Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #WED - Mean Girls $1.4M &Beekeeper $1.1M

16 hours ago, DAJK said:

Seems like ABY is having a harsher drop than Wonka this week. With much of the continent covered in snow last weekend/these past few days, I could see drops being really, REALLY good this weekend.

All colleges went back this week...that was a huge college student drawing movie...thus, a drop like Migration got after K-12 went back...

• Like 1

Just a general reminder that daily numbers can get a little wonky in Jan into Feb, with holidays (and extra school days off around them), winter storms, sometimes Award wins and/or nomination bumps (with inconsistent dates), NFL playoffs, even some politics

I know the Box Office is kinda boring at present, but doesn't mean there needs to be hyper fixation on subtle shifts that often course correct over time. In fact, it is because the product is weak, demand is soft, that the numbers are more sensitive to outside factors and flucuations

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

ABY lost quite some steam after peaking, I don't think ABY finish far above TtP now, probably 75m-80m range.

Still excellent considering it cost less than half and didn’t have Julia Roberts. 

ABY definitely peaked on Tiktok last week. I think it's still got some gas in the tank, but 100M is dead. Hoping for 80M at this point which, considering it opened to 6M, is still fantastic. 

Speaking about drops, TCP is extremely low at this point. It's still surprising how the pre-sales and Christmay Day were so misleading.

Edited by Kon

15 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I mean, it definitely is low. It’s literally the lowest grossing animated Illumination film and the second-lowest ever (ahead of Hop) even with the holidays and the lack of competition. Okay-ish profit, but I highly doubt they skimped on marketing based on all I saw. No crazy holiday legs or “Illumination brand” halo for the film.

The bright side is that it shows that not even Illumination can do big numbers with a mediocre original animated film post-pandemic. They’ll actually have to try outside of their IPs.

At a 70m budget though, it really doesn’t matter your movie only did 200-250 WW. Thats a hit and they’d still be in a good place to get another low budget original movie greenlit. 

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

At a 70m budget though, it really doesn’t matter your movie only did 200-250 WW. Thats a hit and they’d still be in a good place to get another low budget original movie greenlit. 

Not denying that it’s profitable, it’s just not nearly as big a film with 20x legs like people were predicting based on vibes. If they want to build their name brand and be recognizable (like they said they want to), they’ll need films that are bigger, better, and have a larger impact than stuff like Migration, especially in the new box office climate for original films.

Edited by Speedorito

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TCP may go down to the wire with F13 09s 3.38x OD multi. Unless some has an example of another movie that was more OD frontloaded. 

Texas Chainsaw 3D was only 3.35x, so slightly lower

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Texas Chainsaw 3D was only 3.35x, so slightly lower

Hmm, so a post-New Years Fri (inflated OD) horror film opening with terrible WOM?

::pulls up the page::

Yep, got a 3.18x for Devil Inside

• Astonished 1

52 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TCP may go down to the wire with F13 09s 3.38x OD multi. Unless some has an example of another movie that was more OD frontloaded. 

Has there been another movie starting on Christmas day with worse drops?

I've understood the movie Ali has big drops, but these weren't so bad as TCP.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Has there been another movie starting on Christmas day with worse drops?

I've understood the movie Ali has big drops, but these weren't so bad as TCP.

AVP Requiem had the previous worst multi at 4.4x.