Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

MERC

icegif-253.gif

WITH

dba77d2d7390919aa3c44d77efa326f0.gif

A

giphy.webp

MOUTH

bce1f21d36c54ab48764b145efbc1ffb.gif

In 2016, to the shock of millions around the world, Ryan Reynolds’ wacky new comedy Deadpool, which brought R-rated raunch and parodic wit to the Marvel Fox-Men universe, became one of the biggest sensations of the year. In a year dominated by superheroes, from wars against superheroes, magic-filled doctors, supervillain teams, and that one piece of shit named X-Men: Apocalypse, Deadpool was a breath of fresh air. A movie that dared to have fun with the material. A movie that was so irreverent and self-aware that it satirized and mocked the films in its own franchise. A movie that felt like a true palate cleanser from the constant barrage of superhero adventures. Like Scream back in the 90s, it was both a love letter and a modernized satire of an entire genre. And you can argue, like Scream, it helped make other producers more self-aware of their material and reinvigorate the genre’s popularity. Of course, this time, it just made the biggest genre ever...even bigger.

With a hit sequel in 2018, Ryan Reynolds was conspicuously absent from the superhero limelight. Not his fault of course, but wacky shenanigans regarding studio changes, multiverse craziness, and capitalism being terrible meant the fabled Deadpool 3 took forever and a half to actually come out. However, six years later, we finally had the prayers of millions of Marvel nerds answered as Deadpool is now officially in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Oh, and Hugh Jackman's back as Wolverine for the last time...again.

With multiverse craziness, wacky comedy, tons of rumored cameos, and plenty of kino post-credits scenes, Marvel fans are more hyped than ever on this hilarious thrill ride. Especially at a time when the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going through severe growing pains and cultural disinterest. Can this turn things around and deliver an opening for the ages? Or are we getting numbers as unfuckable as Wade Wilson's face? Regardless of what happens, we all just need to remember to relax and have fun and enjoy the thrills of Marvel weekend threads.

Though of course, we have some ironclad rules to follow...

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. THIS INCLUDES SPOILERS UNDER A SPOILER TAG. This also applies to every other movie currently in theaters and every new movie/show recently released on streaming. So no Twisters spoilers, no Despicable Me 4 spoilers, no Beverly Hills Cop 4 spoilers, etc.

2. GOOD VIBES! Big weekends like these are supposed to be fun. So don’t be a party pooper and ruin things for everybody. You don't have to insult people for not liking Marvel movies, you don't have to say theaters are dead without Marvel, you don't have to say Marvel movies are the death of cinema. This forum's all about silly fun, so don't make it something it's not.

3. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

And lastly...

4. DON'T BE A DICK

We good? We good. Now...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

wolverine-hugh-jackman-claw-jjra705u2100

icegif-1306.gif

icegif-1300.gif

LET'S DO THIS SHIT

giphy.webp

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

I can't remember the last time I've been to a Thursday night showing of a new release. I have to be up for work at 3:30 a.m. during the week but I still might make an exception and go tonight. This is easily my most anticipated film of the year.

• Like 6

Just checking my local cinemas here north of Toronto and they've got three showings today. The earliest showing starts at 3:30 p.m.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

$197m OW

$540m DOM total

$1.16b WW total

Those would be amazing numbers

• Like 1

Interesting case for me where im way more excited about the numbers than the film itself (I have Marvel-Burnout).

Hoping ofc for 200M+

• Like 1

Yeah kinda have burnout myself, but the numbers should be fun.

The B&T thread seems to be pointing ever closer to $40m for previews but I have a hard time seeing that, just seems so high. I have a nice round 35 penciled in for today, 50 for Friday, ~180 for the weekend. 

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh please let this hit 200M this weekend, it's been a while since one of these, hasn't it?

Last time was No Way Home back in December 2021.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

This will smash the OW record for an R-rated movie but what's the biggest R-rated movie's domestic gross?

tumblr_pf9n90pa1L1xpdwtoo3_540.gifv

tumblr_pf9n90pa1L1xpdwtoo1_540.gifv

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1