Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

So nice to be in a positive time for the BO.  IO 2 blowing up, BB ROD doing well, Apes having great legs. Next week QP Day One should  do 45-55, the Boomers might show up for Horizons Part One after all and then  on the 4th weekend you have DM 4 and Maxxine seems to be selling decent for the specialty horror crowd. Then hopefully Twisters breaks out and does well and then DP and W of course. And oh yeah Fly Me to the Moon will be massive. LOL

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Zootopia 2 is a Disney animated sequel to an acclaimed original, and I’m convinced at this point that every single one of those will be straight money printers top to bottom and easily clock a top 3 of the year finish, $225M 5-day opening to $450M+ DOM and $1.25B+ WW

Zootopia made $200M in China, don't see it increasing so much over the first one without that.

Insane that IO2 has a shot at the animation crown both domestically and internationally. Though that might depend on DM4. Illumination is historically great at chopping off Pixar films late legs. I'll still never forgive them for stopping Dory from getting 500M...

Though even having a chance is exciting! After the past few years I was starting to think nothing would ever come close to touching incredibles or frozen. Super Mario did rekindle some hope in me though 

Edited by Killimano3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MattW said:

Maybe but I wouldn’t put money on it yet, gotta see how big of a bite DM4 takes out of it

DM4 will not hurt IO2 box office run. Sorry, minions.

Edited by Migs20242

1 hour ago, Selma said:

It is gonna beat Mario and becomes the 2nd  highest grossing animated movie After Frozen isnt it ?

Will never forgive Disney for The Lion King (2019) existing and messing up animation record discourse.

I think Inside Out 2 will hold its own against Despicable Me 4. 

Just go back to when the first Inside Out came out. In its fourth weekend, it went up against the monster opening of Minions and it only fell 41%. It still legged out amazingly throughout the summer and that's also with the behemoth that was Jurassic World alongside it. 

Since Inside Out 2 is getting absolutely stellar word-of-mouth and is holding even stronger than the first film did (and past Pixar sequels) I can't see it taking that much of a hit from DM4. Even Finding Dory only fell about 50% when The Secret Life of Pets opened. 

We'll know in two weeks and I have no doubt that DM4 will make a lot of money (never bet against the Minions), but I don't think Inside Out 2's run will be affected that much by it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Will never forgive Disney for The Lion King (2019) existing and messing up animation record discourse.

Just do what I do and erase all memory of that film from your mind and refuse to accept it's existence 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dory disappointed in regards to OS run. But domestic was great. Almost 500m back in 2016 was not a joke. it was the highest grossing animation at that time. 

That is fair! I guess I do have the OS run more in mind which felt like a letdown a few years after Frozen blew the doors down (when Nemo had been the biggest animated deal OS this side of the original TLK in its time).

10 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Just do what I do and erase all memory of that film from your mind and refuse to accept it's existence 

TLK must be consensus pick for highest-grossing film most everyone agrees is pretty terrible, right. Can't see who could have been satisfied by that outside little kids who wouldn't know any better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Thanks!

Can't think of specifically one box office run, but I can name you a lot. Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Barbenheimer, and so much more. 

There's been a lot of incredible box office runs that I've been able to witness, but now it's even more exciting because I am even more crazy/knowledgeable about this stuff than I was 5 years ago. 

But, no love for Star Wars; The Force Awakens? Reported.

It's crazy how I was following the box office since Revenge Of The Sith...I was a teen!

• Like 3

The Bikeriders hitting double digits would be an acceptable outcome considering it felt like everyone gave up on it after it lost both its original release date and original studio late last year.

• Like 1