Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

Friday the 13th 2009?  It made 19.2m on Friday the 13th and finished with 65m

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Friday-the-13th-(2009)#tab=box-office

Ironically could be an almost identical run to TCP 

I also just realized there’s Renaissance, likely falling just short of 3x OD. I don’t really think that should count though given the weekend only nature. 

Edited by MovieMan89

So I took a peak earlier at how Anyone But You was doing in my area today, and I noticed that almost every evening showtime in my area was mostly full, which made me curious about if the multiplexes might move it to their bigger screens, and sure enough the three closest to me are upgrading it to screens with more seating than they had today. One is moving from a 73 seater to t 121 seater! How often does that happen, especially with a non-blockbuster that opened at #5? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

And just in case you missed it or I’ve been unclear for those who I know want to hear it… Wonka is obviously not doing a 10x+ multi or getting #3 for the year. Not even close. Way way off about that. Not even sure of it will get to 6x now 

Wonka's NY day is really a weak spot. 34% decrease from Christmas to NY is one of the weaker hold I've seen. Doesn't bode well for post holiday hold. 

NWH -27%

ATOW -16%

TFA -31%

ITSV +10%

Jumanji NL -13%

Jumanji -15%

MPB -24%

35 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Wonka's NY day is really a weak spot. 34% decrease from Christmas to NY is one of the weaker hold I've seen. Doesn't bode well for post holiday hold. 

NWH -27%

ATOW -16%

TFA -31%

ITSV +10%

Jumanji NL -13%

Jumanji -15%

MPB -24%

Yeah but I mean something has to hold decently? Like it’s gonna be just brutal out there in Jan/feb if we don’t even get any notable numbers from holdovers. I don’t think 2024 would be able to recover from it in terms of the year being a lock to decrease 

5 hours ago, Legion Again said:

It’s morning in America, bodes well for Nov 😎

3 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

01.jpg

Reasonably sure you're misinterpreting Legion's subtext here. 😉 

(which is fine as I think the folks who left reactions on Legion's post misinterpreted it as well.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(which is fine as I think the folks who left reactions on Legion's post misinterpreted it as well.)

No I put that because I'm a fan of this specific user :hahaha:

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dallas said:

I don't see a lot of people talking about this, but Wonka is well on its way to be Warner Bros' 3rd highest grossing movie of the 2020s. 

I mean, that’s not a particularly special milestone. Other studios have multiple films that grossed that amount or more, while Warner Bros also has Barbie this year that grossed significantly more than what Wonka will do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I mean, that’s not a particularly special milestone. Other studios have multiple films that grossed that amount or more, while Warner Bros also has Barbie this year that grossed significantly more than what Wonka will do.

Of course. Just figured it was worth pointing out. 2023 has probably been WB's best year post-Covid, and on their 100th anniversary, no less. 

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

lol I thought this was a conservative/pro-Trump dogwhistle (think Trump’s team used this quote in their campaign, so not my fault!). If it is indeed just saying Biden gets re-elected…well that’s not good either, but not as bad as the alternative! Reaction has been rescinded!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

lol I thought this was a conservative/pro-Trump dogwhistle (think Trump’s team used this quote in their campaign, so not my fault!). If it is indeed just saying Biden gets re-elected…well that’s not good either, but not as bad as the alternative! Reaction has been rescinded!

Btw this post isn’t an excuse to talk politics, so like…don’t.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

lol I thought this was a conservative/pro-Trump dogwhistle 

its just a famous political ad from 1984

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Smh kids these days don’t even know their 40 year old political ad references

I think lemon was just talking about me though 😛 

Edited by Legion Again
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Speedorito said:

it's a news this movie is doing more than Tenet (pandemic but stil...), Fantastic Beats and all these DC cinecomic are not Batman. Also because all of these got double budget and double marketing investement. 

9 hours ago, emoviefan said:

And yet it  still is a successful movie by all metrics.  It just did not break out big   the way we hoped it could. Having seen the movie and really liking it still  does not surprise me. My guess is  it being a musical really has  hurt it. They were probably right to hide that fact in the end. 

I think it did break out, it's just that some people got too excited and set the bar so high for this movie expecting it to pull a mini-Barbie or have Jumanji and Greatest Showman legs. Like that's something that happens all the time.

I don't think the pre-release expectations for Wonka were to easily fly by the 2005 movie unadjasted WW total. It's a prequel, Timothee-Paul King are nowhere near Burton-Depp 2000s fame and it had a fair amount of bad buzz before it came out.

There's an alternate universe where Wonka has a more tepid reception in line with pre-release expectations, does Mary Poppins Returns boxoffice and that would still be fine for it all things considered. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

it's a news this movie is doing more than Tenet (pandemic but stil...), Fantastic Beats and all these DC cinecomic are not Batman. Also because all of these got double budget and double marketing investement. 

Wonka isn’t exactly an original or obscure IP. I’m not saying Wonka isn’t having a good performance, I’m just saying it’s not really some grand milestone. Also don’t really know if they gave it a much smaller marketing push (doubt it).