kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

That's Amazon's problem (which I don't think they really see as one). From a ticket sale perspective I'm glad they did.

a 15M opening is not impressive for either the movie or theaters 

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

a 15M opening is not impressive for either the movie or theaters 

It's better than a $5 million opening, which was more or less what the expectations for this were pegged at a year ago.

31 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is the part I don't understand, according to survey, the audience are hunger for something original but when something original great movie come out, nobody bother to care. 

https://www.indiewire.com/news/business/millennials-gen-z-want-original-movies-tv-not-remakes-survey-1234963638/

Millennials and Gen-Z Want Original Movies and TV, Not Remakes, New Streaming Survey Says

15m isn't really a high bar as a "better" position, considering there are many movies clear 15m OW mark during those strike months. 

For years I’ve heard people crowing that they want more original stuff. But that is just so they can sound smart. Nobody wants to admit they actually want the same old slop.  People can and always have been too piss scared to leave their comfort zone, and it’s only gotten worse over the years. Maybe one day people will actually be brave and see something that doesn’t have a 2 after it or isn’t based on a thing they saw as kids. But alas, that day hasn’t arrived yet.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, Eric Duncan said:

For years I’ve heard people crowing that they want more original stuff. But that is just so they can sound smart. Nobody wants to admit they actually want the same old slop.  People can and always have been too piss scared to leave their comfort zone, and it’s only gotten worse over the years. Maybe one day people will actually be brave and see something that doesn’t have a 2 after it or isn’t based on a thing they saw as kids. But alas, that day hasn’t arrived yet.

people watch original tv shows and movies all the time… on television.

• Like 6

The point is what "original" means. More than original i would say people want things are surprising. Barbie is not an original brand but most people like it cause it wasn't what they thought it would be.

and this from the moment the promotion started. 

So people can be honest when they say they want "original" contents but this doesn't change people have to know about the things and being stimolated to react. You have to make new things and you have to be able to let people know you're doing it. We can't act as the mass is always informed about the products to really know what they are, so they way you sell them is everything. 

You can't blame it only on people but you have to sell things in an interesting way.

For Challengers what they made? Amazon clearly doesn't know how to promote a movie. 

Warner, and not only for barbie but there are a loooot of other examples in the last 25 years, is imo the best in the promotion of products are not "easy to sell" and different. For example for Joker 2 they're making already a great work at selling it as something different but it's something you have to see it anyways (or exactly because is different)

1 minute ago, Eric Duncan said:

The fact that we are at point where people see a movie like the Fall Guy as some sort of risk  to spend money on is insane.  Like it's Hollywood doing the best job they can at what they do. I am assuming based on the reviews and buzz from people who have seen it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Duncan said:

Damn, I actually agree with you?

I know audiences have certain tastes and they're not just gonna show up for anything original. What I do really hate is that when studios do take risks that they likely will lose some money on, people go out of their way to trash it anyway. The discourse becomes all about ThE bUdGeT

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The point is what "original" means. More than original i would say people want things are surprising. Barbie is not an original brand but most people like it cause it wasn't what they thought it would be.

and this from the moment the promotion started. 

I agree people want to be surprised, but I'm not sure Barbie is a so good example.

The promotion for Barbie was amazing, but I'm not sure "it wasn't what they thought it would be". The promotion for Barbie focus on many aspects associated with Barbie.

The story of Barbie movie was really unexpected (and probably influenced the legs), but the promotion doesn't focus on that.

Edited by Kon

13 minutes ago, Bascafo said:

Moneyball open with 19M against a 50M budget with Brad Pitt...

And it legged it to 75 million. That does not happen anymore except for a few instances here and there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

I agree people want to be surprised, but I'm not sure Barbie is a so good example.

The promotion for Barbie was amazing, but I'm not sure "it wasn't what they thought it would be". The promotion for Barbie focus on many aspects associated with Barbie.

The story of Barbie movie was really unexpected (and probably influenced the legs), but the promotion doesn't focus on that.

they didn't alienate the audience but from the first teaser with 2001 odyssey wasn't casual. If the first teaser would have been only barbie and ken at barbie world (with no scenes in the real word etc.. as we know) the reaction would have been different. The fact the first teaser was meta cinema already sold the idea of something different, not only for babies etc.. and changed the reaction and expectations also for the material after that.

Then of course they were helped by the idea itself gerwig was involved, robbie was involved, gosling was involved etc.. No one expected Gosling to make at 40 years old ken in a total sell out movie like Bratz the movie or something like this 😅 

Edited by vale9001

People saying that the Fall Guy does not seem like something you have to see in a theater. Well you could say the same about Bad Boys Ride Or Die but my guess is it's going to make a lot more.  Why? Because people feel comfortable and feel they know what they are going to get even if they are both real world  practical action comedies. Weird but here we are.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bascafo said:

Moneyball open with 19M against a 50M budget with Brad Pitt...

Brad Pitt is enormously overrated as a box office draw. He had a couple of hits in 94/95 then spent a decade flopping/underperforming until Mr & Mrs Smith. 

• Like 3

I don't ever care about budgets, especially since every pothole project or restaurant improvement ends up costing 10x more than you think it will nowadays. I think people that don't work with budgets overestimate how easy it would be to make Challengers for 20 million tbh. I still think it's a disappointing opening for the cast, concept, marketing, and reviews, though. To be very clear. I just judge these things independent of budget.

• Like 4

I remember seeing the trailer for Challengers not quite getting what it is about. Didn't look like a straight romance movie but also didn’t have any kind of lurid hook something like a Basic Instinct or Gone Girl had 

I think Fall Guy is suffering from the release date change altering people's perceptions of what a movie like this usually does. It's the kind of fare that does 30m OW and would have been totally fine in March where it originally was, like the Lost City, but the shift to the opening of summer Marvel spot really put alot of pressure on it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Brad Pitt is enormously overrated as a box office draw. He had a couple of hits in 94/95 then spent a decade flopping/underperforming until Mr & Mrs Smith. 

His continued presence in the industry I do feel like is evidence that box office isn't the end-all be-all. People respect him and he gets a lot of good movies made

• Like 1