Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

How is Twisters a part of this conversation? It made only $10 million Friday to Deadpool's ~55 million true Friday. Whereas Barbie and Oppenheimer were both coexisting really well.

It's still gonna gross 35+. Deadpool is the heavy lifter but just one summer after some said new ideas and original films were future, the 3rd Deadpool film (a cameo fest no less) and a legacy sequel in its 2nd weekend have a shot at matching or exceeding those two in admissions by top 2 movies in a weekend.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hypothetically if Twisters opened the same weekend it could've been a Barbenheimer level phenomenon, but I don't think theaters would've had the capacity for that.

Yes. But what's interesting is even though it's not getting the phenomenon hype, it's very possible the two will combine to match or exceed the admissions of Barbie/Oppenheimer OW. Great for box office. DM4, IO2, LL continue to leg it out too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's still gonna gross 35+. Deadpool is the heavy lifter but just one summer after some said new ideas and original films were future, the 3rd Deadpool film (a cameo fest no less) and a legacy sequel in its 2nd weekend have a shot at matching or exceeding those two in admissions by top 2 movies in a weekend.

IP ruled last summer. IP rules this summer. IP will rule next summer. 

6 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Idk the specifics of the debate prior to page 32. I am just a humble industry follower a few drinks in at 2am consuming a delicious street burrito. My single contribution is pointing out that $200m today is $150m a decade ago. You gotta get to about $265m in spending today to reach what would have been $200m a decade ago. Time flies, but money flies faster.

I actually can’t remember the point I was intending on make with this stat. I know it was a good one. But I’m gonna give up on this post and continue enjoying the burrito.

This is fucking hilarious lmao, I was also drunk eating a burrito last night I should have logged on here when I had the chance 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Founder / Operator
28 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hypothetically if Twisters opened the same weekend it could've been a Barbenheimer level phenomenon, but I don't think theaters would've had the capacity for that.

Like minds. :)

Not usually one to take any victory laps because the next weekend can always be humbling, and I'm still not happy with my misreading Barbenheimer weeks in advance last year, but... this feels much better in retrospect now:

https://boxofficetheory.com/5-week-box-office-forecast-deadpool-wolverine-182m-and-twisters-71m-tracking-to-become-a-mega-summer-combo/

Gonna celebrate with some chimichangas today.

Congrats to all the trackers here as well. Glad summer is winding down on a high note.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Both OW added together would be about $65-70m less than Endgame with about a 20% lower ATP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

IP ruled last summer. IP rules this summer. IP will rule next summer. 

For real lol. Barbie was much an IP-driven movie as Deadpool & Wolverine is.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

How is Twisters a part of this conversation? It made only $10 million Friday to Deadpool's ~55 million true Friday. Whereas Barbie and Oppenheimer were both coexisting really well.

Twisters didn’t open this weekend. Last weekend it made similar to Oppenheimer OW. 

Obviously it’s not a serious double feature. But it’s interesting how Twisters+Deadpool is bigger than Barbenheimer. 

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Both OW added together would be about $65-70m less than Endgame with about a 20% lower ATP

That's one movie though, and if they had to share PLFs it would adversely impact both their grosses.

Realistically though Deadpool would probably get them all regardless, so it would just be Twisters that suffers and I wouldn't want that.

It's truly been a pleasant surprise how big this summer turned out to be after a somewhat rough start (though Planet of the Apes did pretty well and IF's run was solid considering it earned mediocre reviews). Let's keep the party going for the rest of the year for the most part!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Twisters didn’t open this weekend. Last weekend it made similar to Oppenheimer OW. 

Obviously it’s not a serious double feature. But it’s interesting how Twisters+Deadpool is bigger than Barbenheimer. 

Yes. This is all I meant. And, it's great for box office. 

Here's hoping Twisters saved some face overseas this weekend. Maybe since the openings sucked so much it could actually benefit from DP sellouts the way the kids movies did here.