Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

Movies just aren't a thing people really do anymore. Used to be when you had an empty corridor and a holiday weekend people would do movies because it was a major American activity. It just isn't anymore. Too many options, too much expense. Obviously, people go for specific events, but yeah. It's a massive transitionary period, and the three options are limp along in new normal, complete collapse, or come out of a depression as prices go down and people get further from COVID and sick of so many streamers. The latter two both feel mostly unlikely, and I think the "limp along in reduced form" is most likely.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Deep rural Texas and for most, Disney as an entire company can go jump off a cliff. Which is funny when I know many have D+. Middle America has a big issue with the company just as M37 said, but it had been brewing for a long time before the Florida stupidity. 

Cost and unappealing product are definitely a major factor. I have 4 kids, and they adore most of this stuff. Guess what, Mario was the only film we have taken them to in theaters and it was due to a $4 ticket deal. Can't afford to take them all out for $12+ a pop in the nice theaters when I just paid $120 for an entire years membership for their favorite Children's science place (and I have access in all major cities in the state/nation.) 

@TwoMisfits keeps harping the price point stuff for the family films, and I think some of yall just don't get it, but she is 100% right. We have watched every major family film, but all on streaming because it's what we can afford. No plans for Wish, Trolls or Migration either. 🤷‍♂️

The first chain to introduce a family ticket like we have in the UK is going to make a killing. It's 2 adults and 2 kids for generally around $30 here (our ticket prices are even higher than the US), do that around $25 and watch the families flow in. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Elemental more succesful than TLM. 

Their box offices was similar compared to their budgets. 567M for TLM (250M budget) v. 500M for Elemental (200M) budget. 

But elemental had a way smaller marketing campaign, way better WOM, from what i saw it sell way better in digital and physical media, and was a phenomenon on streaming that TLM wasn’t. 

Maybe TLM won in selling toys idk, hard to have data about this. 

But at least culturally, I feel Elemental was the one that sticks beyond GOTG3 for Disney this year.

Was it though? TLM made 75M more WW and, more crucially, it has made (basically) 300M DOM instead of 155M. And studios still profit a lot more from domestic gross than international gross, right?

All in all they both made money IMO, even if perhaps only after their run. Plus kids movies like that will continue making money after the theatrical run for a long time.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Deep rural Texas and for most, Disney as an entire company can go jump off a cliff. Which is funny when I know many have D+. Middle America has a big issue with the company just as M37 said, but it had been brewing for a long time before the Florida stupidity. 

Cost and unappealing product are definitely a major factor. I have 4 kids, and they adore most of this stuff. Guess what, Mario was the only film we have taken them to in theaters and it was due to a $4 ticket deal. Can't afford to take them all out for $12+ a pop in the nice theaters when I just paid $120 for an entire years membership for their favorite Children's science place (and I have access in all major cities in the state/nation.) 

@TwoMisfits keeps harping the price point stuff for the family films, and I think some of yall just don't get it, but she is 100% right. We have watched every major family film, but all on streaming because it's what we can afford. No plans for Wish, Trolls or Migration either. 🤷‍♂️

No wonder American's cultural influence and soft power is at their 30 years low in Asia. Many scholars locally have already started realising the matter especially post-Covid, about how Asian are quickly moving away from US pop culture.   

The Disney cultural backlash is definitely a bit real - the number of students from my old high school that think they're pedophiles trying to "convert" kids is pretty sickening. Not remotely the main cause, considering Barbie and Oppenheimer were both flagrantly left wing movies that defined the box office year. I'll tell you what - I see meme after meme from friends about how much they hate the new Star Wars movies. Meme after meme from friends talking shit about Thor 4 and Ant Man. Everyone I know thinks that the Lion King and Little Mermaid remakes were boring despite sharing the trailers in excitement, and these aren't cultural warriors. I don't keep my ear to the animation ground, but I assume that there's a similar kind of backlash against the newer films. Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker (I love TLJ TO BE CLEAR) and the new MCU movies really put a stink out.

• Like 4

Major sports are also struggling to get under 18s on board.  It's too expensive to go to games, and too boring to watch.

So, I completely love the NFL's move to have kidcasts starting last year on Nickelodeon and continuing this year on Disney and again on Nickelodeon, to include a Christmas day game and the Super Bowl (yes, I'll be watching a kid cast Superbowl b/c my kid has now become an NFL fanatic - and watches normal casts, but he's also gonna love the Nick version since he's an uber Spongebob fan)...something to be "entry" for kids to the sports.

The summer movie series does work in part to get kids to theaters.  Disney does not support those series AT ALL, so it's no surprise that right now, you see Universal (which sponsors the Cinemark series) and other animators (who at least provide movies and trailers for their showings) still have some spark in their animateds b/c they spend months getting kids in front of their trailers - but even then, that only goes so far b/c $2 movies are different that $15-20/movies.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Major sports are also struggling to get under 18s on board.  It's too expensive to go to games, and too boring to watch.

Man this makes me feel old. I remember being the only boy in my elementary school who didn't care about sports. All my classmates would talk about Football all day long.

Again, looking at Disney or even movies in general is myopic. Technology's compounding interaction with COVID and rising prices has fundamentally shifted how we live. We live in a disconnected society where you don't have to leave your house to buy anything, eat, voice an opinion, or consume every single type of entertainment known to man. Not to sound like Ted Clayzynski, but I think this is headed towards a bad end.

• Like 1

The general sense of overall detachment from pop culture/entertainment has been spreading across mediums for a while, whether it's movies, TV, music, sports, Broadway, books, you name it and they aren't immune. We are truly living in The Loneliest Era.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

No wonder American's cultural influence and soft power is at their 30 years low in Asia. Many scholars locally have already started realising the matter especially post-Covid, about how Asian are quickly moving away from US pop culture.   

nationalism has become a big thing in many countries lately.

In India there is a big backlash online against "wannabe americans' who only watch english movies and tv shows and listen to American music.

It means there still a big market for american entertainment but its not growing as crazy as before as domestic productions are rising up in scale to  compete. 

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Disney cultural backlash is definitely a bit real - the number of students from my old high school that think they're pedophiles trying to "convert" kids is pretty sickening. Not remotely the main cause, considering Barbie and Oppenheimer were both flagrantly left wing movies that defined the box office year. I'll tell you what - I see meme after meme from friends about how much they hate the new Star Wars movies. Meme after meme from friends talking shit about Thor 4 and Ant Man. Everyone I know thinks that the Lion King and Little Mermaid remakes were boring despite sharing the trailers in excitement, and these aren't cultural warriors. I don't keep my ear to the animation ground, but I assume that there's a similar kind of backlash against the newer films. Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker (I love TLJ TO BE CLEAR) and the new MCU movies really put a stink out.

I think people also like  nuance and novel looks on things while Disney sort of pushes these ideas but it seems in a cynical way to make money... Also they seem to want to ignore established fanbases, focusing on finding new audiences. 

Barbie wasnt just a man hating film and it had a great message for men.  Oppenhimier had a very nuanced look at Nuclear Geo Politics even though its ending message was anti war and anti nuclear weapons. 

I think people like that nuance then whatever disney is trying to do. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I blame Millennials

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

‘Songbirds & Snakes’ Feasts The Most On Thanksgiving As Pic Slithers To $100M Cume By Sunday; ‘Wish’ 5-Day $35M-$38M; ‘Napoleon’ Eyes $30M-$33M — Box Office

BLACK FRIDAY Update: Refresh for updates…. Moviegoing is always a big day on Black Friday, often one of the highest days of the year with today looking to clock $47.3M, +28% from the same exact day a year ago. Thanksgiving is always a down day to dinners, -35% from Wednesday with $22.7M. However, yesterday’s holiday was also up over 2022 Turkey Day’s $17.7M by +28% with Thursday ruled by Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes with $5.9M.

Industry estimates still see the Suzanne Collins prequel winning the Thanksgiving stretch with a 3-day of $29.3M, 5-day of $42.7M at 3,776 theaters. A $100M running total by Sunday is clearly within sight. Essentially more teens showed up yesterday for Songbirds & Snakes than families did for Wish.

Apple Original Production’s Napoleon via Sony came in second on Thanksgiving with $4.375M at 3,500 locations which includes PLFs and Imax. The Ridley Scott directed war epic is expected to rank third over the weekend with a 3-day of $19.6M and 5-day between $30M-$33M.

Does Disney’s animated Wish close the gap and best Songbirds & Snakes on today which is considered the best day for family moviegoing? Yesterday the movie featuring the voices of Oscar winner Ariana DeBose and Chris Pine saw an estimated $3.9M in what’s looking like a $35M-$38M 5-day in second, estimated 3-day of $20.5M at 3,900.

Amazon MGM’s expansion of Saltburn at 1,566 saw $301K yesterday for a current projected 3-day of $1.56M, $2.55M 5-day and $2.93M running total.

• Like 1