebox said:

If the industry is that dependent on the mcu it’s already in a bleak place. 

scorcese was right: audiences have been conditioned to see films as content, and there’s a price to be paid for that when they also get content at home.

You might think that it was previously in a bleak place qualitywise or whatever but I hope you can see the difference between that and literally a bunch of further closures job losses etc.   

If MCU was performing well it’s worth like 1.5B+ DOM per year, current level looks more like 500M or something. That’s a pretty appreciable chunk of the whole post-pandemic market!

Edited by Legion Again