BadOlCatSylvester

CinemaCon 2024 | 8th to 11th of April | Roundup and Discussion Thread

So, this year's CinemaCon is starting tomorrow! And with marketing material from the convention starting to surface online, I figured I'd get a thread up now. Here's everything seen so far:

GKhyvc8WcAA83UZ?format=jpg&name=large

GKhykiUWAAAhyKL?format=jpg&name=large

GKhL8iEWYAAUARK?format=jpg&name=medium

GKhylAlXIAA0Sh1?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyvJ9X0AAbxhn?format=jpg&name=large

GKh5tmwaUAA8nHL?format=jpg&name=large

GKhylOzXsAAtn5d?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyzPlWcAATOwV?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyzaYWsAAFaiR?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyzyVWgAAU1pt?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyu-UWcAE2ZlF?format=jpg&name=large

GKhykx-WsAAwETz?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyzmiXkAAQN-w?format=jpg&name=large

GKhyvR7WYAAEO-O?format=jpg&name=large

GKkThuPX0AEU_5f?format=jpg&name=large

And here's the schedule:

Let me know if I missed anything!

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know he's not a popular pundit around here (or anywhere really), but I really liked John Campea's coverage of it last year, I don't know if he's going back this year.

Also Box Office, they were fun.

Does anyone report on the panels that aren't  studio based, like the actual technologies and ideas  being brought to the theaters? Those always seem so cool.

My wishes : news about what Exhibitors will see this week

Warner :

Trailer 1 of Joker 2 ( of course)

New Look of Beetlejuice 2

New look of Furiosa

New trailer for Horizon

Universal :

First Big Trailer of Wicked

New trailer of DM4

New trailer of Twisters

New details about the new Mario Movie

( A big wish which i don't think will happen Shrek 5 announcement with date and cast confirmed )

Paramount :

First teaser of Sonic 3

First Trailer of Gladiator 2

New Trailer of Quiet Place : Day One

First look of Smile 2

First trailer of Transformers One

Disney :

With CCSD and D23 this summer not big wishes

Just maybe a trailer of Mufasa and/or Moana 2

So there will not even be a studio presentation until Tuesday with WB because Sony normally opens on Monday but they are not going this year. Funny though they are debuting the trailer for Fly Me To The Moon the Scar  Jo/Tatum movie tomorrow online. 

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I wonder if Paramount will show something for MI8

Hmm I know we have gone back and forth on this franchise , but one thing we can agree on is debuting the trailer to Dead Reckoning a whole 14 months early in May of 22 and then other than the IMAX bike jump feature that played in front of Way Of Water they were pretty quiet until like May of 23 when Barbenheimer hype was building,  was a mistake. They should wait until at least the holidays to make anything public and then go all in. But I could see them showing the Cinema Con people some footage yes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Hmm I know we have gone back and forth on this franchise , but one thing we can agree on is debuting the trailer to Dead Reckoning a whole 14 months early in May of 22 and then other than the IMAX bike jump feature that played in front of Way Of Water they were pretty quiet until like May of 23 when Barbenheimer hype was building,  was a mistake. They should wait until at least the holidays to make anything public and then go all in. But I could see them showing the Cinema Con people some footage yes. 

Agreed with everything you've said. I could see them also revealing the new title for part two

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

So there will not even be a studio presentation until Tuesday with WB because Sony normally opens on Monday but they are not going this year. Funny though they are debuting the trailer for Fly Me To The Moon the Scar  Jo/Tatum movie tomorrow online. 

Even funnier is that there's a poster for Garfield up on the showfloor despite its distributor, Sony, not going. Then again, it is an Alcon production, so I guess they decided to put it there.

18 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

My wishes : news about what Exhibitors will see this week

Warner :

Trailer 1 of Joker 2 ( of course)

New Look of Beetlejuice 2

New look of Furiosa

New trailer for Horizon

Universal :

First Big Trailer of Wicked

New trailer of DM4

New trailer of Twisters

New details about the new Mario Movie

( A big wish which i don't think will happen Shrek 5 announcement with date and cast confirmed )

Paramount :

First teaser of Sonic 3

First Trailer of Gladiator 2

New Trailer of Quiet Place : Day One

First look of Smile 2

First trailer of Transformers One

Disney :

With CCSD and D23 this summer not big wishes

Just maybe a trailer of Mufasa and/or Moana 2

There's also an outside shot of the Minecraft movie and Mission Impossible 8 being shown in some form, as while neither of them have finished production yet, they both have been filming for a bit. Justice League was in a similar position back in 2016, and Warner did show footage of that at that year's Comic-Con despite the movie being a 16 months away.

That stunt Cruise was doing at the Hollywood sign a couple of weeks ago I expect is something for CinemaCon. So wouldn’t surprise me if he at least has a reel of something to show his support for theaters. Or maybe something to say within it about his WB deal. 

3 hours ago, Morieris said:

eyes peeled for a Sonic 3 standee.

I weny through this, and there's no sign of Sonic 3 anywhere. The movie just wrapped, and Sega likely wants to wait until Sonic's birthday to start marketing, so I wouldn't expect it there at all beyond a quick sizzle reel cameo.

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Is it just me or did this take over Comic Con.

CinemaCon (or as it was previously known as, ShoWest) has been around forever. Comic-Con tends to lead into the geeky side of pop culture, while this has always been the event where studios show off to theater owners what they have coming for them.

National Association of Theatre Owners - Wikipedia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Is it just me or did this take over Comic Con.

It's just you.  Or rather, last year SDCC was smack dab in the middle of *TWO* strikes and thus got kneecapped horribly.  The year before Disney mostly took the year off because it had D23 incoming.

And if SDCC is more geared to nerd/geek press, then this is still geared more to industry professionals.  But it could be seen as the firing of the starter's gun for "con season", for lack of a better term.  First real major entertainment event since Award Season and the first real look ahead for the year so it is gaining in stature, I think.

Still, with all of that said, SDCC > CinemaCon, and I don't think it's that close.  Maaaaaaaybe if Disney keeps boycotting/downplaying SDCC (with other studios following suit), SDCC will continue to lose more of its luster.  But even so, I think there's still a rough pecking order of SDCC > CinemaCon = NYCC > Studio Specific Cons

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's just you.  Or rather, last year SDCC was smack dab in the middle of *TWO* strikes and thus got kneecapped horribly.  The year before Disney mostly took the year off because it had D23 incoming.

And if SDCC is more geared to nerd/geek press, then this is still geared more to industry professionals.  But it could be seen as the firing of the starter's gun for "con season", for lack of a better term.  First real major entertainment event since Award Season and the first real look ahead for the year so it is gaining in stature, I think.

Still, with all of that said, SDCC > CinemaCon, and I don't think it's that close.  Maaaaaaaybe if Disney keeps boycotting/downplaying SDCC (with other studios following suit), SDCC will continue to lose more of its luster.  But even so, I think there's still a rough pecking order of SDCC > CinemaCon = NYCC > Studio Specific Cons

I recall Disney putting a lot of work into their Comic Con panel in 2022, at least as far as Marvel was concerned. 

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I recall Disney putting a lot of work into their Comic Con panel in 2022, at least as far as Marvel was concerned. 

Maybe I misremembered the year Disney decided to... cut back on their SDCC then.  I do know that with both D23 and SWC in their promotion rotations they've been more... ambivalent about going balls-to-the-walls at SDCC. And I personally think that's hurt them in the long run.

Another example would be Disney's... curious lack of promotion of Avatar 2 at the '22 SDCC.  Turned out alright in the end, but I do think the Mouse was playing with fire a bit then. 

Either way, while I can see a world where CinemaCon overtakes SDCC, I don't think we're there yet.

Edited by Porthos