Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

9 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 42% Black at THU Previews

@Deadline - Thursday night’s audience pulled in 42% Black, 22% Hispanic and Latino, 20% Caucasian and 10% Asian. Thirty-four percent were men over 25 (90% grade), 26% were women over 25 (95% grade), 25% were men under 25 (87%), and 15% women under 25 (98% grade). Among kids under 12, 61% were boys, 39% were girls.

Black Panther - 37% Black

@Deadline - Screen Engine/ComScore PostTrak reports 37% African-Americans attending, followed by 35% Caucasian, 18% Hispanic, and 5% Asian (they update their exit polls throughout the weekend, as they continually poll). Still, 95% overall positive. Leading demos: Men under 25 (29%), men 25+ (27%), women 25+ (23%) and women under 25 (21%).

I want to flag that deadline's numbers are simply too high to be believable (for what it implies about non-African American audience drop-off). THR's full weekend numbers from posttrak show a more conceptually plausible split. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/black-panther-wakanda-forever-box-office-sequel-1235260713/

• Coogler’s film received an A CinemaScore from audiences and strong exits on PostTrak. One difference: The first Black Panther earned a coveted A+. It played to an ethnically diverse audience, led by Black moviegoers (34 percent) and followed by Caucasians (31 percent), Latinos (21 percent) and Asian/Other (14 percent), according to PostTrak. It also played more evenly gender-wise than most superhero films, with females making up 45 percent of the audience.

I think this is just normal polling error on top of preview bump for most excited audience.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
formatting
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I want to flag that deadline's numbers are simply too high to be believable. THR's full weekend numbers from posttrak show a more conceptually plausible split.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/black-panther-wakanda-forever-box-office-sequel-1235260713/

I see. For Full Weekend Opening - @Deadline gave - 43% Black

"Updated PostTrak held up throughout the weekend at 5 stars and 93% positive (the first one was 95%), an 85% definite recommend (BP was 88%), and a huge share of Black and Latino/Hispanic audiences, at respectively at 43% and 22% (BP was 40% and 18%)."

I usually take demos from MPAA Theme Report but somehow 2022 one is delayed and so I posted the Deadline Hollywood article.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how high did the 2 black panthers get in regards to the black %

Woman King was older 58% over 35; 39% over 45 versus ~10% for Beyonce [with ~45% between 25-34], otherwise it's a good comp

19M OW - 59% Black, 60% women versus ~60% Black 70% women.

Given how people rolled out the national cinema foundation (inferior) report, I'm afraid theme reports might be dead but hopefully I'm wrong. It was really nice to get actual official numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I see. For Full Weekend Opening - @Deadline gave - 43% Black

"Updated PostTrak held up throughout the weekend at 5 stars and 93% positive (the first one was 95%), an 85% definite recommend (BP was 88%), and a huge share of Black and Latino/Hispanic audiences, at respectively at 43% and 22% (BP was 40% and 18%)."

I usually take demos from MPAA Theme Report but somehow 2022 one is delayed and so I posted the Deadline Hollywood article.

Huh, good point. I forgot about the updated demos on Sat but remembered the THR v. deadline discrepancy so my comment was insufficiently caveated. 

Looking at blacklines, This came in on the "Sunday AM" update and none of the numbers changed on the final Monday update (aka they weren't updated). Getting numbers through saturday is pretty common so that's a reasonable read but I'm more inclined to use the final version if I can find them.  

2 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Haven’t seen Silent Night yet but people are saying it’s more of a darker film than the trailers sold, more like Death Wish the OG than some of Woo’s other American pictures. Wonder if that plays a role in the current response.

Oof. That deflated a ton of my hype right there. :(

@Eric Bonaparte @WrathOfHan last one of 2023 wow,

11x:

Trolls Band Together: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental Round 2, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Round 2, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Haunted Mansion Dolby, Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Dolby, Blue Beetle Dolby, Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Stop Making Sense IMAX

Wish: The Little Mermaid IMAX, Elemental 3D, Elemental Round 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Round 4, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Haunted Mansion Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D, The Marvels Dolby

7x:

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Shortcomings, Strays, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

6x:

Dune: Part Two: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Dolby, Oppenheimer IMAX 15/70mm, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Oppenheimer Round 3 IMAX, The Nun II Dolby, Batman Begins

Wonka: Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Blue Beetle Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby

Poor Things: Chevalier, Asteroid City Round 2, Theater Camp Round 0, Theater Camp, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear Dolby, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Round 4, Asteroid City, Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Beetlejuice Dolby, The Marvels Dolby

Napoleon: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Killers of the Flower Moon Dolby, Anatomy of a Fall, Priscilla, Thanksgiving

Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Round 2, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D, Trolls Band Together

The Color Purple: Barbie, Theater Camp, Birth/Rebirth, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX, Trolls Band Together

Mean Girls: Five Nights at Freddy’s, The Marvels Dolby, Priscilla, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Trolls Band Together

5x:

Next Goal Wins: Chevalier, Theater Camp Round 0, Theater Camp, Bottoms, The Marvels Dolby

Argylle: The Royal Hotel, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Anatomy of a Fall, Priscilla, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

4x:

White Bird: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental 3D, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

Drive-Away Dolls: Asteroid City, Asteroid City Round 2, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Talk to Me

Ferrari: Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall, Priscilla, Thanksgiving

3x:

Problemista: You Hurt My Feelings, Past Lives, Talk to Me
The Boy and the Heron: Howl’s Moving Castle, The Night of the Hunter 35mm, Spirited Away
Eileen: Oldboy, The Royal Hotel, Anatomy of a Fall
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: The Marvels Dolby, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
The Iron Claw: The Holdovers 35mm, Priscilla, American Fiction Round 2

2x:

Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Adhira: RRR, RRR Round 2
Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Barbie
Salaar: Part 1 – Ceasefire: Rocky aur Rani Kii Prem Kahani, Jawan
Saltburn: Bottoms, Priscill
Lisa Frankenstein: Five Nights at Freddy’s, Priscilla
All of Us Strangers: The Killer, May December
Maestro: The Killer, May December
Night Swim: Five Nights at Freddy’s, Thanksgiving
The Beekeeper: Five Nights at Freddy’s, American Fiction Round 2
The Boys in the Boat: The Marvels Dolby, American Fiction Round 2
Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce: Thanksgiving, American Fiction Round 2

1x:

MaXXXine: Pearl
Ordinary Angels: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
Elio: Elemental 3D
Leave the World Behind: The Killer
Godzilla Minus One: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Thanksgiving: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire: The Marvels Dolby
The Fall Guy: The Marvels Dolby
Fallen Leaves: The Holdovers 35mm
Dream Scenario: Priscilla
American Fiction: May December
Society of the Snow: May December
Anyone But You: Thanksgiving
Imaginary: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
Arthur the King: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
Origin: American Fiction Round 2
Inside Out 2: Trolls Band Together
The Garfield Movie: Trolls Band Together

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Disney gave in on price - all D+ subscribers (who just joined by the buttload under the Black Friday deal) can get $5 off a ticket to Wish through Fandango til 12/31, or until it's no longer in theaters.  This includes discount ticket days.

This could be an even bigger egg on face if it doesn’t see significant box office jump from it.

That seems better for Renaissance than tracking was suggesting no? 30+? 

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well it will have to be abysmal to only hit the 15-20 range from that tracking was suggesting.  

Yea that’s most likely the range it’ll be in. Had Eras done a traditional release, it probably would have made about $30M in previews on its way to a $100-105M OW. I don’t expect Renaissance to have legs much different than that just because it’s smaller.

• Sad 1

@Blankments @WrathOfHan Couldn't see too much this month. Overnights suck.

16x:

The Marvels: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Toy Story, Theater Camp, Frozen, Haunted Mansion, American Graffitti, Beauty and the Beast, Bottoms, The Incredibles, A Haunting in Venice, The Nun 2, Hocus Pocus, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour, Moana, The Nightmare Before Christmas

13x:

Wish: Elemental, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Toy Story, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, The Incredibles, Coco, The Lion King, Hocus Pocus, Moana, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

9x:

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Asteroid City, Joy Ride, Haunted Mansion, Blue Beetle, Stop Making Sense, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

6x:

Trolls Band Together: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Haunted Mansion, Blue Beetle, Hocus Pocus, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Poor Things: Talk to Me, Theater Camp, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, The Equalizer 3, Priscilla, The Holdovers

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: Uncharted, The Batman, The Creator, Killers of the Flower Moon, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Color Purple: The Little Mermaid, Barbie, Theater Camp, Bottoms, A Haunting in Venice, The Nun 2

Dune: Part Two: Fast X, Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2, Haunted Mansion, Blue Beetle, The Nun 2

Elio: Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, The Incredibles, Coco, The Lion King, Moana

5x:

Five Nights at Freddy's: Fast X, The Boogeyman, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, Bottoms, A Haunting in Venice

The Holdovers: Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2, Theater Camp, A Haunting in Venice, The Creator

4x:

Napoleon: Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, The Creator, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour, Killers of the Flower Moon

Wonka: Blue Beetle, Stop Making Sense, Hocus Pocus, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Argylle: The Creator, Killers of the Flower Moon, Priscilla, The Holdovers

3x:

Killers of the Flower Moon: Oppenheimer, Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, The Nun 2

Next Goal Wins: Blue Beetle, Hocus Pocus, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Drive-Away Dolls: Past Lives, Asteroid City, The Holdovers

Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Joy Ride, Barbie

White Bird: Thor: Love and Thunder, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid

2x:

Priscilla: Past Lives, Talk to Me

Saltburn: A Haunting in Venice, Priscilla

Silent Night: Killers of the Flower Moon, The Holdovers

Ferrari: The Equalizer 3, Killers of the Flower Moon

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, Killers of the Flower Moon

Ordinary Angels: Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, Theater Camp

Problemista: Past Lives, Talk to Me

1x:

Spoiler

Dream Scenario: Priscilla

Journey to Bethlehem: The Nightmare Before Christmas

Thanksgiving: The Nun 2

The Shift: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Boy and the Heron: Stop Making Sense

The Iron Claw: Priscilla

The Boys in the Boats: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Book of Clarence: The Equalizer 3

Mean Girls: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Lisa Frankenstein: The Holdovers

Imaginary: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Arthur the King: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Fall Guy: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Bikeriders: The Creator

The Unbreakable Boy: King Richard

4 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Haven’t seen Silent Night yet but people are saying it’s more of a darker film than the trailers sold, more like Death Wish the OG than some of Woo’s other American pictures. Wonder if that plays a role in the current response.

I mean, even the trailer promised a pretty dark movie? "Man seeks revenge for the murder of his young child" isn't exactly a lighthearted premise. Not sure where the false advertising comes from when they didn't try to hide it.

1 hour ago, XXR Delayed Until 2025 said:

Yea that’s most likely the range it’ll be in. Had Eras done a traditional release, it probably would have made about $30M in previews on its way to a $100-105M OW. I don’t expect Renaissance to have legs much different than that just because it’s smaller.

i think this will reach 20m..even though you don't think that will happen. 

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: The weekend ticket sales for AMC’s second concert film Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé aren’t tumbling down and they’re making a sound: After a solid preview night in line with what we saw for first day presales of $6M+, the concert-docu movie directed, written, produced and starring the 32x Grammy winner is eyeing a $20M-$25M opening at this point in time at 2,539 theaters. On the high end, if Renaissance soars to that point, it will be the best opening for a movie during the sleepy first weekend of December ahead of Tom Cruise’s The Last Samurai which posted $24.2M in 2003. Furthermore, outside of Taylor Swift: Eras Tour‘s anomaly start of $92.8M, a $20M+ opening for Renaissance is quite the solid for a concert movie stateside. Renaissance looks to do between $11M-$12M today.

In second place, is the third weekend of Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes with a great hold of -49% or $14.8M at 3,691 theaters after a $4.1M (-64%) third Friday and running total by EOD Sunday of $121.5M.

In third is Toho International’s Godzilla Minus One with an estimated $5M today (including previews) at 2,308 theaters and $10M-$11M opening. Last night’s turnout was 82% guys, 73% over 25.

In fourth at 3,900 locations is Disney’s Wish with a second Friday of $1.8M (-78%) and 3-day of $7.6M, -61%; not a good result for the second frame of a Disney animated pic which can do double digit millions during the first weekend of December. A year ago the second weekend of Disney disaster Strange World did $5M. Ugh. Running total by EOD Sunday looks to be $42.1M.

Fifth is Apple Original Productions’ Napoleon via Sony at 3,500 sites, which is seeing a $2.3M (-72%) 3-day $7.45M, -64%, and a running total of $46M.

Moksha Movies and Nirvana Cinemas’ Animal from filmmaker Sandeep Reddy Vanga at 697 theaters is looking at $3M today and about $7M for the weekend. The movie is about a son whose love for his father knows no bounds. As their bond begins to fracture, a chain of extraordinary events unfolds causing the son to undergo a remarkable transformation consumed by a thirst for vengeance.

Universal’s third weekend of DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls Band Together at 3,613 is seeing a third Friday of $1.6M, third weekend of $6.8M in 7th, -62%, and a running total of $74M.

• Like 4

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-renaissance-a-film-by-beyonce-godzilla-minus-one-hunger-games-1235647651/

"the concert-docu movie directed, written, produced and starring the 32x Grammy winner is eyeing a $20M-$25M opening at this point in time at 2,539 theaters."

Edit to Add: Beaten to the Punch:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits