Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

23 minutes ago, dallas said:

I remember when people were saying that Aquabro would finish below X-Men: Dark Phoenix lol. How the tides have turned.

It is an exaggeration to say the tide has turned unless Aqua start legging out like Elemental and overtake Wonka as the biggest movie of the season. That being said, the worst is over. Perhaps people need to be a little bit patience with holiday releases.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Marvels take the cake for biggest bomb of 2023. 2nd should be Flash as expectations for that was higher. Indy should be third. Wish is the other one which should be in Top 5. You can pick anything else for 5th movie. 

MI7 should top the disappointment list. Its not a bomb but its number is meh and it was received well by the audience who saw the movie. I am not sure anything else should be in this list. May be D&D, Killers of the Flower Moon, Equalizer 3 and Color Purple(Epic collapse after OD).

Barbie, Mario, Oppenheimer, Spiderverse, Guardians 3? and Wonka for Top 6 success. I put a question mark for Guardians as despite its success and good reception, it dropped from previous movie. Still a success and deserves to be in this list. 

IMO what locks Guardians 3 as a huge success is the fact that everything else in the genre (apart from an animation) was a disaster this year and even Guardians was feeling like a disappointment in the making before the WOM turned out to be one of the best ever for CBM’s. 

Getting close to vol 2 is probably the biggest victory this would ever get in this context 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I really don’t find this Christmas season boring at all.

The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers, Poor Things, Anyone But You are all interesting to follow. So are Wonka, Aquaman and Migration. So is the Color Purple for the unexpected drop off, and Boys in the Boat came out of nowhere.

The wealth is spread and that’s much more interesting than following Avatar 2 on its own. 

But figures reflect differently. Last year Avatar OW weekend thread, the 2nd weekend thread and the subsequent holiday weekdays thread all passes 100 pages but this year we hardly hit a quarter of which this year.

• Like 2

IMO The Flops:

1. The Marvels 

2. The Flash 

3. Wish 

4. Indy 5 

5. Haunted Mansion 

The somewhat decent but disappointing performances:

1. Mission Impossible 

2. Fast X 

3. The Little Mermaid

4. Napoleon 

5. Killers Of The Flower Moon 

The surprising “hits” that was supposed to bomb: 

1. Elemental 

2. Hunger Games 

3. Transformers 

4. Meg 2 

5. Insidious 5 (don’t remember anyone thinking it would do 100M much less 200M).

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

IMO what locks Guardians 3 as a huge success is the fact that everything else in the genre (apart from an animation) was a disaster this year and even Guardians was feeling like a disappointment in the making before the WOM turned out to be one of the best ever for CBM’s. 

Getting close to vol 2 is probably the biggest victory this would ever get in this context 

Oh it's 100% a success. The biggest CBM of the year and Disney's only film to actually profit. And now Gunn is running Marvel's biggest competitor. Shakespearen irony lol

• Like 1

Anyone But You will outgross No Hard Feelings and with no big star leading it. Quite the win for Sony.

The Iron Claw will also easily enter the A24 top 6. 

I'm confident The Color Purple will have a healthy January and pass 100 mil too.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Also the only 200M+ budgeted film to be a success this year

I think Elemental get there as well, it’s virtually at 500M without a huge marketing campaign beyond the big budget. Jim Morris said it was profitable in theaters alone and some Disney press release confirms it, plus it also ended up being a huge seller in PVOD and a phenomenon at streaming. 

Guardians is probably the only big success and Elemental is a success because it turn out profitable even if not a big one.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Speaking of Harry Potter, there has been a sudden backlash online against the later films becoming more desaturated in their color grading to emphasize the growing darkness. I remember that being heavily praised at the time 

https://old.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/18uvoh2/why_did_harry_potter_movies_decide_to_stop_using/

It's not sudden, there were always fans unhappy with the increasingly drab color palette of HP. Especially the Yates years when he was just doing a watered down version of Cuarón's visual flair. The "desaturation equals serious" idea was widespread in films beyond the series and got old with overuse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think Elemental get there as well, it’s virtually at 500M without a huge marketing campaign beyond the big budget. Jim Morris said it was profitable in theaters alone and some Disney press release confirms it, plus it also ended up being a huge seller in PVOD and a phenomenon at streaming. 

Guardians is probably the only big success and Elemental is a success because it turn out profitable even if not a big one.

Yeah Elemental's success is quite impressive. I thought for sure it was bound to flop. 

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's not sudden, there were always fans unhappy with the increasingly drab color palette of HP. Especially the Yates years when he was just doing a watered down version of Cuarón's visual flair. The "desaturation equals serious" idea was widespread in films beyond the series and got old with overuse.

really? I don’t remember this. HBP even got a best cinematography nomination. 

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah not sure where that complaint is coming from. The Half Blood Prince photography is great and Phoenix and the DH"S were good too.

Edited by emoviefan

Half Blood Prince got the best cinematography nomination not because of its colour palette but its strikingly impressionistic imagery (just rewatched a clip and there's some stunning work here). That Bruno Delbonnel magic!!

I thought the Deathly Hollow movies looked like shit though.

Edit: Kept rewatching clips and the way David Yates just shits on Delbonnel's photography with shitty editing lol

Edited by lorddemaxus

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Sure critics liked it at the time but the Potter fandom is large and varied, there were always people who preferred the visual language of the earlier films. It's probably not a majority opinion even now, but there are millions and millions of HP fans, absolutely any sentiment about the series could get a few hundred comments in agreement on Reddit.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Aquman 2 is a flop but I think it is impressive it is beating The Marvels and likely The Flash since it is the last part in a dead universe that WB all but dumped. The Marvels was part of an ongoing series that was supposed to set things up for the future and The Flash was hyped up like hell from WB

That will never stop being funny. Huge reason why the movie's floppage is still such a huge joke "couldn't even beat The Flash". Never set expectations high. Eternals, The Flash have only their unreasonable bosses to blame. OTOH, Anything But You set expectations low and now is the overperformer of the season.

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I mean those three at the bottom of the top 10 are making around the same as what Poor Things is from 800 theatres.

What makes the rest of the top 10 pretentious? 

Poor Things PTA in 800 theaters is worse than some PTA's from 3000 theaters. It's obvious that only arthouse crowd is carrying that one. The more it expands the emptier the theaters save speciality ones in LA and NYC. Nothing against the movie and rooting for Emma's second win but festival critics acted like it was EEAAO 2.0 and it totally isn't unless I'm missing something.