Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I think it makes a lot of sense that Toho is going all-out in the international (non-Japan in this case) promoting. Unless im mistaken, Shin Godzilla grossed 1,9M in the US in 2016, this one will do 10 times that amount, thats amazing.

Minus One is also far more universal in appeal than Shin is (which requires some context to get the political satire and commentary).

All things considered not a bad post thanksgiving weekend it seems like. There are have been far worse. Beyonce meeting or beating expectations BOSScontinuing to hold well and Godzilla doing well for what it is. Napoleon not holding well not shocking based on the divisive response.  seeing it tomorrow will see what i think. And the Disney movies enough has been said I think.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Richard Norbert Galambos said:

The new Mikey Madison movie “All Souls”. That’s been on my radar for a year now.

yeah I know there are a bunch of limited releases but anything that could open over 10 million? 

Exception for Godzilla opening with 10-12M 

But you know what’s more exceptional? This just show us there’s room for Boy and Heron to do 15-20M OW (at least to me it feels there’s more hype for him) 

I really hope GKids pump up the marketing and release it in a good amount of theaters 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exception for Godzilla opening with 10-12M 

But you know what’s more exceptional? This just show us there’s room for Boy and Heron to do 15-20M OW (at least to me it feels there’s more hype for him) 

I really hope GKids pump up the marketing and release it in a good amount of theaters 

maybe I missed something, but it’s been in limited release for over a week and we’ve seen no numbers. Is that usual for this distributor?

• Like 1

Starting with first demon slayer surprise with 50m+ during pandemic, foreign film is no longer a small feat here NA. A lot of Indian production like RRR (15m) , Pathaan (17m),  Jawan (15m) and Japanese film such as JJK0 (34m), dragon ball (38m) and suzume(11m), are actually doing quite comparable to small scale movie in USA. Priscilla, the wife of the famous Elvis made 20m, Nicholas cage comedy massive talent got 20m, and famous story Margaret made 20m too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Finally watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, since it just hit streaming.

I don't get all the drama surrounding the film. It was fun, and nothing about this felt like a franchise reboot.

The biggest crime the creators of Indy 5 committed was killing Puss in Boots.

57 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Finally watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, since it just hit streaming.

I don't get all the drama surrounding the film. It was fun, and nothing about this felt like a franchise reboot.

The issue in the end was that franchises can pretty much only play the nostalgia card once - Indy did that with Crystal Skull to disappointing results. 

That means that this time around a "good movie" wasn't enough to attract audiences who are more discerning than ever. It needed to be Raiders level good.

• Like 2