Grand Cine

Weekdays (15th-18th July) : The Calm before the Storm : DM4 : 5,7M - LongLegs : 2,4M - IO2 : 2,8M

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Last Shrek movie barely grossed 250m domestic and it shrunk huge from 2nd movie. 3rd movie at least set OW record for animation and hype was insane for it (3 400m grossers had sequel in May 2007). But it had mixed WOM and collapsed after OW and had at that time worst legs for an animation movie. I am not sure where this 600m expectations are going for it. Puss movies have done well but they are still mid level hits. I thought by the 4th movie the Donkey character got annoying big time. Plus 2026 schedule is insane. You have to set yourself apart to break out big. 

In two years , a lot of things and moved movies can happen

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Last Shrek movie barely grossed 250m domestic and it shrunk huge from 2nd movie. 3rd movie at least set OW record for animation and hype was insane for it (3 400m grossers had sequel in May 2007). But it had mixed WOM and collapsed after OW and had at that time worst legs for an animation movie. I am not sure where this 600m expectations are going for it. Puss movies have done well but they are still mid level hits. I thought by the 4th movie the Donkey character got annoying big time. Plus 2026 schedule is insane. You have to set yourself apart to break out big. 

Shrek nostalgia is at an all time high though, I think it’s been enough time since the fourth movie for it to build up and for people to forget how lackluster it was

32 minutes ago, Selma said:

Zootopia 2 Can Do it Asia love it more 

Well yes Zootopia did well in China, South Korea, and Japan. but China's box office doesn't favor Hollywood anymore and Japan has seen a drop off in Disney's revenues. It still could improve in South Korea though.

I think we will have worst Wednesday drop this week, specially for DM4,  because of Twisters EA which will take all PLF and Imax .

Hopefully for Weekend , Sunday drop will be much better .

Got Wed Preview showings for Twisters and Thu previews start 2pm locally.  There's like a lot of showtimes for Twisters on Thu.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

600m before Deadpool opens and it will still have quite a bit of summer ahead. Post Deadpool market is open as well. i think we will see some amazing holds. 

both IO2 and DM4 are going to benefit greatly from almost nothing appealing for families coming out until September. 

And likely both will get a nice late boost over the Labour Day weekend if theatres do the cheap movie ticket weekend that they’ve done the last few years. 

Great for both films, and for theatres.

1 hour ago, Selma said:

Between 620 to 640 million

I don't see it making only 620m. It will be at 605m by the time DP&W opens, and will still have another month of Summer weekdays after that. I think it will make 645-655 if it continues to follow Toy Story 4.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Shrek will have been gone from the screens for 16 years by the time this new one comes out, so that's a whole new generation of kids that have discovered the movies during that time and in addition to those who saw the previous ones in theaters. Same situation as Finding Dory and Incredibles 2. Plus, the second Puss in Boots movie was a big hit less than two years ago and Universal has been keeping the brand alive in their theme parks since the DreamWorks acquisition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Shrek will have been gone from the screens for 16 years by the time this new one comes out, so that's a whole new generation of kids that have discovered the movies during that time and in addition to those who saw the previous ones in theaters. Same situation as Finding Dory and Incredibles 2. Plus, the second Puss in Boots movie was a big hit less than two years ago and Universal has been keeping the brand alive in their theme parks since the DreamWorks acquisition.

Puss in the boots were successful but were not uber blockbuster. They had a leggy holiday and post holiday fueled run. That in no way indicates a uber blockbuster. 

I am not saying its not possible. But I feel we are over predicting it for now. Only time will tell for sure. 

• Like 1

I think Shrek 5 has a good chance to be the highest-grossing in the franchise unadjusted, but some of the predictions I've seen for it are way too optimistic. 

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

So what's the range for IO2's final DOM total?

650-679 million domestic because it’s been ahead of Incredibles 2 daily domestic gross so far.

Edited by Migs20242
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

Until Shrek 5 i think ( but also Mario 2 )

Shrek 5 and Mario 2 has no chance.

If the original Mario movie had a bad 5th weekend with GOTG Vol 3, then Mario 2 will have stiff competition with Avengers 5 on third weekend While Shrek 5 will have to deal with Toy Story 5 as well as Moana live action movie.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

DM4 at 225 already, yeah 300 is locked

Starting to believe in 350, insane run of this franchise 

For 350M, it must make great hold but with the lose of PLF/Imax and D&W next week , i think more 330-335M ( in line with Minions) . I think D&W weekend is the last weekend of the summer with big drop. After that,  Until Mid-Late September , except maybe Alien, movies , DM4 and IO2 specially , will make great legs.

I have a question : Are there National Cinema Day this year at late August ?

Edited by Grand Cine