Eric the Marxist

Here | Sony | November 1, 2024 | Tom Hanks | Robert Zemeckis Directing

2 hours ago, Melosh said:

Looks like a film based on “Disney’s carousel of progress”.

To clarify I think the film looks good,the concept just reminded me of that ride.

This looks incredible. The de-aging looks next level bad... but the trailer made me cry ngl. If Zemeckis can nail this framing device, I'm gonna be a fucking mess haha... but given his recent output, maybe it'll be a dry night at the movies after all. Can't be worse than Pinnochio! 

• Like 2

Every future film Eric Roth has written since Benjamin Button has been nominated for Best Picture. Do feel like this could steamroll the race this year. Hell, assuming it does become an awards play, could even see an editing win here.

On 3/30/2024 at 11:41 AM, AniNate said:

Problem for me is he hasn't made many good movies in a year beginning with 2, 

I mean Cast Away, Flight, and The Walk would like a word. Not saying we shouldn't be concern but he's still had solid hits in the last decade. 

On 6/25/2024 at 8:53 AM, Eric is Quiet said:

Is this the uncanny valley version of Boyhood? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised now that I think of it.

That is my concern, given Zemackis history of never quite be able to lick the UnCanny Valley problem in his ultra realstic animated films.
I love "Forrest Gump" but am very skeptical about this.

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Looks creepy. The camera angle gimmick could grow old fast. 

That is no surprise, given that Zamackis pretty much created "Uncanny Valley" in "Polar Express"a nd was never able to fix it.

https://deadline.com/2024/07/oscar-predictions-contenders-2024-first-six-months-1235998884/

The other night I was having dinner with a couple of industry veterans, both Oscar voters, who told me they had been talking to a top producer-financier who had seen two big studio movies coming out later in the year and both were fantastic.

He also saw the new Robert Zemeckis film Here, which stars and de-ages Tom Hanks and Robin Wright, also reuniting them from the 1994 Zemeckis film Forrest Gump. Both that one and Scott’s 2000 Gladiator took Best Picture and now it appears both veteran directors will be back in the race — big time.