filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Bradley Cooper in the dick tracy villain make up felt more like a real person to you?

Bradley felt like a real person to me , makeup be damned. Cillian came off like a zombie. he didn't change at all during the movie. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:
Imagine being a kid born in 1970 and growing up on legendary movies like Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones, and ET. Forty years later, you are handed a Best Director trophy by Spielberg. That’s gotta be the most incredible feeling for Nolan.

Tbf, Nolan has hung out with Spielberg a buncha times and even done private screenings for him. Probably closer to a friend to him at this point.

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wanted Bradly Cooper to win. He gave the best performance imo. Murphy's Oppenheimer didn't feel like a real person. It is what it is

I think that is what Oppenheimer was like. Based on all the historical archives and footage  I am sure Murphy studied. 

• Like 2

Kinda funny seeing people on social media inventing 100 reasons for Lily to lost but doesn’t accept that likely the reason is the obvious one. 

Emma Stone is the single scene stealer in her movie, she’s in nearly every frame of it. Lily otherwise didn’t have even an hour of screentime in a 3:30 hour movie, and in the 50 minutes she appears, half of it is in a bed. 

I do think it’s a superb performance, just rewatched it yesterday. And i do think morally she’s the soul and humanity of the movie. But it’s very obvious that they try to give her a spotlight in lead and throw away a clear win in supporting. 

Emma had a good campaign, equally celebrated performance and a movie that fully showcase her.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wanted Bradly Cooper to win. He gave the best performance imo. Murphy's Oppenheimer didn't feel like a real person. It is what it is

you saw the wrong movie. Cillian completely immersed himself as Oppenheimer. If you had seen the documentary you would see how amazing Cillian was. Bradley was not in the same level. So there was no contest the entire awards season. 

• Like 5

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Are Oppenheimer and Poor Things getting an expansion this weekend because of their Oscar wins? Or do people not care about rereleases anymore?

Oppenheimer will for sure since it's a Big Screen Movie and the marketplace is really lacking in product right now outside of the Dune/Panda duo. Poor Things, dunno. It just came out on Hulu last week.

The lead acting awards basically play out like the VFX or sound awards. Whatever has the "most" acting wins every single time. Not the best. Actress is usually better than Actor with this (I mean that 2015-2020  stretch for actor was just terrible) but still Stone won because she had the showiest performance here out of all the actresses.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

39 minutes ago, excel1 said:

where the fuck were the big Brendan Fraser roles were we supposed hear about in 2023?!?

The Oscar win was wasted  on Brendan. I doubt he';ll do any major roles in the future. Same thing for  Michelle Yeoh

Edited by Maggie
  • Knock It Off 1

Honestly, pretty good Oscars. Seemed like the was a determined effort to get the hell on with it and not have the thing last all night. John Cena, Danny DeVito and Arnie were fun. Kimmel's a good host. I'm Just Ken was great, c'mon. Some nice speeches. Godzilla & Wes Anderson winning. Great gowns. Good show.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Amazing year. I just rewatched The French Connection the other day speaking of Hackman, and what a weird fucking Best Picture winner. Terrific film, but it's just a fucking action movie except with paradigm shaking levels of directing and grit.

Fiddler on the roof should have won that year.

48 minutes ago, excel1 said:

where the fuck were the big Brendan Fraser roles were we supposed hear about in 2023?!?

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Oscar win was wasted  on Brendan. I doubt he';ll do any major roles in the future. Same thing for  Michelle Yeoh

I mean, Brendan is 55, while Yeoh is 61. That's usually when actors have settled for whatever they're offered and the Oscar roles tend to be luck. The former was also just in one of this year's Best Picture nominees (admittedly, he was lucky to have filmed it before he won an Oscar).

FWIW Fraser was a celebrity narrator at Candlelight at Epcot this past holiday season, so he might have a project in the pipeline with Disney. Voiceover in one of the upcoming animated movies would make the most sense out of anything.

Well it is nice at least to FINALLY have an actual blockbuster BP winner again. Perhaps fittingly, both the Oscars and Grammys this year had the least pacing/dull issues in ages and ages as well. I’m impressed (though not holding my breath about it being more than just a fluke). But if this year wasn’t a fluke and we start getting relevant winners with less dull shows again, maybe Oscars will actually have a legit comeback. 

• Like 1