Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

This weekend is big enough for it not to matter much that there's nothing coming out next weekend, should still be a favorable comp to 2023.

Β 

With this breakout, I'm thinking there is a chance again that this year actually still comes out ahead in total by the end. Could make up the rolling year comp again by the end of July if all the tentpoles hit, or possibly September/October with the slew of movies with blockbuster aspirations coming out at that time this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

D23 will be very interesting in a couple months

Take it with a huge grain of salt but there's a scooper who claims that the Monsters Inc sequel is in development and Docter's comment about not finding the right story is because they wouldn't reveal it on a interview. If that's true, I guess D23 is where we'll find outΒ 

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I donΒ΄t really see how they can come up with a good sequel out of that movie

Β 

That poor great great grand-dad's parents died never knowing what happened to their son. Lots of tear-jerking moments for Pixar to glean from them in the Underworld + strengthen Miguel's own relationship with his parents and Grandma thematically with fame vs. family; leaving home to make it on your own

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Take it with a huge grain of salt but there's a scooper who claims that the Monsters Inc sequel is in development and Docter's comment about not finding the right story is because they wouldn't reveal it on a interview. If that's true, I guess D23 is where we'll find outΒ 

Β 

I'm sure there's one coming before the end of the 2020s, but my expectation is just more info on Elio, TS5, and the untitled spring 26 movie which Docter did insist was an original. They haven't been keen on revealing info very far in advance now that some dramatic retoolings have gone public.

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickiland16 said:

Monsters University vs DM2 ❌

Inside out vs Minions.             ❌

Cars 3 vs Despecable Me 3.  ❌

Lightyear vs Minions 2.           ❌

Inside out 2 vs DM4 ...Β 

Β 

This is looking to be the first time since Toy Story 3 where Pixar wins the roundΒ 

Β 

Inside Out did beat Minions domestically at least, so it wasn't a complete loss.

• Like 3

So i read the last 30 pages expecting to be excited with the reactions about how good the weekend is, but most of the thread is just a tiresome discussion that feels like a monologue sometimes lol

Β 

Anyway, very pleased with this. No much reason to expect it to have worse legs than other Pixar sequels, or to have better legs fwiw. 550-ish finish and +1.2B globally, absolutely amazing

Β 

Hopefully like Elemental OW paid the price for years of D+ and Lightyear, Elio will get some glory from IO2 smash. They made a great change delaying it from March to June again and putting it after IO2 instead of before. Hopefully itΒ΄s a good movie, latest rumour is that is shaping up to be great.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

What an opening for "IO2".Β  So it ended up staying flat Tru-Fri Sat basically.Β  Still 155 is a huge start.Β  That's 65 Million more than the 90 Million it made back in 2015.Β  Mind you this is post-pandemic.Β  Obviously still not as big as "Incredibles 2" but still unbelievably huge in the market we are in today. Though adjusted it's much closer but still it definitely improved big time.Β So congrats to Pixar for knocking this sequel out of the park.Β  Β With "IO2" Dominating, that didn't leave much left but for "Bad Boys" to clean up on it's second weekend.Β Β 

Β 

"Garfield" and "Apes" are still chugging along over a Million in 3rd and 4th Place.Β Β With a strong hold for "Bad Boys" this will help it's chances at over 200 Million Domestic for back to back films after "Bad Boys For Life".Β  This would also make it one of the highest Domestic grossing films the last two years.Β  WOM is there as the 2nd weekend held that well.Β  Also "Father's Day" clearly helped.Β  Overall good weekendΒ  and the Summer Season is just getting started.Β  Can't wait to see what happens with "IO2" 2nd Weekend and "Bad Boys" 3rd Weekend.Β Β 

• Like 1

Worldwide Box Office
(Estimates) Weekend Ending June 16, 2024

Β 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:
Worldwide Box Office
(Estimates) Weekend Ending June 16, 2024

Β 

Un p'tit truc en plus again in the top 10 on 7th week , insane run .

• Like 1

On a more depressing note, looks like Robot Dreams died at the specialty box office this weekend. I got to see it in March at least but seriously fuck Neon for burying that movie.

I think Coco did way better over seas then domestic

Β 

inside out did 350 million domestic vs 210 for Coco so I think a Coco sequel will likely be an overseas monster more.

6 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think Coco did way better over seas then domestic

Β 

inside out did 350 million domestic vs 210 for Coco so I think a Coco sequel will likely be an overseas monster more.

Coco made almost $200M in China alone.
With how weakened hollywood movies have become in the Chinese box office post pandemic, I wonder if a sequel could replicate that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Coco made almost $200M in China alone.
With how weakened hollywood movies have become in the Chinese box office post pandemic, I wonder if a sequel could replicate that.

Β 

I doubt it, but we'll know soon enough when Zootopia 2 releases in China.

I still haven’t even seen the movie yet as haven’t had the time.Β 
The original is my favourite Pixar film and one of the best films of the last ten years, so I was fearing a sequel disappointing with such a high bar to aim for. I feel the same way about every Toy Story sequel though, and they always deliver the goods.Β 
Β 

So delighted at its success and cannot wait to see it this week. Β Great to see some much needed cheer on the forums that we haven’t had in a long time.Β 
Β 

Disney, there are real signs they might have resolved the damage they did to themselves with streaming/theatrical decisions/windows. Β Hats off to them.Β 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I still haven’t even seen the movie yet as haven’t had the time.Β 
The original is my favourite Pixar film and one of the best films of the last ten years, so I was fearing a sequel disappointing with such a high bar to aim for. I feel the same way about every Toy Story sequel though, and they always deliver the goods.Β 
Β 

So delighted at its success and cannot wait to see it this week. Β Great to see some much needed cheer on the forums that we haven’t had in a long time.Β 
Β 

Disney, there are real signs they might have resolved the damage they did to themselves with streaming/theatrical decisions/windows. Β Hats off to them.Β 

It's my favorite Pixar movie as well and they delivered. Best non Toy Story sequel they have ever done. I was sobbing the entire third act like in the first movie ^^

• Heart 1