Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

6 minutes ago, Tina said:

So happy Anyone But You is doing well. Now can studios release more romcoms to theaters?? Does anyone know of any is scheduled to release this year? 

There's another one coming out in a few weeks that's a Fathom Event release strangely enough

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I'm hoping we get more Rom Coms now. Ones that are fun and romantic not cringy and sh-tty. 

Rom Com novels saw a bit of a resurgence on Tik Tok with authors like Ali Hazelwood. Her Reylo fanfiction with the names changed has been picked up but no movement yet. I could see a lot of that stuff coming through

• Heart 1

Chris Nolan proves his genius yet again, discovering Glenn Powell in The Dark Knight Rises. 😎

But serious, Sweeney is 100x hotter than he is. She is...blessed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tina said:

So happy Anyone But You is doing well. Now can studios release more romcoms to theaters?? Does anyone know of any is scheduled to release this year? 

Challengers!

Lisa Frankenstein is hoping for some Valentine's Day coins but that's going more for an attempt at trying to bring the Wednesday/Stranger Things crowd out to a movie theater. The new Scarlett Johansson/Channing Tatum movie coming out in July (an Apple release through Sony) is being billed as a romcom so that might be one to look out for with the legitimate star power it has behind it.

Nightswim's Posttrak - dang...from Deadline...

"Night Swim landed a C CinemaScore which is middling for a horror film. CinemaScore is always harder on horror movie. But even more cynical are Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak audiences who drowned this latest title from Blumhouse and Atomic Monster with one star and a 45% positive and a 26% recommend, which translates into a don’t-recommend. Near even split between males and females at 51%/49%. Sixty percent of ticketbuyers were between 18-34 with 18-24 year olds the biggest demo at 33%. Diversity demos were 37% Caucasian, 31% Latino, 19% Black, and 7% Asian."

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-night-swim-wonka-1235695828/

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

I feel like post-COVID there’s been so many movies that “come out” but no-one is even aware of their existence so they almost feel like fake movies. Devotion’s definitely one of those, so I wouldn’t really hold it against him

There's also the Jonathan Majors of it all with that movie now.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nightswim's Posttrak - dang...from Deadline...

"Night Swim landed a C CinemaScore which is middling for a horror film. CinemaScore is always harder on horror movie. But even more cynical are Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak audiences who drowned this latest title from Blumhouse and Atomic Monster with one star and a 45% positive and a 26% recommend, which translates into a don’t-recommend. Near even split between males and females at 51%/49%. Sixty percent of ticketbuyers were between 18-34 with 18-24 year olds the biggest demo at 33%. Diversity demos were 37% Caucasian, 31% Latino, 19% Black, and 7% Asian."

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-night-swim-wonka-1235695828/

I think that it’s been a long time since I’ve seen such a bad posttrack

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

Anyone but You and Aquaman 2 will really fight for the third place this weekend.

I don't understand why WB completely dumped this movie. They should have at least released the first trailer with Barbie

Edited by John Marston

The Color Purple being "horror movie with a gimmicky release date" levels of frontloaded is something I don't think anyone saw coming before it was released. Definitely turned into quite a disappointing run after appearing so strong out the gate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

After have been behind ABY and Boys and The Boat , TCP has made a another exploit: that of being behind the Iron Claw 😬

WOW. The Color Purple has been rejected.

Christmas Day was really misleading.

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Anyone But You is holding really well but when you realize something like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days adjusts to 185 million domestically, it really shows much less people go to the movies these days

I think we already know that.

We can just hope Anyone But You can mantain its legs for a while.

Edited by Kon