Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

I know its been said already, but whats fascinating to me about Minus besides the story itself is the budget. This movie looks better, grander and costlier than most 200M+ budgeted Hollywood blockbusters, but it was made on a 15M budget. It really does put Hollywood to shame. After all, if they could control their budgets better, many of the giant bombs we laugh about would be far smaller failures financially or maybe could even have a chance at breaking even.

Godzilla -1 shows that its very much possible to make epic movies without having an epic budget. The studios should take notice.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I know its been said already, but whats fascinating to me about Minus besides the story itself is the budget. This movie looks better, grander and costlier than most 200M+ budgeted Hollywood blockbusters, but it was made on a 15M budget. It really does put Hollywood to shame. After all, if they could control their budgets better, many of the giant bombs we laugh about would be far smaller failures financially or maybe could even have a chance at breaking even.

I don't think it's a fair comparison, it's impossible to make the same movie in US with anywhere near the same budget, production price tags in different countries can differ significantly, up to 5-10 times.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Godzilla -1 shows that its very much possible to make epic movies without having an epic budget. The studios should take notice.

I'm pretty sure the ways Japanese studios tend to save money in budget aren't really good to imitate.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, they’ll just add everything in the OW

Thanks for that clarification.

It’s going to have a stellar weekend then. 2 weeks of limited release where it’s been selling quite well, Monday IMAX shows (selling strong) and Wednesday EA shows, all rolled into a weekend number.  Am I crazy, or could this be #1 next weekend??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Does it? Should they? You might want to look into the work/pay culture for Japan first. There's a reason why the WGA and SAG exist here in the United States.

56 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm pretty sure the ways Japanese studios tend to save money in budget aren't really good to imitate.

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

I don't think it's a fair comparison, it's impossible to make the same movie in US with anywhere near the same budget, production price tags in different countries can differ significantly, up to 5-10 times.

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Does it? Should they? You might want to look into the work/pay culture for Japan first. There's a reason why the WGA and SAG exist here in the United States.

My argument was more meant in general, i wasnt meaning to say that Hollywood should copy Japans budget model 1:1 or anythung like that. But i dont think anyone can argue against that fact that Hollywoods' recent blockbuster budgets have gotten so insanely large that they practically doom their movies to automatically fail. If a movie needs to gross 600M WW to merely break even, thats a big problem.

And Godzilla Minus One shows that you dont need a 250M budget to deliver a great and epic movie.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kon said:

In Movie, Studio and Theatres are major winners. Directors gets cuts/royalities from BD/DVD sells. While the source earns from the book (We don't pay royalities to our writers.) Once a fan asked Kishimoto (or Oda I guess) how to make them rich. They said buy our manga (books) instead of watching anime.

For example - 

Kitada Ryouma (mangaka of Dokyuu Hentai HxEros) shared a rough breakdown of his overall income from various sources.

First, income breakdown as a Jump SQ mangaka (45p. per month):

Red (38%) - print royalties
Blue (25%) - digital royalties
Green (20%) - B/W manuscript payment

Doujin Convention (5%), Crowdfunding (4%), Light Novel Illustration (2%), Doujin Non-Conv. Sale (2%), Others (4%)

I won't write here all. You can read here

• Like 1

Wish feels like an even bigger embarrassment than Strange World was at this point. The latter bombing shocked no one (nobody was there for when Disney tried appealing directly to teen boys during the early 2000s, they weren't going to be there 20 years later either), while this is both considered not only Disney's bread and butter (princess musicals) but is supposed to be their big 100 year celebration movie. They blew it, big time.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

Thanks for that clarification.

It’s going to have a stellar weekend then. 2 weeks of limited release where it’s been selling quite well, Monday IMAX shows (selling strong) and Wednesday EA shows, all rolled into a weekend number.  Am I crazy, or could this be #1 next weekend??

I think it can, would be insane if it happens 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wish feels like an even bigger embarrassment than Strange World was at this point. The latter bombing shocked no one (nobody was there for when Disney tried appealing directly to teen boys during the early 2000s, they weren't going to be there 20 years later either), while this is both considered not only Disney's bread and butter (princess musicals) but is supposed to be their big 100 year celebration movie. They blew it, big time.

Already being $30,000 behind the third Trolls movie that opened a weekend earlier is pretty terrible. A sub-$65M gross at this point looks more likely than not - less money than Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie!

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

insanity

at least strange world had the decency of looking completely unappealing 

• Haha 1