Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

whats coming out this year besides Dune, Furiosa, and Gladiator 2

All sequels. Btw...there's too many sequels this year and i think people want something fresh

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Sydney Sweeney is a huge star. 

She has the chops for dramatic work (Her performance in Reality was praised by critics) and also for light hearted fare (Anyone but you)

Terrible NYD holds tbh.

I asked before, but do we know the lowest OD multis ever for wide releases? I checked the usual suspects of Twilights and super frontloaded CBMs and CD openers and all still turned up at least 4x OD multis.

TCP continues to track below Ali in holds and gross, meaning about a 63 finish if it can follow those holds. If it keeps doing worse, less than that though. Just so weird to have the most OD frontloaded movie maybe ever be this of all things. 

And just in case you missed it or I’ve been unclear for those who I know want to hear it… Wonka is obviously not doing a 10x+ multi or getting #3 for the year. Not even close. Way way off about that. Not even sure of it will get to 6x now 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Terrible NYD holds tbh.

I asked before, but do we know the lowest OD multis ever for wide releases? I checked the usual suspects of Twilights and super frontloaded CBMs and CD openers and all still turned up at least 4x OD multis.

TCP continues to track below Ali in holds and gross, meaning about a 63 finish if it can follow those holds. If it keeps doing worse, less than that though. Just so weird to have the most OD frontloaded movie maybe ever be this of all things. 

Friday the 13th 2009?  It made 19.2m on Friday the 13th and finished with 65m

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Friday-the-13th-(2009)#tab=box-office

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And just in case you missed it or I’ve been unclear for those who I know want to hear it… Wonka is obviously not doing a 10x+ multi or getting #3 for the year. Not even close. Way way off about that. Not even sure of it will get to 6x now 

Alison Brie What GIF

(but good on you for acknowledging anyway. I tried to pre-warn everyone and set reasonable expectations…)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dallas said:

Bro liked the Kraven trailer but not the Apes trailer 😭

Kraven has a significantly better director than Apes; it’s night and day how different the two are in terms of quality. That said both will probably bomb

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Kraven has a significantly better director than Apes; it’s night and day how different the two are in terms of quality. That said both will probably bomb

Looked up who was directing Kraven and said "oof" out loud. I guess Triple Frontier was a warning, but Chandor really didn't need to join the Marvel industrial complex.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Friday the 13th 2009?  It made 19.2m on Friday the 13th and finished with 65m

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Friday-the-13th-(2009)#tab=box-office

Well, it's good to know TCP wouldn't be the worst drop from OD.

Still, I'm surprised the current holds for TCP are so poor. It's curious how we went from "100M DOM is safe" to "70M DOM may be a stretch".

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

whats coming out this year besides Dune, Furiosa, and Gladiator 2

These are ones I'm at least sort of interested in, not sure if they're 2024 but they're all at least in production:

Anora

Blitz

Challengers

Civil War

The Front Room

Horizon

In the Blink of an Eye

Kinds of Kindness

Kosinski F1 project

The Legend of Ochi

Megalopolis

Mickey 17

The Magnificent Life of Marcel Pagnol

Mother Mary

Nosferatu

Sandler/Safdie project

Spaceman

We Live in Time

The Wild Robot
Wallace and Gromit project

Wildwood

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

And yet it  still is a successful movie by all metrics.  It just did not break out big   the way we hoped it could. Having seen the movie and really liking it still  does not surprise me. My guess is  it being a musical really has  hurt it. They were probably right to hide that fact in the end. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Looked up who was directing Kraven and said "oof" out loud. I guess Triple Frontier was a warning, but Chandor really didn't need to join the Marvel industrial complex.

Margin Call 2 when the next recession hits