kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

Depp didn't always have skeletons in his closet. Brad Pitt also certainly is no saint. Not everyone can Hartnett-esque in their personal life (guy even defended Britney Spears way earlier than everyone else).   :) 

Still doesn't look like it's slowing down tomorrow. Near 100 sales for XD 9:45 am showing which is beyond my comprehension but apparently a lot of morning people around here.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Still doesn't look like it's slowing down tomorrow. Near 100 sales for XD 9:45 am showing which is beyond my comprehension but apparently a lot of morning people around here.

Think the earliest I've watched a movie in cinemas is 11am. Movies has always been an afternoon/night event for me.

If the increase from Twisters and its true Friday ($21.5M) to Saturday's (27M+) tells me anything, it is that it won't be falling below $30M next weekend. 

That's an amazing jump for a movie during the heat of the summer and more evidence of just how strong walk-ups are. A movie like that shouldn't fall more than 60% even if it's going up against a behemoth like Deadpool and Wolverine. 

On 7/20/2024 at 1:15 PM, CoolioD1 said:

Big W for those of us who have been in the Powell Patrol since 2016.

never stopped holding stock

• Like 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

27+ is well safe. 27.5 possible.

Nice!

Also, I don't mean this in a bad way, but you should definitely make sure there aren't any errors before you post potential numbers for Deadpool and Wolverine next week. You gotta be extra careful with that movie especially. 

The last thing you wanna do is cause widespread panic amongst the MCU fanboys in which I'm sure a few of them look at forums like this. 

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

Nice!

Also, I don't mean this in a bad way, but you should definitely make sure there aren't any errors before you post potential numbers for Deadpool and Wolverine next week. You gotta be extra careful with that movie especially. 

The last thing you wanna do is cause widespread panic amongst the MCU fanboys in which I'm sure a few of them look at forums like this. 

He's been posting numbers for even bigger blockbusters than DP&W here for years. So has Empire (now just posts on Twitter to my knowledge). Minor calculation errors happen sometimes. No big deal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Nice!

There won't be any panic

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

DEJ character is very different than Jo Harding. Harding was an in-her prime chaser. DEJ character is a kid who has self created self doubt. Personally I think both DEJ and GP shine here and Twister 3 will be an easy $125m+ opener, especially if they up the anti and make it about hurricanes in Texas? 🤠

Tornadoes can form INSIDE massive hurricanes. Just saying…

3 hours ago, Eric Twister said:

This Powell and Prattburger stuff is boring. Can we talk about Timothee now?

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Timothee is a big fat zero without name franchises like Dune and Willy Wonka. Dune has a great ensemble cast and based on a popular novel with a great director making these films. Willy Wonka is based on existing IP and released in Christmas. Tim has zero boxoffice draw. Put him in rom com or even twisters and you will find out his worth. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Timothee is a big fat zero without name franchises like Dune and Willy Wonka. Dune has a great ensemble cast and based on a popular novel with a great director making these films. Willy Wonka is based on existing IP and released in Christmas. Tim has zero boxoffice draw. Put him in rom com or even twisters and you will find out his worth. 

Banned.

(I don’t actually disagree lol)

Something that does give me pause is Dead Reckoning also had an unusually good Saturday increase its opening weekend, and I'm sure the EA/previews did similarly soften Friday demand by comparison for Twisters. So might still be too soon to say just how much this means for legs. Still holding to my belief though that it can work as DP counterprogramming.

The DR Saturday was still just over half of the wed-fri gross though while this twisters Saturday would be 80%+

Edited by AniNate

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Something that does give me pause is Dead Reckoning also had an unusually good Saturday increase its opening weekend, and I'm sure the EA/previews did similarly soften Friday demand by comparison for Twisters. So might still be too soon to say just how much this means for legs. Still holding to my belief though that it can work as DP counterprogramming.

If I could go into a rant about Dead Reckoning for a minute, it really bothers me how Paramount botched the release of that film so bad. I'm not even talking about the fact that it was released a week before Barbenheimer, but Paramount's decision to release the film on a Wednesday and squeeze out every bit of money they could from early Tuesday previews and whatever. 

Not only did that hurt the weekend number, but it also made the narrative surrounding the number much worse. At the time, everything was expecting Dead Reckoning to get a bump from Top Gun: Maverick due to that film's gargantuan success, but that obviously didn't happen. However, had Paramount just released the film on a Friday, it probably would've done as much as it did over five days (78M+) and would've at least gotten the record of the biggest opening for a Mission: Impossible movie. It would've proven that the franchise is still as strong as ever, but it just didn't get any sort of bump from Maverick. 

I know Paramount wanted to have the film play on as many IMAX screens as possible, but I still think releasing it on Wednesday was a terrible idea and between that, the ridiculously high budget, and Barbenheimer taking over everything the week after, Dead Reckoning really did lose that summer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

Nice!

What are those nerds gonna do, pound on their keyboards? They'll live. Plus they deserve panic for supporting that

• Like 1