kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

6 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Yeah, it’s important to take a step back and look at that bigger picture. There just wasn’t anything that audiences were especially interested in in May

Reveal hidden contents

I can't stop laughing!!!  Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Squire said:

So, with Furiosa flopping, how is it that Dune Part 2 succeeded where Furiosa failed? 

Perhaps Dune delivered a unique theatrical experience whereas Furiosa was just giving more of the same (in terms of action set pieces), but not as good as Fury Road? 

Mad Max more niche? More weird? 

Better Dune marketing campaign? 

Dune are a famous series of books. 

Dune 2 was not only a natural sequel to Dune but a necessary one in terms of story. 

It did not come out 9 years later with a different cast with it's famous main character not in it and it's breakout character played by another actress.

6 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Yeah, it’s important to take a step back and look at that bigger picture. There just wasn’t anything that audiences were especially interested in in May

Reveal hidden contents

So we're just gonna completely ignore Dune? Or Wonka? Or any of the small-scale hits in those months? Or even the solid grossing 150M+ hits? That's cute. You're really cute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Squire said:

So, with Furiosa flopping, how is it that Dune Part 2 succeeded where Furiosa failed? 

Perhaps Dune delivered a unique theatrical experience whereas Furiosa was just giving more of the same (in terms of action set pieces), but not as good as Fury Road? 

Mad Max more niche? More weird? 

Better Dune marketing campaign? 

We all know why. But I don't think now is the time for me to go all thirsty. Maybe in a couple hours or so...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

So we're just gonna completely ignore Dune? Or Wonka? Or any of the small-scale hits in those months? Or even the solid grossing 150M+ hits? That's cute. You're really cute.

Yeah I think March can be left off.  The joke works without it. 

Edited by emoviefan

Just now, Eric Furiosa said:

I'm pretty sure he's semi-joking lol. The high-profile underperformers have definitely seemed to overshadow the success stories in the last several months.

• Like 1

I’ll stop thinking cinema’s dying when anyone I know asks “what have you seen at the cinema lately?” instead of “what shows are you watching at the moment?” 

Granted it’s limited sample of people, most at a certain stage in their life that doesn’t lend itself to impulsive nights out, but I literally can’t remember the last time I was asked the former. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Sure, name check the Timothee ones and not the ones with the lizard, apes and fat panda. :chaplin:

Seriously, the studios shot themselves in the foot with the writers and actors strikes and thinking they could drag them out long enough they'd cave without realize they were tanking their own schedule and box office - not enough product and certainly nothing that actually screamed big tent pole blockbuster opening in April or May

Edited by TalismanRing

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Those ain't MCU numbers on its good times. That's what is good numbers for him. When his precious franchise was relevant on its entirety and undefeated. 

Disappointment does that to some people. Probably hanging on to  admissions by every thread. Good luck buddy. Good luck.

Edited by justnumbers

2 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Ignoring? Wouldn’t say that. I just don’t think ~25M admits for the single biggest movie in that period is very positive. Biggest opening weekend was the concert movie. They aren’t all as bad as May but it’s variations on the same theme 🤷‍♂️

• Disbelief 1

I'm actually not nearly as down on this summer as most are. June through July looks like a promising stretch.

August looks on the quiet side of course (Borderlands in particular looks like an inevitable bomb in waiting), but they haven't referred to that stretch of the year since forever as The Dog Days of Summer for nothing.

• Like 1

It is sad that the print/social media journalists that cover the industry participate in such ‘disaster’ hyperbole when a movie has been out for one day. 

I know there are those that try to spin disappointing returns positively, but there are those that actively seek to contribute to a narrative that cannot help anybody. 

Do people associate ‘bombed’ as something that they now definitely won’t make an effort to see? Of course they do. 

Is this a new thing? No. Yet I think the obituaries are written and widespread at an alarmingly early hour. 

Sure, we are calling the funeral directors after a preview number on the forums, but I think the media that represent the industry need to be a bit more responsible.  Furiosa is ‘up in smoke’ according to deadline - one day in.  What a great read that is for people deciding whether to leave the house on opening weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Ignoring? Wouldn’t say that. I just don’t think ~25M admits for the single biggest movie in that period is very positive. Biggest opening weekend was the concert movie. They aren’t all as bad as May but it’s variations on the same theme 🤷‍♂️

Eras Tour opened to 93M. Made 180M/261M WW.

Dune 2 opened to 82M. Made 282M/711M Worldwide.

You can respectfully shove those admissions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

the difference between Dune and Mad Max is clear. One it's a part 2 of a novel-movie, the other is not even a sequel but a prequel.

I'm not a big fan od Fury road cause really not my cup of tea but even if you liked it is not a movie you feel deserves a sequel...

watching the trailer just gives you the effect to be a duplicate, nothing in the promo material gives the idea of something new and different. I mean you see again peoole driving in the desert while things around explode. Any difference in the concept, any difference in the location, costumes and colours...Then maybe the film is different, I don't know but the promotional material just gives copy carbon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure, name check the Timothee ones and not the ones with the lizard, apes and fat panda. :chaplin:

I'm pro-furry, but when I see my baby get disrespected, I'm going to fight for my right to defend him. Not on my watch!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

As for streaming, I think the genie is out of the bottle, and I think people really underestimate its impact. Short of tearing down every streaming service in the world, you can’t really go back to the ways things were.

There are a lot of people who openly say the only films they’ll pay to see in theaters are the big ones (aka films with explosions and lasers) and everything else can be streamed because it “doesn’t need to be seen on a big screen.” That’s where we are right now and there’s no way to go backwards.

Edited by Speedorito
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

One thing I can say is that MI8 will do much better next year. Even if it dips a little from DR but having  PLF exclusive for 3 weeks if WOM good to great and they maybe streamline it a little so that people who were not crazy about DR might enjoy it more.  60-80 for the 4 days should happen. 

Just now, emoviefan said:

One thing I can say is that MI8 will do much better next year. Even if it dips a little from DR but having  PLF exclusive for 3 weeks if WOM good to great and they maybe streamline it a little so that people who were not crazy about DR might enjoy it more.  60-80 for the 4 days should happen. 

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Eras Tour opened to 93M. Made 180M/261M WW.

Dune 2 opened to 82M. Made 282M/711M Worldwide.

You can respectfully shove those admissions.

I mean, look -- this is the 10th month in a row with no releases making the Dom top 100 (or even top 115). Now I'm not saying you can't celebrate the solid singles and occasional double for what they are, but that is a pretty dang historically notable drought of actual big hits no matter how much you much want to stick your head in the sand about it

Very ironic name btw

Edited by Legion Again
  • Like 3