AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

If Twisters does flop then I think you just have to throw up your hands and say disaster movies aren't in fashion right now. This was the most optimal outcome critically one could've hoped for.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's summer. There used to be summers where there was a blockbuster opening to 50m every single weekend. Hell, this March proved that movies can survive against each other with multiple big openings. Twisters is doing shit overseas numbers and had weak presales from day one - both those metrics have nothing to do with Deadpool.

And... here... we... go...

1 minute ago, MOVIEGUY said:

And... here... we... go...

Great numbers for everything this weekend! It's not a reflection on the box office if Twisters does eh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's summer. There used to be summers where there was a blockbuster opening to 50m every single weekend. Hell, this March proved that movies can survive against each other with multiple big openings. Twisters is doing shit overseas numbers and had weak presales from day one - both those metrics have nothing to do with Deadpool.

I mean I guess, but I don't think it's fair to say competition doesn't matter. It definitely impacted the examples I listed, and, despite the rating, Twisters and Deadpool are still going for a similar action movie target audience.

Though hey! You could be right that it is all lack of interest, since this is directly advertising to the people who don't go to the movies anymore.

I predicted Indy to be a Top Gun-style breakout, and even thought Twisters could get the TGM audience at a smaller scale, and I've been let down twice. Lesson learned for next summer! Sorry Karate Kid, but I'm going to be bearish on you.

• Like 1

Feeling increasingly confident that Gladiator 2 gets the breakout people predicted for Twisters, but I will refrain from commenting further lest I bring the most toxic discussion possible into this weekend thread.

35 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I wonder what some of y'all would have been saying in the 50s when Disney and Warners were churning out multiple shorts of gags with all their cartoons. They are considered classics now, but such is the essence of the Minions appeal - it's the exact same thing in longer form. 🤷‍♂️

I liked them best as background characters - even their short films were much too much Minions for me.  

This weekend feels really encouraging - strength all around.

Inside Out 2 has already hit a 3.71 multiplier - having passed other animated giants like Frozen 2, Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 - and is on its way to passing the original film and hitting a 4+ multiplier. This is not something I expected after opening to over $150M. 

Best Multipliers Ever for $70+ Million Opening Films (Friday Openers):

1. Avatar (2009) — 77.0 million (9.73)
  2. Top Gun: Maverick (2022) — 126.7 million (5.67)
  3. Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) — 134.1 million (5.10)
  4. Finding Nemo (2003) — 70.3 million (4.84)
  5. Zootopia (2016) — 75.1 million (4.55)
  6. Oppenheimer (2023) — 82.5 million (4.00)
  7. Wonder Woman (2017) — 103.3 million (4.00)
  8. Inside Out (2015) — 90.4 million (3.94)
  9. Barbie (2023) — 162.0 million (3.93)
  10. American Sniper (2015) — 89.3 million (3.92)
  11. Aladdin (2019) — 91.5 million (3.89)
  12. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 248.0 million (3.78)
  13. Toy Story 3 (2010) — 110.3 million (3.76)
  14. Inside Out 2 (2024) — 154.2 million (3.71)^
  15. The Incredibles (2004) — 70.5 million (3.71)
  16. Frozen II (2019) — 130.3 million (3.66)
  17. Despicable Me 3 (2017) — 72.4 million (3.65)
  18. Finding Dory (2016) — 135.1 million (3.60)
  19. Toy Story 4 (2019) — 120.9 million (3.59)
  20. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) — 84.6 million (3.58)
  21. The Secret Life of Pets (2016) — 104.4 million (3.53)
  22. The Jungle Book (2016) — 103.3 million (3.53)
  23. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 94.3 million (3.53)
  24. Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone (2001) — 90.3 million (3.52)
  25. Spider-Man (2002) — 114.8 million (3.52)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to maximize your gross by not opening before another film that will also appeal to the action blockbuster crowd and will take away screens. Twisters is heavily promoting seeing in IMAx which is funny since it gets less than a week of play on those screens

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Feeling increasingly confident that Gladiator 2 gets the breakout people predicted for Twisters, but I will refrain from commenting further lest I bring the most toxic discussion possible into this weekend thread.

With you on Gladiator. It's so sad  though we have to worry that any discussion of it will be the bat signal for those people .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

Will say in hindsight that Twisters probably should have dropped August 2 if it wanted to break out bigly like a lot of us hoped it would. This is basically a redux of Dungeons and Dragons and Dead Reckoning where it had lousy luck opening against a colossal giant. But at least I can understand D&D and Mario having potentially different audiences, or Paramount not expecting Barbenheimer to be what it was. Universal had to have known Deadpool would at least open to the level of Guardians 3 in a worst-case scenario.

wonder if they thought because The Marvels bombed that all Marvel movies would  underperform and they had nothing to worry about which would be LOL

Edited by John Marston

32 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If Twisters does flop then I think you just have to throw up your hands and say disaster movies aren't in fashion right now. This was the most optimal outcome critically one could've hoped for.

Yep what was a blockbuster in 96 may not be now. It could be that simple. Still gonna hold out for Walkups till  they do not happen though. It could start showing life in presales tomorrow also or at least improve. Movies have come alive in their final week before.

Great numbers for DM4, Longlegs and IO2. With this drop IO2 has increased it chances of beating Barbie. I think it will do it but it will be a close race, it needs to have solid drops for a few more weekends. 

Saw Twisters yesterday, is a surprisingly good movie. There’s horror and melodrama codes all over it’s direction choices, which is nice. 

Good characters all around, action is decent and direct, far from keep going on and on for many time to the point of getting boring. 

Disaster movies isn’t really big in Latin America, and since most of the countries it opened is small or Latinos, you probably shouldn’t take them too seriously. I don’t think it’ll be a bit hit, but here is probably the less likely place to do well, could be way better in US / Europe.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

wonder if they thought because The Marvels bombed that all Marvel movies would  underperform and they had nothing to worry about which would be LOL

Twisters set their date in December 2022, before things got weird with Marvel. Like I mentioned in the DP thread it was when Thunderbolts was set for the week after.

44 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It will open to 50M. The problem is the week 2 hold. Also, no movie in March was as big as Deadpool. Something of that size sucks the air out of the marketplace.

• Like 1

DP3 is simply too big for Twisters to counter. You may cite IO2 and BBRD's 2nd weekend coexist well but don't forget that the weekend before when BBRD opened, the cinema is operating at just slightly over 100m, so the market clearly has space to accommodate another 150m+ giant. But that is not the case now, next weekend the aggregate number is looking for around 130-140m, another 170m+ opening from DP3 would mean the market approaching its fullest potential capacity of close to 300m. That is unlikely to happen.