Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think the pushback is on arthouse theaters putting on Deadpool, not the conventional Regal/AMC types. 

He makes it clear he doesn't blame the theaters for this.

Streussing is annoying and prone to exaggeration

• Like 1

So, to sum up the weekend thread...

1. Deadpool & Wolvie definitely has a mixed WOM on this board...but either you love it or hate it (it's not mid), so the love group should ensure WOM doesn't fall off a cliff...

2. It's getting hard to do Phase 4/5 Marvel rankings b/c there's just SO MUCH STUFF!

3. D&W is making lotsa bucks OW...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, to sum up the weekend thread...

1. Deadpool & Wolvie definitely has a mixed WOM on this board...but either you love it or hate it (it's not mid), so the love group should ensure WOM doesn't fall off a cliff...

I do not think this board should ever be taken as a indicator of WOM among the GA/ Casuals. WOM seems great in the real world. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

Reynolds has his own theory about its success. “Disney probably doesn’t want me to frame it this way, but I’ve always thought of Deadpool & Wolverine as the first four-quadrant, R-rated film,” Reynolds tells THR. “Yes, it’s rated R, but we set out to make a movie with enough laughs, action and heart to appeal to everyone, whether you’re a comic book movie fan or not.”

There’s reason Disney and others may bristle at labeling it a four-quadrant film, which generally is reserved for movies that work equally for males and females over and under 25. Afterall, it is perhaps the most violent and bloody Deadpool movie yet.

Still, here’s evidence to back up Reynolds’ theory that it’s playing to a far more broad audience than the usual MCU movie, even if it’s skewing male by anywhere from 60 to 63 percent.

So far, 13.6 million people have bought tickets to see it, on par with last year’s Barbie, which was rated PG-13, according to Steve Buck’s leading research firm EntTelligence. That’s the most foot traffic ever for an R-rated movie.

The R rating afforded Reynolds the creative freedom needed to fulfill his vision. “When I saw rated-R movies when I was a kid, they left a huge impression on me because I didn’t feel like people were pulling punches, and it’s been a huge inspiration to so many of the things that I look to make now,” Reynolds recently told The New York Times.

I’m not saying that other people should do this, but my 9-year-old watched the movie with me and my mom, who’s in her late 70s, and it was just one of the best moments of this whole experience for me,” Reynolds continued in the NYT piece. “Both of them were laughing their guts out, were feeling the emotion where I most desperately hoped people would be.” 

If Disney is wary of declaring the new Deadpool film an all-audience film — aka, a four-quadrant film — it’s understandable considering it is the first R-rated film ever released by the studio. When Kevin Feige‘s Marvel Studios got its hands on the franchise after Disney absorbed 20th Century Fox, Disney chief Bob Iger went out of his way to assure audiences that Deadpool would retain its R-rating legacy.

For Reynolds, it’s been a long journey since Deadpool 2 was released by Fox in 2018, between the Disney-Fox merger, the pandemic and then the strikes, which shut down production for months. The movie, in fact, is replete with references to the Fox-Marvel handover, and its implications.

I’ve been in some form of writing, producing, performing, editing and marketing of Deadpool & Wolverine for three years. I’d say it’s hard work, but it’s closer to obsession. The privilege and honor of making a movie with two of my closest friends in Shawn Levy and Hugh Jackman is never lost on me,” Reynolds tells THR. “Neither is the obscene talent and competence of a ruthlessly devoted post-production team.

Reynolds is one savvy and intelligent Blake fucker. I think we are just getting started, I’ve watched Deadpool and Wolverine three times and I have a laser focus attention span to notice easter eggs and I’d argue that this is the most rewatchable Marvel Studios film since Avengers: Endgame, I rarely feel the urge to watch Marvel or any other films more than the usual two times I do for blockbusters I’m anticipating, but I, already craving to watch it again. I might go this Tuesday if I find the time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Streussing is annoying and prone to exaggeration

I don't think he is here. Cedar Lee is supposedly an art house but right now they're only devoting one screen to indie films. 

https://www.clevelandcinemas.com/our-locations/x04q9-cedar-lee-theatre/

Ngl it does suck to see them take this business model. But honestly doesn't seem like there's been a whole lot of indie stuff that's broken out even at the NY/LA level this season so I get arthouses just wanting to go with what they know audiences will show up for. We do still have the Cinematheque and Nightlight here so still have the art house options elsewhere for people that want them.

48 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Jurassic World Dominion actually has a plot and structure though

Yea but Dominion was boring and cringy. Might be the worst movie to ever cross a billion. 

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't think he is here. Cedar Lee is supposedly an art house but right now they're only devoting one screen to indie films. 

https://www.clevelandcinemas.com/our-locations/x04q9-cedar-lee-theatre/

Ngl it does suck to see them take this business model. But honestly doesn't seem like there's been a whole lot of indie stuff that's broken out even at the NY/LA level this season so I get arthouses just wanting to go with what they know audiences will show up for. We do still have the Cinematheque and Nightlight here so still have the art house options elsewhere for people that want them.

My arthouse theater should be screening Evil Does Not Exist that opened here in Brazil Friday. Yet all the screens are divided between Deadpool and Inside Out 2. 

I can understand why the theaters are doing this, but it’s revolting that 16 screenings daily in my multiplex isn’t enough, it also has to be in theaters that aren’t even created for this movies.

• Like 1

I think it's another symptom of a lot of multiplexes closing in the post-COVID era. There are more "movie deserts" these days and arthouses that remain have ended up filling that void when they play blockbusters.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like how quickly it's gone from "There's room for everyone, it's all fair" to "Just don't get in the big dog's way, let it hog up any amount of space it wants". Why is it the movie that's already guaranteed to make obscene amounts of money anyway that needs to be additionally accommodated? It's exactly the kind of practice that led us to this rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer situation in the box office in the first place.

What do ya'll want the blockbusters to do? Intentionally make less money?

It's based on demand.

• Like 5

I think it's bizarre to care so deeply about someone else's opinion on art, there's nothing to prove or win here. You liked the movie? That's great you do you. You hated it? That's great you do you. 

Pages and pages of people going back and forth bemoaning over people not agreeing with them about a superhero movie is exhausting. Neither side is going to magically convince the other that they're right, so why go through this cycle again and again? People are entitled to think Deadpool and Wolverine is the greatest movie of the year, and people are also entitled to think it's absolute dog water.  

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I know its a meme coming from me, but Jurassic World 5 next year also has a non-zero chance at a 200M OW, completely depending on the movies premise, the trailers and ofc, if they can manage to recreat the pure fun energy of the first JW or not.

Though to be clear, atm i would predict more like a 140M OW for it, close to Dominion.

5 day weekend.

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It wouldn’t miss $600M with a $100M second weekend. 

I can just imagine this a Tweet from Jat in 24 hours or something that's like "looks like [insert number] for DPW on Monday. Excellent hold on track for $600M+" or something haha

5 hours ago, Firepower said:

Truly great monster movies have good human characters and solid stories, Godzilla Kong is a disposable cartoonish CGI fest, it's not a good example of anything.

Godzilla x Kong is a Great Monster movie.

I know which movie or gets compared with but here it goes, Godzilla x Kong is easily superior to Minus One, since one is a Monster movie, other is a Human movie with Monster in it.

And actually you have a good character in GxK, it's called Kong.

• Astonished 1