Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

Just now, cannastop said:

Just got to wonder if Jennifer Lee is the right person to be in charge. Sure she's been at Disney for over 10 years, but Pete Docter has been at Pixar for 35 years. Pixar just has a deeper bench than WDAS, in terms of leadership.

Who was leading the team that lead to renaissance in late 2000s/2010s. I think these things go in cycles. Disney Animation has seen that multiple decades since their existence.Β 

1 minute ago, Youngstar said:

yeah idk, but who else could replace her?

Maybe Byron Howard or Jared Bush. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Though they might not want the responsibility.

Wow at that "IO2" preview number.Β  Pixar is back in a big way.Β  In fairness, "Onward, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, Lightyear and Elemental" weren't bad films at all.Β  They all suffered from timing post-pandemic.Β  Β But the quality was still there so Pixar never really lost it's standing.Β  The Box Office just dipped over the Pandemic since "Toy Story 4".Β  Β Also this is a case of making a sequel to a beloved original.Β  Very similar to "Incredibles" coming back after a long hiatus and doing gangbusters.Β  Β But very strong preview opening, can't wait to see the final numbers.Β  "Garfield" held families down the last month but it's clear "ISO2" is the Family Film of the year thus far.Β  Β Also hoping for a nice hold for "Bad Boys" as a counterprogramming this weekend to a big Family Film.Β Β 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That said I am worried about live action team even more as they are now looking at Lilo and Stitch live action !!!

I think they’ve already filmed it. They just haven’t said if it will be theatrical or straight to streaming yet. I hope with a new head of live action that they start to venture out again beyond live action remakes and theme park movies. Those feel like they’ve run their course. Β 

• Like 2

I'll always be skeptical of Deadline early numbers (good or bad), but Inside Out 2 having a 4+ preview-to-Friday number would be serious "Mother of God" shit. Toy Story 4Β had a 3.95 multiplier five years ago with a 5pm start!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Just got to wonder if Jennifer Lee is the right person to be in charge. Sure she's been at Disney for over 10 years, but Pete Docter has been at Pixar for 35 years. Pixar just has a deeper bench than WDAS, in terms of leadership.

The only reason I can think that she’s still there is that Iger believes he needs her for the Frozen sequels. But those movies could use some fresh blood after how messy Frozen 2 development was. She’s never really had the resume for the job and creative has been a mess with her in charge.Β 

5 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

Β I feel like they(WDA) have more of a quality problem. (Especially with originals in recent years. But we won't get another original until probably 2027, so they have plenty of time to figure out the next movie) Because I feel like the sequels should still be hits even if they only get Frozen 2/Wreck it Ralph 2 reception (good, not amazing like the first)

Yeah that's also a fair point. I think that's why it was frustrating WDAS got the preference for theatrical despite Pixar making the better movies during COVID. And the one Pixar did release was their worst by far in Lightyear. It's been a really good comeback with Elemental last year and this performance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I think they’ve already filmed it. They just haven’t said if it will be theatrical or straight to streaming yet. I hope with a new head of live action that they start to venture out again beyond live action remakes and theme park movies. Those feel like they’ve run their course. Β 

yep. I hope they start making some original movies again. I like a lot of the remakes, but that can't be the only thing you are doing.

6 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Theme Park movies never had that much a sucess outside of the POTC franchise. Other then that, it was pretty much a failed genre.

Lice Action ramakes are another matter; I personally have a low opinion of them, but until the last year they have been very lucrative. Maybe that is ending; which is why how well Snow White does is vital for that genre of film continuing.

A genre had ran it course when it no longer makes money, to be frank. Artistic merit has little to do with it a lot of the time.

As for Jennifer Lee, I think they should have a replacment already picked before they remove her if that is necessary. You could remove her as head of WDAS but keep her as Producer of the Frozen movies.

Maybe she was another example of the Peter Principal; she got promoted one level beyond what she was good at. Good producer, not so good Studio head. That happens a lot.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah WDAS is in deep deep shit. Zootopia 2 and Frozen 3 and 4 should be hits though. Maybe they have another Encanto up their sleeve.

There was a rumors they are making a New princess from india it could do well if it has catchy songs and respect the culture like encantoΒ 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That said I am worried about live action team even more as they are now looking at Lilo and Stitch live action !!!

Live action has changed hands recently with David Greenbaum (Searchlight) replacing Sean Bailey earlier this year. Will be interesting to see how the new strategy goes in a few years time.
Β 

source:Β https://deadline.com/2024/02/disney-sean-bailey-exits-david-greenbaum-searchlight-1235838865/

• Like 1

So what do we think of Disney’s latter slate after Inside Out 2?

Β 

previous slate before this weekend:

The First Omen - April 5, 2024

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - May 10, 2024

Β 

this weekend:

Inside Out 2 - June 14, 2024

Β 

After this weekend:

Deadpool and Wolverine - July 26, 2024

Alien: Romulus - August 16, 2024

Moana 2 - November 27, 2024

Mufasa: The Lion King - December 20, 2024

4 hours ago, Eric S'ennui said:

I think the one thing that has been consistent, and I'm sure the tracking team can correct me if I'm wrong, is that movies that skew more white typically have bad walk-ups. Elvis, Indiana Jones, Fall Guy, Furiosa, Flower Moon. I think even Top Gun didn't really have big walk-ups.

Β 

By contrast, stuff skewed more towards Black/Hispanic viewers typically have bigger walk-ups. So GxK, Equalizer, Creed, Apes, Minions, Kung Fu Panda, Inside Out, etc.

Β 

So yeah. Not a great sign for Twisters, though I believe the consensus is it should still cross 40M at least, maybe even 50M. That's still fine.

You're generally correct, but its a bit more nuanced.Β  Films that appeal to an older, whiter, and generally more aware (cinephile) audience tend to have weaker walk-ups (Elvis, Flower moon, etc).Β  However, that can be mitigated if said film also attracts a more GA crowd, particularly in middle and lower tier markets, where presales are a much smaller share of the final number, like TGM and Indy 5 both did (to an extent, not on the level of the other films mentioned).

Β 

I would expect Twisters to behave more like the TGM/Indy 5 type films, and probably not skew quite as old, so it should be decent if unspectacular on walk-ups. And we're also still 6 weeks away, and the fandom is soft, not one that needs to buy so far in advance (as contrasted to Deapool), so it should do fine.Β  Currently thinking it ends up in $50M+ range for OW, in range of Apes (and Bad Boys 4), solid but not nothing special. Or it could go more the way of Furiosa, where it doesn't connect with the GA, and that weaker fandom means the floor is much lower

• Like 3

WDAS really has been more miss than hit for a while, with Encanto really being the only really great film in a while, with some others being big misses. It definitely needs some creative shake-up.

Β 

4 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

So what do we think of Disney’s latter slate after Inside Out 2?

Β 

previous slate before this weekend:

The First Omen - April 5, 2024

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - May 10, 2024

Β 

this weekend:

Inside Out 2 - June 14, 2024

Β 

After this weekend:

Deadpool and Wolverine - July 26, 2024

Alien: Romulus - August 16, 2024

Moana 2 - November 27, 2024

Mufasa: The Lion King - December 20, 2024

It looks really strong with a giant asterisk on Mufasa.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Selma said:

There was a rumors they are making a New princess from india it could do well if it has catchy songs and respect the culture like encantoΒ 

Catchy songs are certainly not a guarantee after Wish. Not great that live action seems to have stolen away LMM either.Β 

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There was one massive walkup old white appeal movie last summer that throws a wrench into the whole hypothesis that they don't walk up anymore

Oppenheimer? I guess the non-IMAX shows were walkups.

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Β 

If this guy is telling the truth then holy shit, I was lowballing when I said $45m true Friday. Should have gone even higher. This is absolutely madness.