Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

I am still convinced that if they had hired a bigger and buzzier star to play the villain in The Marvels instead of Tom Hiddleston's wife that film would have done better. The Marvels, like Aquaman 2, would have always flopped but I think it would have done a little better than it did do with absolutely no star power. And no, I don't consider Brie Larson a star.

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

The only thing I take issue with is that somehow Aquaman 2 be treated as "better" than Flash just because the real budget number hasn't leaked yet. It'll have a higher gross than Flash likely just because of the Christmas weekend but it's actually a bigger waste IMO because WB could have put out a movie that would have actually gone somewhere (i.e. gone over 200 mil US) in Aquaman 2's release slot. Put Aquaman 2 in the Marvels slot and it likely does what Marvels did considering how bad WB is at promoting things that aren't Barbie/Wonka.

Oh my fucking God can you stop it already? I’m reading the last few pages now and you write a variation of the same post 8 times at this point 

You don’t know the budget, you’re not more reliable than trades for us to believe in whatever you want it to be and the movie have a quite decent shot at +400M WW, so double of it’s budget according to dozens of trades more reliable than you. 

It’s not a success, literally nobody here said that. It’s also not a disaster like you want it to be, just a boring flop that in long term won’t gain any money but likely won’t lose much either, it won’t be even top 5 bombs of the year and that’s why no one is talking about it like they talk about The Marvels.

Please get over it

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zak said:

I am still convinced that if they had hired a bigger and buzzier star to play the villain in The Marvels instead of Tom Hiddleston's wife that film would have done better. The Marvels, like Aquaman 2, would have always flopped but I think it would have done a little better than it did do with absolutely no star power. And no, I don't consider Brie Larson a star.

Season 12 GIF by The Bachelorette

The main reason people are interested in Aquaman performing better than The Marvels is because DC is the laughing stock of the superhero world and has been for years. So seeing one of their films do nearly double The Marvels is surprising, to say the least.

Nobody is saying this movie isn't a bomb. It definitely won't profit. It probably won't break even. The reason so many of us are enthusiastic is because it's doing well compared to what initial tracking suggested. That's literally all it is. 

• Like 2

Not entirely sold on 50M for ABY yet. Impressive run, yes, especially given expectations. But looking at the JLo movie Second Act, ABY is only running a few % ahead of that film's run, which ended at 39M.

Thinking closer to 45M total, which is still pretty good. It's only a few million away from No Hard Feelings this summer, which had JLaw and a big marketing campaign.

• Like 1

Wonka is locked for +600M atp, still have a good shot at 700M depending on it’s run after holidays, amazing.

Aquaman probably locked for +350M, good shot at 400M. 

With a tiny 75M budget for Migration and imo a likely 300M gross, it’s a success. 

Godzilla and Heron holding very well, with some expansion 50M and 45M are probably locked. 

ABY is surprising, Iron Claw is doing good.

Honestly, it’s not a good holiday season but it’s far better than I thought it would be lol

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

Also happy for Poor Things, probably locked for +20M at this point, which is amazing for a movie like this.

Really hoping they know how to keep it relevant on theaters during January so they can push it further in FEB - MAR with obviously many Oscar nominations. Hoping for 30M 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not entirely sold on 50M for ABY yet. Impressive run, yes, especially given expectations. But looking at the JLo movie Second Act, ABY is only running a few % ahead of that film's run, which ended at 39M.

Thinking closer to 45M total, which is still pretty good. It's only a few million away from No Hard Feelings this summer, which had JLaw and a big marketing campaign.

Anyone But You also cost $20m less than No Hard Feeling to make, budget is $25m. 

I agree I think between $38-42m final. 

3 minutes ago, dallas said:

The main reason people are interested in Aquaman performing better than The Marvels is because DC is the laughing stock of the superhero world and has been for years. So seeing one of their films do nearly double The Marvels is surprising, to say the least.

Nobody is saying this movie isn't a bomb. It definitely won't profit. It probably won't break even. The reason so many of us are enthusiastic is because it's doing well compared to what initial tracking suggested. That's literally all it is. 

Agreed, The Marvels was shocking because it’s a 200M grosser when every MCU movie grossed at least 400M consistently in the past 15 years. 

Aquaman is a flop but it’s still on it’s path for maybe 400M which is bigger than the last 8 or so entries on DCU, of course it’ll be perceived better. 

I even bet it would do ~600 if it was release 2 years ago before DCU death and MCU saturation. 

• Like 1

Aquaman 2 was always going to flop and gross more than The Marvels. 

The Marvels being apart of the most successful film franchise of all time and grossing less than The Flash, which had The Worst press for a big budget film this year, and Aquaman 2 is a stunning embarrassment for Disney. 

• Like 1

Marvels take the cake for biggest bomb of 2023. 2nd should be Flash as expectations for that was higher. Indy should be third. Wish is the other one which should be in Top 5. You can pick anything else for 5th movie. 

MI7 should top the disappointment list. Its not a bomb but its number is meh and it was received well by the audience who saw the movie. I am not sure anything else should be in this list. May be D&D, Killers of the Flower Moon, Equalizer 3 and Color Purple(Epic collapse after OD).

Barbie, Mario, Oppenheimer, Spiderverse, Guardians 3? and Wonka for Top 6 success. I put a question mark for Guardians as despite its success and good reception, it dropped from previous movie. Still a success and deserves to be in this list. 

• Like 4

Speaking of Harry Potter, there has been a sudden backlash online against the later films becoming more desaturated in their color grading to emphasize the growing darkness. I remember that being heavily praised at the time 

https://old.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/18uvoh2/why_did_harry_potter_movies_decide_to_stop_using/

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Unironically, the most exciting thing in film world rn is Saltburn blowing up on streaming. Everyone is talking about it, don't know why the studio wasted it in the platform release that couldn't reach the right audience. They geared it to Poor Things crowd whereas the movie proved a hit with TikTok one. 

how big we talking?

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Wow. It will make only about 600-700 less than than the previous movie rather than 700-800 less. In the most favorable time of year for a movie to have legs. Yay!?

Who said yay? Everyone is calling Aquaman 2 a bomb. Releasing a film during the Holidays isn't cheating. Why are Disney fans implying that it is? Were Disney cheating too when they released Star Wars in December? 

Edited by Zak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zak said:

Who said yay? Everyone is calling Aquaman 2 a bomb. Releasing a film during the Holidays isn't cheating. Why are Disney fans implying that it is? We're Disney cheating too when they released Star Wars in December? 

Yeah I'm just happy that it's doing better than most DC movies have done in the past 5 years.