Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

Sing 2's harsh drops post Holiday season might also be explained by people being more willing to pay up for PVOD when omicron was still dominating the news, then gradually proceeding to show up again in theaters for it when it faded. Will be interesting to see how Migration holds through the month since the Ferdinand comparison I don't envision will be of use after this week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Sing 2's harsh drops post Holiday season might also be explained by people being more willing to pay up for PVOD when omicron was still dominating the news, then gradually proceeding to show up again in theaters for it when it faded. Will be interesting to see how Migration holds through the month since the Ferdinand comparison I don't envision will be of use after this week.

Both Sing 2 and PIB2 had their PVOD date on 3rd Friday of the run but so far I haven't seen any PVOD debut date for Migration. If they followed Trolls 3 then it should stay exclusively in theater until post MLK weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Both Sing 2 and PIB2 had their PVOD date on 3rd Friday of the run but so far I haven't seen any PVOD debut date for Migration. If they followed Trolls 3 then it should stay exclusively in theater until post MLK weekend. 

Digital date is January 23rd, so a little later. I wouldn't expect it to have a huge impact at this point since it didn't for Puss.

58 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Given that Wonka has been overestimated every single day after its opening weekend, so much that  last weekend's projections went down from 33 to the actual 28 milion, i wouldn't be surprised if:

1- Night Swim goes on to win the weekend by an hair

2- Wonka fails to reach 200 M or ends up with a sub 5x multiplier (when people here where initially expecting it to make as much as 350-400 M).

Weren't most movies overestimated last weekend due to New Year's Eve?

4 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

In the Top 3 this weekend ? This run for this movie is impressive

It seems Anyone but You has a good possibility for the Top 3.

It has a better Friday than Migration (I don't know the Friday numbers for Aquaman 2 yet).

Glen Powell is the guy that Hollywood thought Chris Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt was. Praying he doesn't get sucked into the superhero vortex, since I feel like he has the it factor to be the first new leading man in... forever?

Edited by TMP
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I think with Fall Guy it just depends if it’s any good or not. At the moment it looks like a throwaway Netflix production and I keep having to remind myself it’s a proper cinematic non-streamer movie. 

That's the problem.  These types of movie's have been mostly banished to streaming so that when one is being sold and marketed as a big theatrical exclusive the goal is to retrain  audiences to want to see these types of movies in a theater again. With the CBM genre imploding as the dominant theater going genre, would love nothing more than the old school star driven movie to rise again. I think and hope The Fall Guy can pull it off if good as you say. 

mfw The Fall Guy opens to $70m, while also becoming the first May tentpole opener since MI 3 to not be a Marvel movie

jvicke417kdb1.jpg

Would be really cool to see big star vehicles opening the summer like this become the norm if this pans out. I just don't trust Leitch at all, and thought Bullet Train was a bit cringe. We'll see!

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Natasha Bedingfield’s ‘Unwritten’ Up After ‘Anyone But You’ Usage – Billboard

Up 156% all because it's the theme of the movie lol. Gonna laugh this turns into another decades-later-hit-again ala "Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)" due to a new generation discovering it via prominent use in a movie/TV show.

One of the most random pieces of trivia about Unwritten that I know thanks to Todd in the Shadows is that the song is co-written by The New Radicals of "You get what you give" fame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Glen Powell is the guy that Hollywood thought Chris Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt was. Praying he doesn't get sucked into the superhero vortex, since I feel like he has the it factor to be the first new leading man in... forever?

After watching TGM, I came away thinking the guy just looks like an old school Hollywood movie star. Glad it’s looking up after a rough setback with Devotion

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Natasha Bedingfield’s ‘Unwritten’ Up After ‘Anyone But You’ Usage – Billboard

Up 156% all because it's the theme of the movie lol. Gonna laugh this turns into another decades-later-hit-again ala "Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)" due to a new generation discovering it via prominent use in a movie/TV show.

It's funny because at the same time we have a resurgence of " Murder on the Dance Floor " of Sophie Ellis Bextor which returned on the top 10 in UK and climb almost on the top 50 at level global in Spotify thanks to Saltburn ( and Tiktok)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

mfw The Fall Guy opens to $70m, while also becoming the first May tentpole opener since MI 3 to not be a Marvel movie

jvicke417kdb1.jpg

Would be really cool to see big star vehicles opening the summer like this become the norm if this pans out. I just don't trust Leitch at all, and thought Bullet Train was a bit cringe. We'll see!

Think The Fall Guy will do pretty well, but more in the $35-45M opening range. Going to need everything to go well for that type of explosion to occur.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

and thought Bullet Train was a bit cringe. We'll see!

Bullet Train overdid it's schtick by the end, it was really fun to start with but when you end up with an unneeded flashback for a water bottle right in the middle of the climactic action scene, it's gone way farther than it needed to. Also Michael Shannon was miscast, didn't buy him as the Samurai master at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

After watching TGM, I came away thinking the guy just looks like an old school Hollywood movie star. Glad it’s looking up after a rough setback with Devotion

I feel like post-COVID there’s been so many movies that “come out” but no-one is even aware of their existence so they almost feel like fake movies. Devotion’s definitely one of those, so I wouldn’t really hold it against him

• Like 1