cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

Dwayne Johnson In Talks To Reprise Maui For Disney’s Animated ‘Moana 2’; Live-Action Pic Bound To Shift Dates

"One mega big piece of information that Disney CEO Bob Iger forgot to mention in his announcement of Moana 2 yesterday was whether Dwayne Johnson was coming back to reprise his iconic role as demigod Maui. Deadline has learned that the action star, in fact is in talks and it’s looking good. And as Maui says, “You’re Welcome.”

The jury is still out on whether Auli’i Cravalho comes back as the voice of Moana. We hear that the actress is in talks, but they aren’t as close as Johnson’s. Cravalho already announced back in May on social media that she won’t be reprising Moana in the live-action version of the movie."

Edited by KC7

16 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Dwayne Johnson In Talks To Reprise Maui For Disney’s Animated ‘Moana 2’; Live-Action Pic Bound To Shift Dates

"One mega big piece of information that Disney CEO Bob Iger forgot to mention in his announcement of Moana 2 yesterday was whether Dwayne Johnson was coming back to reprise his iconic role as demigod Maui. Deadline has learned that the action star, in fact is in talks and it’s looking good. And as Maui says, “You’re Welcome.”

The jury is still out on whether Auli’i Cravalho comes back as the voice of Moana. We hear that the actress is in talks, but they aren’t as close as Johnson’s. Cravalho already announced back in May on social media that she won’t be reprising Moana in the live-action version of the movie."

She literally announced the movie on her instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3EIcPvPMOD/

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3EQWidP4ge/

51 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Rock needs to play nice with Disney since he wants to be in live action Moana.

Cravalho will be back, better to be paid than be some kind of diva and hold out for more money.

The voice acting should just be under a week of work for easy money.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

There's popular on streaming and there's Moana:

The 2016 animated film has become a streaming sensation. Per Nielsen, it was the most viewed streaming movie of 2023 in the U.S. (It was No. 4 in 2022, and No. 2 in 2021 and 2020).

It's always showing up on the streaming charts but didn't realize it had only gotten bigger each year.

I remember the Bridgerton musical and Barlow/Bear aren't a bad choice if they couldn't get Lin back. Emily Bear is 22 years old, by the way (DOB August 30, 2001).

• Like 2

The fact that this was initially supposed to be a TV show does worry me, hopefully it will be good. I think all this movie needs to succeed is a good soundtrack, story can be weak as long as the songs are great (similar to Frozen 2). However, if this gets amazing reviews then I do agree it will hit a billion and probably start a "sequel era" at WDAS, if it hasn't already started. 

16 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

The fact that this was initially supposed to be a TV show does worry me, hopefully it will be good. I think all this movie needs to succeed is a good soundtrack, story can be weak as long as the songs are great (similar to Frozen 2). However, if this gets amazing reviews then I do agree it will hit a billion and probably start a "sequel era" at WDAS, if it hasn't already started. 

Moana 2 in November 2024. Zootopia 2 in November 2025. Frozen 3 in November 2026. Begun the sequel era has.

14 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

NOT the animated one?  What the heck?  They are gonna try to have an ongoing animated AND live action Moana release with 24 months of each other?  And some say you can't see issues at the "concept" stage - this is another fail at that stage, approving 2 concepts with the same character for the same time frame...and splitting your team across both...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

NOT the animated one?  What the heck?  They are gonna try to have an ongoing animated AND live action Moana release with 24 months of each other?  And some say you can't see issues at the "concept" stage - this is another fail at that stage, approving 2 concepts with the same character for the same time frame...and splitting your team across both...

I mean one is a remake. it's not like they have to fundamently come up with something new

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Both Hollywood Reporter and Variety said in their write ups of Moana 2 that the live action is probably getting pushed back to create more space between releases. It does seem iffy though that they'll be able to balance animated and live action franchises, especially considering how copy paste the live action films of these movies always are. They'd be better off letting this franchise exist purely in the animated world for another decade. I would guess though that it's easier to get LMM back for the remake since he'll only have to write probably one or two new songs in his endless quest for that EGOT.

No joke, yesterday I was talking to a coworker about how they announced Moana 2, and she said she really hoped they would make a live-action version of the movie instead. There's an audience out there, whether you guys want to admit or not.

• Like 3