Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | The Boy and The Heron $12.97M, Godzilla -1.0 $8.59M

The Japan duo are doing so well… i really think theaters need to be prioritizing these two (along with BOSS) as far as the holdovers going into the holiday stretch. Of course we’ll see what happens with Heron, but I’m getting cautiously optimistic this is not at all your typical anime (opening already indicating as such) and it won’t fall off a cliff. Unlike all of the other biggest anime OWs, this is not a TV show one with a rabid fanbase, so I think that only bodes well. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Japan duo are doing so well… i really think theaters need to be prioritizing these two (along with BOSS) as far as the holdovers going into the holiday stretch. Of course we’ll see what happens with Heron, but I’m getting cautiously optimistic this is not at all your typical anime (opening already indicating as such) and it won’t fall off a cliff. Unlike all of the other biggest anime OWs, this is not a TV show one with a rabid fanbase, so I think that only bodes well. 

They are, for the most part, but it would be stupid to after Friday.

17 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

They are, for the most part, but it would be stupid to after Friday.

No, it woudnt be stupid. Minus One has now proven to have great staying power and Heron has overperformed its expectations. Extending their runs and giving them enough theaters to have some legs would be whats called "smart".

And anyway, theres still more than enough room for both after Wonka has opened.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Why? Wonka ain't Avatar and it shouldn't have every screen.

I'm not saying it needs to have every screen. But I don't think it's crazy to say (EDIT: Brand new) American films should have precedence in American theaters. Especially family films. And one getting good reviews.

Its just as crazy as people who get upset when American films don't play in China.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m not counting next weekends moves as “holdovers”, they’re part of the Xmas release slate. Even with the onslaught though, there’s room for a solid 3 holdovers to take good screen counts, and Heron/-1 need to be 2 of those. 

An animated will stay at least for daytime shows along with Migration's open - I'd expect one of the Japanese films to end up sharing with that animated.  I'd expect Trolls to stay over Wish, BUT you never know what kinda power Disney can bring to theater negotiations...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

An animated will stay at least for daytime shows along with Migration's open - I'd expect one of the Japanese films to end up sharing with that animated.  I'd expect Trolls to stay over Wish, BUT you never know what kinda power Disney can bring to theater negotiations...

I can see Disney cutting their losses with Wish. They'll get theaters back with the Pixar rereleases next month.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I would vomit if Disney was able to keep Wish precedence over Japan considering how low it will be after next weekend. I doubt even Disney will see much of a point though. 

And lol at “American movies need precedence” MovieMogul? The movies making the most need precedence. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would vomit if Disney was able to keep Wish precedence over Japan considering how low it will be after next weekend. I doubt even Disney will see much of a point though. 

And lol at “American movies need precedence” MovieMogul? The movies making the most need precedence. 

I'm specifically talking about Wonka, a brand new film. I'm not saying we need to keep Wish, Marvels, or even Songbird in theaters over G-1 or Heron.

Why should two films in their 3rd and 2nd weekends get more films (Edit: screens) than a brand new release that's getting positive reviews? If it makes less than Heron or G-1 did in their first weekends, then alter Wonka's screening count. 

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

Dude, Wonka is already getting more screens at launch than Godzilla or Heron got. It doesn't need Avatar level screens and it can coexist with them rather than dominating the market. Its international launch is "good but not super blockbuster level". It wouldn't benefit the marketplace at all to yank movies for it.

Especially since nobody care about Wish.

15 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

He failed geography and can't tell the dif between China and Japan apparently.

I'm pretty sure MysteryMovieMogul knows Godzilla-1 and Heron came from Japan, not China.

He just mentioned China for an example about "how it's stupid that people complaint about a American movie not playing on a foreign country".

Edited by Kon
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MightyDargon said:

Dude, Wonka is already getting more screens at launch than Godzilla or Heron got. It doesn't need Avatar level screens and it can coexist with them rather than dominating the market. Its international launch is "good but not super blockbuster level". It wouldn't benefit the marketplace at all to yank movies for it.

Especially since nobody care about Wish.

I mean, Wonka is going to be the only new film to hypothetically push them out. Of course they'll be held over for one more weekend. Then, Christmas releases are going to push out the rest. The Color Purple, Migration, and Aquaman 2 will be prioritized.

I guess I don't get what you mean by theaters needing to prioritize G-1 and Heron when there's no signs they aren't already. The theater in my city never gets indie films. For example, Asteroid City never played here. But both G-1 and Heron did and still are. 

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Marvels is already down to $1.35m this weekend but it is still in 1,700 theaters for some reason. Time for theaters to cut the deadweight Marvels so Godzilla can stay in theaters longer.

It did lose 500 this week and that was without any major openings. With Wonka coming out I'll be surprised if TM is still over 1000 this weekend.

11 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah I just wish it would've hung around for this weekend and get 1 more really good drop in, considering there was only 1 wide release this week

Indeed it got a good hold, dropping just 36% in 3rd wide weekend. The PTA bounce back big to 1536. This is actually even higher than the opening wide weekend. Meaning the occupancy rate remain high. 10m shouldn’t be a problem if the movie can get one more sweet hold and the movie has been holding strong over mid-week.