Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #WED - Mean Girls $1.4M &Beekeeper $1.1M

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well we have a winner I think, at least TCP isn’t the worst 

"Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé" is also quite a bit worse at 2.92x and I'm pretty sure that's actually the record. Not sure if we should count it though.

OT: Still doing a 2023 film dive to see if I can find enough worthy candidates.

Yesterday was Gran Turismo.  Knowing it was gonna be a happy ending (but not totally knowing the true story), I enjoyed it.  It felt like a fresh take on a traditional plot line (kid from nowhere gets his chance, has some stumbles, and then effectively "wins").  I liked Archie Madekwe and loved David Harbour in their roles, although Orlando Bloom didn't quite work for me (which is funny, b/ I normally love Orlando Bloom in his roles).  And all the racing was fun and fascinating (although it was ALMOST too much)...

I think I'd give the movie a B/B-, but I'm leaning to just B.  It might be worthy of a spot at the bottom of a 25 list for the year.  Of course, I haven't filled in the 10-15 spots above it, so more movies still need to be watched.  We'll see if I find enough material.

PS - I was gonna watch Murder on the Orient Express (the new one) b/c I was jonesing for it and never saw it...and the dang thing is no longer free streaming anywhere...sigh...so, my return to 2023 - which did make for a good night!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Sure looks like the Top 10 is going to finish sub-$50M for this weekend, for only the 3rd time since Avatar 2 opened (previously 9/22/23 and 2/10/23). A fair amount of depth, so overall gross should be able to claw above $50M (as it did on those 2023 weekends)

Next weekend, however, is probably going to be in range of the post-pandemic low points from 2022

18 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sure looks like the Top 10 is going to finish sub-$50M for this weekend, for only the 3rd time since Avatar 2 opened (previously 9/22/23 and 2/10/23). A fair amount of depth, so overall gross should be able to claw above $50M (as it did on those 2023 weekends)

Next weekend, however, is probably going to be in range of the post-pandemic low points from 2022

Snow up the East Coast turning to ice tonight and tomorrow with frigid temps is not gonna help...

But yeah, this weekend will be horrible for box office,,,

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Can somebody confirm Iron claw box office? BOM and the numbers both seem to have overstated its number by at least 500k.

I think the error is with BOR. A24 (frustratingly) doesn’t report dailies during the week, catches them all up on Friday, and it looks like those Tue/Wed numbers (or Wed/Thur?) were not included in the cumulative total he posted.

Numbers ($30.467M) looks to be the correct total, not overstated 

Edited by M37

12 hours ago, Agafin said:

"Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé" is also quite a bit worse at 2.92x and I'm pretty sure that's actually the record. Not sure if we should count it though.

Yeah I had noticed that too a bit ago, but I agree it shouldn’t count since it wasn’t a conventional release and not playing on weekdays. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Really bad. Only few folks have the credibility to delay this abomination for sure. It will be just 6 weeks post release. They did something similar for Barbie as well. 

Sorry, what abomination? Is this referencing the PVOD release date for Wonka or something else?

17 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Really bad. Only few folks have the credibility to delay this abomination for sure. It will be just 6 weeks post release. They did something similar for Barbie as well. 

The Zas is a moron. And for the people who say this won't affect the box office that much....maybe for this movie it won't affect it that much, but people will be accustomed to movies being released online after a few short weeks and they won't go to the theater anymore, just wait a month for the online release

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Sorry, what abomination? Is this referencing the PVOD release date for Wonka or something else?

Yes. Studios have used COVID as a platform to speed up streaming release anyway. I am not seeing what is the value in getting in out so early. 

Thank god we have folks like Cameron/Nolan/Cruise who fight against this. But they are the only ones with the power to fight this.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Zas is a moron. And for the people who say this won't affect the box office that much....maybe for this movie it won't affect it that much, but people will be accustomed to movies being released online after a few short weeks and they won't go to the theater anymore, just wait a month for the online release

Well, this isn't streaming. This is digital purchase of a movie.

The "wait a month" argument doesn't work for digital purchase, because people would still need to pay for the movie. So, it isn't really more attractive for moviegoers.

It would depend whether people prefer to purchase movie online or go to theater. Honestly, both things could likely coexist.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Agafin said:

That movie had previews(5.1m of it as well). This is all just 1 holiday. It also benefited from another week of holiday run that should have helped with its legs and it had good reviews/early reactions. 

But Color Purple OD BO was boosted by group sales from churches or something. Otherwise it should not be so bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Incredible.

Starting Monday I can watch The Marvels, Aquaman 2, Wonka, Wish, and Migration.

Thats five massive movies. One movie a night for a week. All from the comfort of my sofa. 

I didn’t watch a single one in cinemas. I didn’t expect my viewing habits to change so drastically but these shorter windows really make it harder to justify the trip to the big screen. How is this still sustainable?