filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

Billie Eilish winning best Song after Mark and Gosling’s performance is the perfect encapsulation of everything wrong with the Academy and their taste. Just laughable. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The funniest thing about the Stone win is that she also starred in The Curse last year (which also contained her actual career best performance)

I wasn't too crazy about The Curse as a show (it was fine, hella uncomfortable to watch for sure, but was less effective as it went along IMO) but yes, Stone is terrific in it as well. She'll get an Emmy nom for it for sure in the afterglow of her Oscar win, especially when Actress Drama Series (where it's being submitted) will be barren in terms of strong contenders this year.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, Cap said:

Billie Eilish winning best Song after Mark and Gosling’s performance is the perfect encapsulation of everything wrong with the Academy and their taste. Just laughable. 

Ok but come on the song isn’t THAT great. It’s supposed to be about the song, not the acting/performing of the song 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oppenheimer one of the few films that would win every single year (though it would be weird if it won pre-1945). Past dominant winners like Dances With Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia and Gone With The Wind too problematic for modern sensibilities. Lord of the Rings and Silence of the Lambs and any musical too genre for certain eras. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest swept up but might not be "important" enough to win all the time. Even Titanic and Forrest Gump might get picked apart for being too goofy these days, though they did give it to Coda and EEAAO. Godfather I and II, Amadeus, Casablanca, Oppenheimer off top of my head that check every box in every era. May have forgotten something but point is Oppenheimer up there with most dominant contenders ever.

Lawrence and Titanic would easily win today, they just don't make movies like that anymore. 

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

if only Spiderverse was part of the MCU. But I know it's all the same. Go with that. 

Well it isn’t but I don’t like that movie for featuring that many fanboys bait moment. So I am glad a non-English, PG-13 anime took the prize, a first step for academy to embrace more mature content (dealing with self-harm matter) for animation. 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Well it isn’t but I don’t like that movie for featuring that many fanboys bait moment. So I am glad a non-English, PG-13 anime took the prize, a first step for academy to embrace more mature content (dealing with self-harm matter) for animation. 

I don't have a problem with The Boy and Heron winning. It just bugs me that all of a sudden there is this weird backlash when it comes to Spiderverse when just 9 months ago everybody loved it for the most part. But then I guess that should not surprise me around this place. 

• Like 3

Emma Stone only needs 1 more Oscar to match Dormand/Streep. Which she will definitely get someday. Honestly amazing for her, she’s truly a great actress.

Also, while I may have personally voted for I’m Just Ken, I’m so happy What Was I Made For won. The effect that song has on many of the women in my life, especially my younger sister who typically does not like movies and finds it difficult to connect with them, warms my heart, and I’m so happy that she has this to celebrate.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The lead acting awards basically play out like the VFX or sound awards. Whatever has the "most" acting wins every single time. Not the best. Actress is usually better than Actor with this (I mean that 2015-2020  stretch for actor was just terrible) but still Stone won because she had the showiest performance here out of all the actresses.

I thought ZOI win over Oppenheimer in a showcase of subtlety can win over showy?  

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I don't have a problem with The Boy and Heron winning. It just bugs me that all of a sudden there is this weird backlash when it comes to Spiderverse when just 9 months ago everybody loved it for the most part. But then I guess that should not surprise me around this place. 

They are going for wait for Beyond the Spiderverse to give it a Best Animated film Oscar for the whole trilogy... along with a suprise Best Pic nom.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, while I may have personally voted for I’m Just Ken, I’m so happy What Was I Made For won. The effect that song has on many of the women in my life, especially my younger sister who typically does not like movies and finds it difficult to connect with them, warms my heart, and I’m so happy that she has this to celebrate.

I felt like I'm just Ken was never going to win. The old snobby voters were never going to go for it since it started out as a joke song that clearly found immense popularity. Billie Eilish song was clearly the "safe" song for voters to pick.

Also re: Pacino's awkward presentation, it appears that they had to change the script at the 11th hour because he and Michelle Pfeiffer (who was announced as a presenter over the days before the ceremony) were going to present as a Scarface reunion and she had to back out for personal reasons.

Michelle Pfeiffer Misses 'Scarface' Oscars Reunion With Al Pacino (deadline.com)

1 hour ago, Cap said:

Comedy songs don't have a good history in the Original Song category, plus Barbie as a movie had the problem of not being taken seriously by enough Academy voters. When Greta and Margot missed Director/Actress, the Barbie fans were saying that was anti-feminist, and how would it look to reward the male-centric song? The race was over once Billie's song won a main category at the Grammys. You'll be hearing "What Was I Made For?" on singing shows and pageants for years.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:07 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I'm not even getting my hopes up for the BCoops as Leonard Bernstein thing. Even before it was Netflix, I was just "whatever" about it and I stan. Bradley, just take a hiatus from acting and go do music as yourself like you clearly want to. Maybe Nightmare Alley will be a winning role for him before that...

Lol my lack of enthusiasm for Maestro goes way back (four Oscar nights ago)!  Brad, maybe branch out from movies about messy celebrity marriages?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

35 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I felt like I'm just Ken was never going to win. The old snobby voters were never going to go for it since it started out as a joke song that clearly found immense popularity. Billie Eilish song was clearly the "safe" song for voters to pick.

What Was I Made For absolutely blew up this year, all over the radio and social media, and won Song of the Year at the Grammy's, the first song from a movie to do so since Titanic's My Heart Will Go On.

Moreover, the song proved to encapsulate what Greta Gerwig was looking for thematically in Barbie's heart song - so much so that she and Mark Ronson decided to weave pieces of that song into the score of the film at key moments that represent changes in Barbie in her journey of self discovery.

It's a very deserving winner, in my opinion.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3