kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

Depending on staying power, the Don't Worry Darling comparison is looking rather spot-on for Challengers. It's likely going to end up doing as well now as it would have in its original September date if not for the strike.

ALIEN making more than BKW this weekend............

Roadside Attractions’ Boy Kills World lands with a B- and PostTrak of 71%/50% definite recommend. The Bill Skarsgard movie will land outside the top 10 with around $1.6M. RSA will send out their figure a bit later. No surprise here with 70% guys buying tickets and 60% of the audience between 18-34. Biggest demo is 25-34 at 34%. Diversity pull was 52% Caucasian, 22% Latino and Hispanic, 13% Black, 9% Asian, and 3% other. The Moritz Mohr directed movie is playing best in the East, South & West with the AMC Burbank the tite’s highest grossing venue with close to $7k so far. 

Disney re-released the original Ridley Scott directed Alien this weekend which is now 45 years old. It did $606K yesterday for what’s shaping up to be a $1.78M result toward the bottom of the top 10 chart. That gets the sci-fi horror pic’s lifetime cume to $83.8M unadjusted for inflation. This re-release is occurring far in advance of the next reboot, Alien: Romulus, which is from Fede Alvarez and opening on Aug. 16. 

From Deadline - Some might snipe that for a movie of this budget to do this kind of number is meh, or really harp on “Oh, this is how much Zendaya is worth without a franchise,” however, the whole industry should just count its blessings in a funky marketplace, this weekend delivering some $65M, off 36% from the same weekend a year ago. 

I love Deadline Anthony.  Man really missed his calling being a spokesperson for politicians.   No idea how he'll handle The Fall Guy opening to 25m next weekend.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-challengers-zendaya-1235896116/

Edited by JimmyB
  • Like 2

This was HSX's 4-week expectation trend for Challengers:

image.png

I think it is safe to say it is meeting the high end of realistic expectations regardless of whatever its budget was

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cookson said:

If GxK can pull off like 6-7m this weekend it should have enough juice to push to 200m. No major blockbusters since then are helping its late legs(same for KP). Just get past 180m and see what happens after that. 

GxK has made 1.76M in Friday. So, I'm not sure whether has a possibility to reach 6M.

12 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

From Deadline - Some might snipe that for a movie of this budget to do this kind of number is meh, or really harp on “Oh, this is how much Zendaya is worth without a franchise,” however, the whole industry should just count its blessings in a funky marketplace, this weekend delivering some $65M, off 36% from the same weekend a year ago. 

I love Deadline Anthony.  Man really missed his calling being a spokesperson for politicians.   No idea how he'll handle The Fall Guy opening to 25m next weekend.

I want to push back on the Fall Guy opening to only 25 next weekend but I can not right now. Sigh. I don't think it will really go that low but who the hell knows right now.

28% would be somewhat steep to maintain $200mil hopes for KFP4, but estimates have been lowballing it its whole run so who knows. Needs to keep drops under 25% to get there.

16 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Deadline Anthony going from unhinged rants about streaming killing cinemas to desperately spinning dead movies as successes has been incredible to watch. Shoutout to that Ghostbusters movie he called a ‘smash’ and then never mentioned again.

Love the people around here saying they are seeing movies like The Mummy and Speed in the theater for the first time. Reminding me I am older than a lot of people around here. =). Those are some of my favorite rewatchable movies and seeing those in a theater in when they came out is something I will always cherish.

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I want to push back on the Fall Guy opening to only 25 next weekend but I can not right now. Sigh. I don't think it will really go that low but who the hell knows right now.

A guy at work said The Fall Guy looked like a Netflix Original Movie and that stuck with me. It doesn’t look bad - it just looks Netflix-y (maybe it’s Gosling. IDK).

• Like 1

Kung Fu Panda 4 and Godzilla x Kong are likely missing $200M since their theater counts are bound to drop quite a bit over the next couple of weeks as all of the May releases arrive. Both are going to end up with solid totals regardless though.

• Like 1

Saw the Mummy in theaters last night. Didn't catch it in theaters in 99 so it was great to get the chance.

Late 90s we had it good with flicks like this, Mask of Zorro, etc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

A guy at work said The Fall Guy looked like a Netflix Original Movie and that stuck with me. It doesn’t look bad - it just looks Netflix-y (maybe it’s Gosling. IDK).

Goddam Netflix. And yeah Gosling has to take some of the blame for taking the easy paycheck for a  mockbuster like The Gray Man. I feel like I am a broken record saying if people just looked at the reviews they would see this is not one of those pump and dump fake Netflix movies but it is what it is at this point.The genie is not going back in the bottle.

The strikes impacting the schedule resulting in a wave of re-releases celebrating milestone birthdays has been pleasing to see. Alien, The Mummy, The Phantom Menace, Shrek 2.

And of course there's the ongoing Spider-Man Monday event. Still think it might've been a mistake for Sony to not give the Raimi/Maguire/Dunst trilogy a similar wide release rollout as the OG Star Wars trilogy did in '97.

Edited by filmlover

Alien definitely feels like a must-see, but my theater gave it only two showings in a small theater and they're filling up, so waiting until I can walk up to a screening with a good seat

22 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Love the people around here saying they are seeing movies like The Mummy and Speed in the theater for the first time. Reminding me I am older than a lot of people around here. =). Those are some of my favorite rewatchable movies and seeing those in a theater in when they came out is something I will always cherish.

What was your Speed experience like in '94? From what I understand, expectations for the movie were not high, until test screenings indicated the potential of a sleeper. Do you remember how it played? 

Just for expectations setting, I feel like Bad Boys, Quiet Place, Twisters, and the two Shams films are the live action adult films I feel a ton of buzz for this summer besides the obvious Deadpool, with Fall Guy, Furiosa, Apes, Horizon, Bikeriders, Fly Me To The Moon and everything else disappointing. I also predict a minor breakout for Borderlands which has a fanbase and a disappointment for Alien Romulus despite the quality. I think all four of the big kids films should do fine.