Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

Really good for Mean Girls and The Beekeper. Two nice hits to continue on early 2024. Book of Clarence bombed though.

Nice totals for Wonka, The Iron Claw, Aquaman 2 and Anyone But You. I still find the $40m for Boys in the Boat extremely impressive cause I had never heard of until the day of release when it was mentioned on here lol. 

Go Poor Things! Wish All of us Strangers was doing better and getting more nominations. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wish All of us Strangers was doing better and getting more nominations. 

From now on, I am preparing to be wrecked emotionally by any film with Paul Mescal. Amazing to think that he’s an actor now because an injury derailed his football (soccer) career. Glad he’s getting a star making turn in the upcoming Gladiator sequel to go along with his Oscar nom from last year.

1 hour ago, Eric George said:

Okay, maybe this could get close to The Favourite after all, if Searchlight plays its cards right. Even in a depressed market compared to 2018, this would still be incredible for something so unconventional and off-putting.

It’s weirdly something of a crowd pleaser (for those crowds who can get past all the, you know)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MisterLibby said:

It’s weirdly something of a crowd pleaser (for those crowds who can get past all the, you know)

I found Poor Things very uplifting too. It’s strange, sure, but it’s a joy. 

Looking ahead, it’s a shame both Origin and ISS don’t have big studios behind them for next weekend, both are above 80% on RT currently. 

7 minutes ago, MisterLibby said:

Very tempted to bring my mom, since she loves Emma Stone, loves seeing the Oscar contenders, and would love the themes and story and character. But I also know its concept and style would still be too much for her. It's a tough conundrum.

5 minutes ago, Eric George said:

Very tempted to bring my mom, since she loves Emma Stone, loves seeing the Oscar contenders, and would love the themes and story and character. But I also know its concept and style would still be too much for her. It's a tough conundrum.

I would err on the side of caution

Mean Girls and Beekeeper are another proof that counter-programing works. One movie for the girls, one movie for the boys and boxoffice thrives. Not saying that this is a mini Barbenheimer (Beegirls? Meankeeper?) but it's certainly working.

Also as other noted, strong year for adult movies. Ofc that nothing will be Oppenheimer ( almost 1B for a 3 hrs long talky) but platform releases are doing really well. Poor Things will pass The Favorite cause it's already running ahead of it if you compare money they made on comparable dates. They play in similar number of theaters now and PT's hold is much better than what TF had for MLK weekend. 

Aqauaman 2 didn't collpase dom or OS which is also good. Passed The Flash despite The Flash testing better than TDK and A2 testing worse than The Flash actual reception. :bravo:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Signs of hope for adult movies, there was a few decent grossers recently, but this is definitely shaping to be one of the most surprising ones 

are adult movies daresay the new SH? :ph34r:

Oppenheimer making SH money, Saltburn going viral like the biggest movies also wrecking the streaming together with Society of the Snow, Poor Things and All of Us Strangers holding well, ABY breaking out, etc.

Edited by Valonqar

BOM really needs a content moderator, or at the very least a quality assurance person. So many mistakes these past couple years, honestly ever since they were bought by Amazon.

Their latest? Mean Girls 28k opening and $7 PTA…

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, DAJK said:

BOM really needs a content moderator, or at the very least a quality assurance person. So many mistakes these past couple years, honestly ever since they were bought by Amazon.

Their latest? Mean Girls 28k opening and $7 PTA…

And their total incompetence to segregate first run and subsequent re-release run numbers, causing multiple double counting especially when that re-release took place internationally. 

So many movies to watch, so little time :( already behind on Poor Things, Anyone But You, American Fiction, Mean Girls, The Beekeeper… not to mention the ones still expanding, like All of Us Strangers and Origin!

If I had to catch one this week… which one would y’all recommend?

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

This is getting past $45 million dom for sure imo

I don't get how they are still this many theaters dropping the movie.  Should have been in around 800 locations, especially given the hold thus far clearly isn't like a typical anime

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't get how they are still this many theaters dropping the movie.  Should have been in around 800 locations, especially given the hold thus far clearly isn't like a typical anime

I don't know, that seems marginal to me.

15 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

So many movies to watch, so little time :( already behind on Poor Things, Anyone But You, American Fiction, Mean Girls, The Beekeeper… not to mention the ones still expanding, like All of Us Strangers and Origin!

If I had to catch one this week… which one would y’all recommend?

I would prioritize the ones that probably won’t last very long in theaters.

I personally really liked American Fiction and Poor Things (still hoping that AOUS will come out near me, I don’t why it’s not considering I live in a fairly big city).

• Like 1