Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Alright idk why yall are being so obtuse with the slight doom and gloom about The Bikeriders pretty poor IM. I don't think anyone here is saying "Theaters are dead" bc of its decent opening. Like you said it's on the high end of its projections, and then you have Inside Out 2 and Bad Boys killing it in their performances.

But with a Thursday launch of 1.45m, I think it's reasonable for some people to react when it IMs below 7x. That should not be happening for a movie like this. That's all I'm saying.

Well, my feeling on the Friday/weekend estimate is it's still an estimate. Been seeing the Bad Boys and IO numbers go up so I'm not ruling out the same happening for Bikeriders.

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean I don't even think anyone here was all that hyped about Bikeriders until it all of a sudden became the next thing the fate of auteur cinema rests on. It's still on the high end of its HSX tracking trend right now.

Yeah people need to go see what Jeff Nichols biggest grossing movie prior to this is. This will be his biggest grossing movie easily I am pretty sure.

I suspect Bikeriders will kill it on streaming anyway. If this were the pre-streaming era, we would be saying it looks like the kind of movie that finds itself on Sunday afternoon TV rotation 3 years after release.

The funny thing is Nichols was the original director for QP Day One and I think he dropped it to do Bikeriders or it was going to be his followup but he decided not to. Creative differences with John K maybe or something.

18 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

People are overreacting thru the last page or so but I'll explain my rationale.

Thursday previews of 1.45m. Let's say it hits 10m OW, which it seems like it won't. That's under a 7x IM. That's pretty bad to me.

Someone on the previous page made a good point about the fact that previews start SO early now (2pm, almost a full day) so that helps explain it. But still. It's the frontloading for a movie like this that's just really throwing me off.

Previews began at 2pm - for this demo that's basically a full day.   It also had sneaks before that which were rolled in .  The tracking thread was targeting around 1 -1.2m so if this does 9-10m that's a typical 8x-10x multi. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Movie would make 20m at the box office and then disappear into the fifth carousel of Hulu if it was released today. All those insanely quotable lines and images that have been a part of our culture? Forget it.

This is so dramatic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Alright idk why yall are being so obtuse with the slight doom and gloom about The Bikeriders pretty poor IM. I don't think anyone here is saying "Theaters are dead" bc of its decent opening. Like you said it's on the high end of its projections, and then you have Inside Out 2 and Bad Boys killing it in their performances.

But with a Thursday launch of 1.45m, I think it's reasonable for some people to react when it IMs below 7x. That should not be happening for a movie like this. That's all I'm saying.

For real. Every week it's the same people willfully misinterpreting the posts. When I say that movies like the Departed or Pulp Fiction wouldn't make any money or impact, or emoviefan says that Jaws would fail, most people on here tend to agree - and then somehow call us pessimistic for pointing out basic facts about audience tastes and consumption when it is the consensus of the boards. Obviously I don't think theaters are close to dead no matter what Bikeriders did. Inside Out is shattering records. I just don't give a fuck for what it is I care about as a film fan. It's just another endless sequel that makes money to me. I'm really truly glad it's doing well and it's exciting and it is great for theaters. But I cant name a single originalish live action adult film the rest of the year with any viable commercial and cultural breakthrough that used to happen over a dozen times each year. I would love the we are pessimistic gang to point out an example that disproves the point. Everything with a chance is a sequel or remake at this point. Box office is interesting because of the conversation to me between culture and commerce. Sheer commerce doesn't get it up for me, and that's all we get nowadays outside Barbieheimer. 

Anyway, great for Inside Out!! Truly. And Bad Boys. And Quiet Place looking good too. There's genuine appetite for people to go to the movies. It's very clear and obviously it is a good thing. I just wish they ever saw any of the kind of movies that I believe drive a healthy artistic environment and adult culture. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I am not even sure some Classic blockbusters would be big today. I was talking to a friend about Jaws and how it is one of my favorite movies in fact it may be my number one Spielberg movie. He's like the movie does not even have much action and is kind of slow. I am like yeah it does not need too. Audiences back then could handle that and had attention spans. Today's audience would be bored and it would bomb. Oh well done with the old man shouting at the clouds thing. 

Oppenheimer is longer and even more slow

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Deadline estimates $147 mil for the combined weekend, so we should be staying ahead of 2023 next week if Quiet Place doesn't disappoint.

Minions will add another boost for the fourth weekend, so we're in good business now.

Thanks to IO2 and BBDL, NA market is closing its gap significantly against China, which is still the world biggest box office market of 2024 until now. China typically leading in the first half because of their Chinese New year hit but they normally lose that advantage sometime in June. This year they got to keep the lead longer because the May is so terrible in NA but IO2 and BBDL is fixing that situation. 

IDK, if Bikeriders will kill it on streaming, I feel like we say this about every movie and these movies come and go and disappear in the world of endless content.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Shawshank Redemption came out the same year as Pulp Fiction and BOMBED and yet it somehow sits currently at #3 on IMDB with 2.9m ratings.

I feel like people are too eager these days to declare something an instant classic without putting in the time work required for that. A symptom of social media impatience, I guess.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Shawshank Redemption came out the same year as Pulp Fiction and BOMBED and yet it somehow sits currently at #3 on IMDB with 2.9m ratings.

No way! Bombs don't make their way into the "culture"! It just doesn't happen! It's not like there's a specific word we created to describe this exact thing.

I don't really care about Inside Out 2 that much. Not as a movie anyways. To me these numbers are like a horse race.

That said, I've made it clear that I do care about some cartoon movies from Disney and/or Pixar. Don't really care about what adult movies do tbh. Don't care about the dad movie market.

I only have so much money and I'm limiting what I see. I saw Tár and Aftersun in 2022 but those aren't huge commercial successes in any year.

15 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

IDK, if Bikeriders will kill it on streaming, I feel like we say this about every movie and these movies come and go and disappear in the world of endless content.  

yeah killing it on streaming doesn't mean much. They'll spin anything as killing on streaming.

I might get back into bitter sulking about stan movies tanking if/when the overall box office catches up.

Had more than enough whining here through the first five months, don't need any more of it right now. 

Edited by AniNate

I mean, at the end of the day, doesn't it all come back to nothing more than championing your faves? Nothing inherently wrong with that, but still. Can get nasty at times.

Something that's especially true during awards season. Even people who tout themselves as being in favor of awards shows going with genderless acting categories tend to drop that stance once it's pointed out that their faves were the ones that would likely be left out in the cold in that scenario.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I mean, at the end of the day, doesn't it all come back to nothing more than championing your faves? Nothing inherently wrong with that, but still. Can get nasty at times.

Something that's especially true during awards season. Even people who tout themselves as being in favor of awards shows going with genderless acting categories tend to drop that stance once it's pointed out that their faves were the ones that would likely be left out in the cold in that scenario.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping (naively I suppose) that the flip being switched at theaters would keep that at bay for a little while, but I guess even that isn't enough to sustain positive energy through 2+ weeks especially if it's largely on the shoulders of one movie

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

The older crowd that Bikeriders is for must be saving their cash for Horizon next weekend :ph34r:

A double digits opening for Horizon would actually be impressive all things considered (lousy reviews + ridiculously long runtime).

• Like 1