Eric the Marxist

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah this is a fandom-driven movie.

I think $500m is the higher-end target DOM

Out of all of the movies that made $200m OW, you have the December ones, which have an obvious legs advantage. Then you have the last two Avengers movies, which did not have exceptional multipliers, even if their OW was massive.

The other points are the first Avengers movie, which was released before Thursday previews were a thing. And then Black Panther, which I think reached an audience outside of just MCU fans, which is not yet known for Deadpool 3. And there's Jurassic World, and again, I don't think that's as fan-driven as Deadpool 3.

TDKR did 2.8x and this has seemingly better WOM. 2.4x would on par with Thor 4 which had terrible WOM. This has Summer weekdays too. I think after adjusting for how previews-heavy it is, 2.7-2.8x is a reasonable target.

Assuming a 205m OW for DP3, this is how much it will make with some OW to total multiplier for recent MCU movies

Spiderman NWH - 3.13x - 642m
GoTG3 - 3.03x - 621m

Shang Chi - 2.97x - 609

Captain Marvel - 2.78x - 570m

Deadpool 1 - 2.74x - 562m

Infinity War - 2.63x - 539m

Deadpool 2 - 2.54x - 520m

Black Panther 2 - 2.5x - 513m

Endgame - 2.4x - 493m

Thor L&T - 2.38x - 488m

Eternals - 2.31x - 474m

Doctor Strange 2 - 2.19x - 450m

Ant Man 3 - 2.02x - 414m

The Marvels - 1.83x - 376m

Considering it’s reception, the above shows that 500 should happen because barring Endgame, every movie with a multi below 2.44 (which is what is required to get to 500m) had terrible WOM. 

600m on the other hand seems difficult. NWH had Christmas legs, GOTG3 had muted OW hence its legs were good and Shang Chi was a newer character, opened much much lower and was very well received as well. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Assuming a 205m OW for DP3, this is how much it will make with some OW to total multiplier for recent MCU movies

Spiderman NWH - 3.13x - 642m
GoTG3 - 3.03x - 621m

Thor L&T - 2.38x - 488m

Eternals - 2.31x - 474m

Doctor Strange 2 - 2.19x - 450m

Ant Man 3 - 2.02x - 414m

The Marvels - 1.83x - 376m

Impressive

two fantastic multiples after the Endgame era but also a piece of crap like The Marvels and other movies

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

And now Joker 2 will have all the potential to open over 150M

You're talking WW, right? It's not sniffing nine figures domestically.

• Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, DAR said:

Remember when theaters were pronounced dead?

It was always stupid to think so, BUT there are obviously still many problems. Yes, we see a couple of huge numbers at the Top, but what's missing is the base. We shouldn't forget the lack of movies opening. The overall numbers are still kind of worrying.

Also, if you ask the cinema owners, the always declining numbers of audiences just hurt, because Dollars just don't buy concessions. There will be a ceiling for higher tickets making up for it. This turning point might be pretty hurtful and might change the cinematic landscape we knew and turn it into a premium product that's not for anybody after all. 

Q1 and Q2 will end up around what the year 2000 delivered. Ad that's in Dollar, not in terms of audiences. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, RthDeadWov said:

DPW  I had it 95-97m ,see few recent posts 97m, see how eve tracks 

Holy shit, Rth came back for Pool/Wolvie!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XXR & Friends said:

Huh? There have been several A+ Cinemascore films in the last 2 decades. 

How many R-rated A+s though, i'm sure there are a few but...

• Like 1

I think the most interesting thing about Wolverine & Deadpool is, the folks who didn't like the film genuinely seem to hate it. This is a review from someone I follow on Letterboxd:

Deadpool & Wolverine is utter garbage. A dramatically inert, idiotic, tonally messy, visually ugly exercise in unearned fan service and corporate masturbation. The action is interminable and the jokes are deeply unfunny. Its attempts at meaning are laughable. Excruciating.

I actually don't understand the contempt a small minority people have for this film.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
quote, not spoiler. oops...
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

And now Joker 2 will have all the potential to open over 150M

Highly doubt. Do expect over $100M but don’t seeing it having much fanboy rush like Deadpool 3 has. 

have it ~$130M rn 

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 3