Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

Migration is actually falling behind trolls by end of the holiday. Trolls was already 66m at this point versus 59m. This got me worried if migration can hit 100m

Edited by titanic2187

I watched a Mean Girls "ad" on Instagram, and it reminded me about how weird social media marketing has gotten. It was of the actors from the movie, in character, receiving candy canes. Instead of being charming, it was extremely cringe.

So, I watched Aquaman with the family and an extra college friend of my girls.  Surprisingly, pretty good.  It was everything I wanted from Aquaman.  There is a scene where I said "that's the Aquaman comic solution - Wan just understands the comic hero so well."  I liked this movie better than the 1st.  Now, I didn't really like the 1st, so don't go nuts.  It has a well told story that hangs together, some nice fight scenes out of water, and nice usage of Mera and the other aqua heroes (if anyone was missing, it was Nicole Kidman's character, not Amber Heard's).  It was obvious they decided to cut the story/film to fit what worked the best - the "odd couple" Orm and Arthur and Arthur/his dad/his baby, so some scenes are surprisingly short or seemed like there was 15 more minutes they put in originally.  But, sometimes being a good movie maker is knowing what ended up working on film, and I think we got the best cut of this movie there could be.  That said, my spouse, unlike me, liked the 1st better, but then again, he did like this one.  Here's the grades...

Me - B/B- - everything I want out of a good superhero movie.  A little wonky on the cuts, a few scenes could use better CGI, and it's not all that original - but very satisfied (I gave the 1st movie a C+)

Spouse - B/B- - he gave the 1st an A- - just didn't feel this one as much - it's tough not to be original anymore

Oldest - B - she liked it

2nd oldest - "It's a superhero movie" as a grade - she liked it

3rd oldest - A- - he liked it

youngest - B+ - he also liked it

College Male - A- - he also liked it a lot

Again, a great holiday release b/c no one hates it.  No one really complains about X, Y, or Z with this one.  Was it safe - yes.  But I'm okay with that - I like seeing an uplifting family movie at New Year's...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, dallas said:

Aquaman will probably pass Black Adam imo. 

I hope so. I'm starting to think that The Marvels and A2 bombed cause The Rock cursed everyone who sold out to the Family. :lol: It would be fitting if A2 passed BA even if it still flopped.

27 minutes ago, dallas said:

Aquaman will probably pass Black Adam imo. 

At 270M already, it would have to really fall off a cliff to not reach 400M 

Considering CS it can happen, but OS reception is better and it’s run so far doesn’t suggest the B on CS is really hurting it

So, I got to watch a lot of trailers for 2024 movie's today...

And dang, are they leaning HARD into the ROM for The Fall Guy.  I didn't see much COM - instead, it seems like a Tom Cruise action movie, where he always has the love interest as a strong 2nd plot...

Furiosa looked fine, but not my thing.  Dune 2 looks strong, but not my thing (but I may watch that one anyway, b/c I did watch the 1st).  Apes looks awful - like bomb of the summer awful to me...but it's not my thing.  My kids reacted very negatively to Apes, if you want the whisperers reaction.  I missed Bob Marley for a bathroom break, but spouse remembered what I missed so that's something.  Night Swim looks like it always has - a cheap jump scare horror, but those can be fun if they are scary or stupid enough.  The Beekeeper finally figured out it had to show how it related to its title, but my older kids said it still needed more bees.  And Mean Girls was a 10 second ad, so no reaction.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

And dang, are they leaning HARD into the ROM for The Fall Guy.  I didn't see much COM - instead, it seems like a Tom Cruise action movie, where he always has the love interest as a strong 2nd plot...

Furiosa looked fine, but not my thing.  Dune 2 looks strong, but not my thing (but I may watch that one anyway, b/c I did watch the 1st).  Apes looks awful - like bomb of the summer awful to me...but it's not my thing.  My kids reacted very negatively to Apes, if you want the whisperers reaction.  I missed Bob Marley for a bathroom break, but spouse remembered what I missed so that's something.  Night Swim looks like it always has - a cheap jump scare horror, but those can be fun if they are scary or stupid enough.  The Beekeeper finally figured out it had to show how it related to its title, but my older kids said it still needed more bees.  And Mean Girls was a 10 second ad, so no reaction.

Bro liked the Kraven trailer but not the Apes trailer 😭

3 minutes ago, dallas said:

Bro liked the Kraven trailer but not the Apes trailer 😭

See, I have wild taste.  I HATED the Apes trailer viscerally.  It's well done visually (no complaints on how it's made), but NOTHING about the movie and the seeming plot is gonna draw me in.  Humans as subhuman - pass.  Humans as slaves of Apes - double pass.  Ugh.  I watched the 1st 2 Apes movies and then quit, so I admit, maybe I'm supposed to be revolted by humanity in the 3rd.  Even then, though...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So what is the movie which have the best reaction in the room and the movie which you’re the most interested ?

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

At 270M already, it would have to really fall off a cliff to not reach 400M 

Considering CS it can happen, but OS reception is better and it’s run so far doesn’t suggest the B on CS is really hurting it

Like BOSAS's B+. Didn't hurt. CS is unpredictable cause it really depends on OW rush audience rating that may defer from later audience's interest and reception.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, I have wild taste.  I HATED the Apes trailer viscerally.  It's well done visually (no complaints on how it's made), but NOTHING about the movie and the seeming plot is gonna draw me in.  Humans as subhuman - pass.  Humans as slaves of Apes - double pass.  Ugh.  I watched the 1st 2 Apes movies and then quit, so I admit, maybe I'm supposed to be revolted by humanity in the 3rd.  Even then, though...

Do you…not know what the whole premise of these movies are? That’s the whole point of this series since 1968.

• Like 1