Eric Wilson

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Holy Crap. Way above Deadline's mid day estimate of 23.4. The West Coast Walkups must be booming. I hope this means some of the other movies, go up too.

Also, if it's gonna hit $125M for the five-day weekend, then the three day number would be slightly higher than $75M considering it's done $47M so far. 

Not only does it get it much higher than Despicable Me 3's three-day number but also closer to Despicable Me 2's $84.2M three-day number. 

If this all holds true by the morning (I hope Deadline is lowballing the other films and their numbers), then we'll be in for a much better weekend than expected. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Lots of families were waiting for the weekend to see Minions Movie # 6!

The killer heat wave sweeping across the US right now has to be boosting sales too! This inferno could last 2 WEEKS! HELL ON EARTH!

Edited by Mojoguy

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The killer heatwave sweeping across the US has to be boosting sales like too! This inferno could last 2 WEEKS! HELL ON EARTH!

It's funny cause the UK is the opposite with all the rain but the same effect it'll drive people to the cinemas.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It is really hot right now in the western interior and Portland/Seattle, but I don't think that's gonna have quite the same impact that the heatwave two weeks ago did which affected about half the US population. Right now temps are more or less normal here (though the humidity has been sucking this week)

Edited by AniNate

20 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah hope this means DM4 can lock $300M+. You don't want your third highest grossing film of the summer be below $300M.

It would be nice if the 4th highest grossing movie of the summer could get above 200 million. BB ROD is the only option for that right now unless Twisters really does surprise and break out big.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The First Omen is not only the best horror of the year, but the best 2024 movie period so far

It’s very unapologetic about being a genre movie, nothing elevated about it, which will always makes hard for it to be taken seriously like an A24 movie and well it’s a prequel with a cringe ending scene connecting everything so … but yeah it’s a fucking banger God i love the movies!!

I thought The First Omen was really awful.

Completely pointless, told me almost nothing I didn't already know watching the original (other than the ending, which - lo and behold - is fucking sequelbait anyways, as this plot point is not featured at all in the original movies and finds no resolution in the actual film, so it will probably end up being a loose thread now, awesome). Not scary, not smart, not interesting.

Also minor quip but being italian and hearing them randomly switch to broken italian and then back to english like some fucking nuns and kids in Italy would speak any english at all (they don't even know any in 2024) is insane, just stick to english all the way and pretend they're speaking italian y'all...

Edited by JustLurking
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

looks like audiences will never tire of those yellow bastards

They have no reason to be, considering the fact that it got A Cinemascore.

Means another crowd pleaser. 

Let’s say it does 75m (which seems like a lowball), with the same legs as Despicable Me 3, it would be at 275m. I think it’ll go higher than that considering there is literally no competition for this movie after this weekend 

Posted (edited)

Woah! Just got back from a family evening and saw the number. Talk about totally unexpected! Guess this particular year families decided to wait until after July 4th (not that the Wednesday and Thursday numbers aren't good but this is more backloaded compared to the pattern everyone expected).

Edited by Insomnia

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

John Wick 3 comes to mind, plus decade-later threequels like Terminator 3 and Toy Story 3.

Oh yes, totally forgot about Wick, thank you! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ryan C said:

I'm sorry, but if MaXXXine hits $10M this weekend (Deadline better be lowballing) and Longlegs does the same next weekend (pre-sales are amazing in my area), that would be such a great redemption for the horror genre this year. 

I still believe that horror just hasn't had the right movies so far this year, but A Quiet Place: Day One, MaXXXine, and Longlegs definitely feel like the right and buzzy types of horror movies that would do well as supposed to something like Night Swim or Imaginary.

I absolutely agree. Almost all horror movies which were released this year were too much niche or just bad/nothing special.

10M for MaXXXine would be a surprisingly good result after Pearl made "only" 3.1M and is with the success of A Quiet Place: Day One a clear indicator that the horror genre is still popular. (I mean, why should that change?).

14 hours ago, Ryan C said:

I'm sorry, but if MaXXXine hits $10M this weekend (Deadline better be lowballing) and Longlegs does the same next weekend (pre-sales are amazing in my area), that would be such a great redemption for the horror genre this year. 

I still believe that horror just hasn't had the right movies so far this year, but A Quiet Place: Day One, MaXXXine, and Longlegs definitely feel like the right and buzzy types of horror movies that would do well as supposed to something like Night Swim or Imaginary.

I mean the crappy Strangers remake did 35M. Horror is healthy per usual.