kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

Earlier it was brought up that The Hangover and Bridesmaids wouldn't make anywhere close to what they did when they were released, but a better question is if the major studios would bother with those types of movies today. The former in particular in today's climate would likely be a Netflix dump starring Bill Burr or some other comic actors who clearly don't have "leading man in motion pictures" potential to them (never mind possessing the talent of someone who would go on to receive 5 acting Oscar nominations over the next 15 years like Bradley Cooper).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

This film cost $55m. The last one cost $20m. Both were distributed by the fifth largest company in America. The guy gets big budgets to make mainstream movies for mainstream audiences and the audience hasn’t bit.

Yeah ...I don't consider a Cannibal road trip love story mainstream but that's just me. But I like the accidental pun about people not biting. 😃

Edited by emoviefan

42 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have no reason for asking the questions besides for being annoying and negative all the time. I feel like Howard Beale in Network shouting what I feel is my truth about our collapsing institution from the rooftops - and trust me, it's not just about box office or on Box Office Theory, as most of my friends can sadly attest. So.....yeah. Sorry about that.

I don't want to sound mean, but I think you might need a break away from this place. Or at the very least, get some outside help to make your life a bit perkier. I understand and value negativity and using it to let off steam or air out frustrations you have with the world. Believe me. But it feels like you're using it to a bad extreme where everything represents a societal downfall. And that's not good for anybody.

• Like 1

In other news, major Sony release date changes:

Kraven the Hunter: from 8/30/24 to 12/13/24

The Karate Kid legacy reboot: from 12/13/24 to 5/30/25

'Kraven the Hunter' Pushed to December Release by Sony (variety.com)

Kraven now hitting screens over 14 months after losing the original October 2023 date that marketing money had already been spent on. What a joke.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

It's not that I expect everyone to be positive all the time, but I do think negativity should at least come from a place of logical thought. The movie industry trudges on still despite everyone bemoaning its death here every weekend pretty much since this forum was created, so maybe consider that it's not exactly the most reasonable perspective to take.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah ...I don't consider a Cannibal road trip love story mainstream but that's just me. But I like the accidental pun about people not biting. 😃

Every movie produced by these corporations are mainstream movies. The subject matter doesn’t matter.

We used to have art-houses that played actual niche movies but then they retrofitted them into regular cinemas with small screens and nice seats.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could be wrong about those movies making that money in 2015. My thing is more - if it's the product, then we can look at the product from 2015 and see if films of that quality (marketing and star power) are really missing from the schedule, or are they doing less? 2015 actually a shitty example because wow a pretty bad year for midsized movies, but over 70 million you had Spy, Trainwreck,  Get Hard, Goosebumps, Pixels, The Intern, The Imitation Game, The Intern all over 70 million. So instead of asking what Challengers or Civil War would have done then, the more fair question is to ask what those films would have done NOW. Because I don't think I see 50m domestic for any of them. So I'm not convinced it's a product issue - that list ain't exactly hot product, and they all made near or over 100m.

It's a competition-for-attention issue. 2015 was the year of the first Netflix Original film (Beasts of No Nation) which was followed by Adam Sandler, the star of one of the movies you brought up, going to work with them exclusively. That got the streaming ball rolling. Before that point movies that weren't big-screen spectacles didn't have to do as much to prove they were worth a trip to the theater, so of course they made more money. To answer your question, I'd say Trainwreck, Get Hard, The Intern and The Imitation Game (that's a 2014 movie, but whatever) make significantly less or are streaming exclusives today; Spy, with its combo of ensemble, reviews and action element, probably makes close to as much (it actually didn't make as much as it could/should have in 2015, relative to McCarthy's earlier much less well-reviewed star vehicles); Goosebumps, an IP thing starring Jack Black, surely does fine as well; Pixels is either a Netflix movie with Sandler or it obviously stars Ryan Reynolds and is bigger if anything.

But also, like @AniNate said, what's the point? We are in both a post-streaming and post-COVID world, not in 2015, and it may be more relevant to note that both Civil War and Challengers are surely making more than they would have in 2021-22. Some ground's been gained back. The issue is not the product, it's making it look worth the effort of going to the theater with all the other options around - and worth the money, too, since there is also apparently the unresolved issue of the high ticket prices.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AJG said:

This film cost $55m. The last one cost $20m. Both were distributed by the fifth largest company in America. The guy gets big budgets to make mainstream movies for mainstream audiences and the audience hasn’t bit.

There is an audience biting, even if it might not be one that surpasses some magical revenue:budget ratio which studios can have all kinds of ulterior motives for either overestimating or underestimating in public reporting.

Main thing Amazon cares about is their stock price has been booming this year, so whatever the ratio is here is gonna be a drop in the bucket. Pretty sure it will be no friction for Luca getting his Julia Roberts project going.

Edited by AniNate
  • ...wtf 1

Somehow I feel like I never see this concern over the budgets when some useless franchise movie fails to turn a profit. A quality movie should cost what it needs to cost, and I think Amazon can just about survive spending 55m on this.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

I thought this was what everyone wanted, for studios to take more risks on original movies. Yes, I wish it didn't have to be big evil tech companies doing it, but I'll take it all the same and I'm sure filmmakers will too.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

I don't think any of those examples with the possible exception of Imitation Game is a fair comparison to civil war/challengers. Maybe if Paul Feig or Judd Apatow try to make another theatrical comedy and it bombs, we can have that debate then.

Why aren't they making them though? Not being negative or anything, it's a genuine question.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

Feig has a couple projects in the works, one is a comedy with Amazon, can only hope they give that a theater release, other is a Simple Favor sequel so I guess that will be a decent enough test. Though ironically the first one only did about as much as it looks Challengers is gonna do.

I think Apatow might be a bit of a harder sell now since I don't think anyone liked The Bubble.

46 minutes ago, AJG said:

Every movie produced by these corporations are mainstream movies. The subject matter doesn’t matter.

Bones and All wasn't produced by these corporations, only acquired by them for distribution. Which doesn't magically make it mainstream. The subject matter and style are exactly what makes a movie more or less accessible, not the logo in front of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

A box office forum arguing that box office doesn’t matter.

We are in hell.

It would be heaven if that were actually true. It does not matter in the dramatic binary "hit/flop" way you seem to think it does though that can be intelligently determined by normies on a forum who just have a secondhand and unvetable budget number to go off of.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have no reason for asking the questions besides for being annoying and negative all the time. I feel like Howard Beale in Network shouting what I feel is my truth about our collapsing institution from the rooftops - and trust me, it's not just about box office or on Box Office Theory, as most of my friends can sadly attest. So.....yeah. Sorry about that.

Always had nothing but love for you, hang in there, bb. ❤️