kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

13 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I see the MCU is dying thing is still going on.  That will never go stop will it as long as it does not actually die.  Around and around we go. 

You can ask that question to these who track overseas box office they will tell you that it is losing markets and that the interest is drying out ala the Fast Saga everything has it´s time and place and everything goes out of trend eventually and MCU is losing massive markets because they are tired of it.

Call me crazy but I think big budget Sci-fi movies are the next big thing coming up something done well like Avatar or a colony of humans encountering alien species trying to colonize a planet etc etc. But it has to be big budget movies with original material sources with massive world buildings cause people want to experience an adventure this is one thing James Cameron understands hence why he focusses so much on World building. 

I think there are many brillant directors and film makers who can chellenge him or outdo him in the world building category and sort of profit of that 

Edited by Geo1500

I could see DP&W increasing 1.4-1.5m with actuals but not enough to get it to 100m unfortunately. It would need the same hold it had its first Sunday, which had capacity spillover to help achieve that minuscule drop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

I don't disagree but weren't we just talking about MCU in its current, non-rebooted form?

Also just team up Sam Wilson with the new MCU Wolverine in Cap 5 and he should be fine

I don't wanna be one to say it but Sam Wilson Cap won't work and neither would have Bucky cap if they chose this. It *might work in USA but OS it won't. 

Marvel did so much work to establish Trinity even more than Avengers itself that audience won't accept new Cap , I would be happy to be proven wrong.

The only reason Black Widow switch up might work with Yelena is that , they actually haven't made her officially Black Widow yet. Yelena is already co-lead/lead in the movies she is part of. Sam never got that chance. He was presented at sidekick till Endgame ending.

If Thunderbolts work , watch Florence get a standalone Black Widow movie.

16 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I thought only Spider-Man/Avengers got that much in Japan? "Peak MCU" era Thor Ragnarok got all of 10M

@Geo1500 you conveniently sidestepped this post that flies against what you said. Also it's only Spidey and main Avengers films who are really huge in SK too. 

The only real loss I see is China and that isvthe case for almost every major Hollywood franchise, not just MCU

• Like 6

I mean it's time to forget China for Hollywood but again IO2 will reach 1.6b without China. So again LatAM markets potential is increasing.  MCU could be even more big there with right projects

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I don't wanna be one to say it but Sam Wilson Cap won't work and neither would have Bucky cap if they chose this. It *might work in USA but OS it won't. 

Marvel did so much work to establish Trinity even more than Avengers itself that audience won't accept new Cap , I would be happy to be proven wrong.

The only reason Black Widow switch up might work with Yelena is that , they actually haven't made her officially Black Widow yet. Yelena is already co-lead/lead in the movies she is part of. Sam never got that chance. He was presented at sidekick till Endgame ending.

If Thunderbolts work , watch Florence get a standalone Black Widow movie.

RDJ was a hit right off the bat. Thor and Loki were a one-two punch who caught on with Avengers. Cap had Black Widow in WS and then Civil War happened. Sam is pretty much solo in Cap 4. All it needs to do is not bomb disastrously and then they can attach a big name mutant costar in Cap 5

• Like 1

My big worry for Cap4 is that it's either going to rely on people having watched the TV series (which they won't have) OR its going to have to just completely rehash all the themes it already went through in that show, which will turn off the hard core fans that actually saw it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I mean it's time to forget China for Hollywood but again IO2 will reach 1.6b without China. So again LatAM markets potential is increasing.  MCU could be even more big there with right projects

there is no hollywood beef in China quite surprisingly and far from it but they are just bored to hell with MCU. It got repetitive hence why movies like Avatar was a smash hit in China because it was something different and unique.

Avatar 2 made a whopping $245,996,272 in China 

Edited by Geo1500

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So again LatAM markets potential is increasing.  MCU could be even more big there with right projects

We just need to be careful going in there. It's still showing growth but we're still a region fairly sensitive to political and social shakes. Inside Out 2 feels like got caught in a perfect storm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geo1500 said:

Contrary to what people believe China is not dead and far from it but they are just bored to hell with MCU. 

245m is far from whopping lol

Considering the kind of numbers it did outside China. China should have been atleast 500m+ easily. And in pre covid world it would have done that

3 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

My big worry for Cap4 is that it's either going to rely on people having watched the TV series (which they won't have) OR its going to have to just completely rehash all the themes it already went through in that show, which will turn off the hard core fans that actually saw it.

If you have watched the trailer ,you can see it's already a rehash of main theme of the show cause most people didn't watch the show or liked it much.

It won't matter if you watched the show or not. 

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

245m is far from whopping lol

Considering the kind of numbers it did outside China. China should have been atleast 500m+ easily. And in pre covid world it would have done that

True but people were still cautious in that period as it was early post-covid but the fact that it made 245m is amazing during such period 

Number of Weeks in the Top 5 [consecutive]

9 weeks - MIGRATION

8 weeks - WONKA

8 weeks - INSIDE OUT II

7 weeks - GODZILLA × KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

7 weeks - KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

You can ask that question to these who track overseas box office they will tell you that it is losing markets and that the interest is drying out ala the Fast Saga everything has it´s time and place and everything goes out of trend eventually and MCU is losing massive markets because they are tired of it.

Call me crazy but I think big budget Sci-fi movies are the next big thing coming up something done well like Avatar or a colony of humans encountering alien species trying to colonize a planet etc etc. But it has to be big budget movies with original material sources with massive world buildings cause people want to experience an adventure this is one thing James Cameron understands hence why he focusses so much on World building. 

I think there are many brillant directors and film makers who can chellenge him or outdo him in the world building category and sort of profit of that 

Yes both things can coexist you know. The MCU will keep going on. Some things will hit and other will not. No argument the MCU is past  it's glory day peaks but there will be highs like right now with DP and W because Feige knows how to pivot and adjust and keep it going.

I agree with the notion that some superhero characters work better for remakes/reboots than others. Batman, Spider-Man and Superman are not only characters, but also kind of iconic figures of pop culture history that go beyond comics and movies themselves, partly ofc because they already had so many new interpretations that most of the time worked.

Characters like Iron Man or Captain America dont have that kind of standing. Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man and Chris Evans IS Captain America and thats the main reason why i dont think Cap 4 will be all that succesfull.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

there is no hollywood beef in China quite surprisingly and far from it but they are just bored to hell with MCU. It got repetitive hence why movies like Avatar was a smash hit in China because it was something different and unique.

Yeah okay let’s just ignore all the other movies China has rejected post 2020’s. It’s just the MCU! What a joke 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geo1500 said:

The MCU is over in my honest opinion meaning it has to be rebooted atleast in 2028 marking the 20 year anniversary. This saga has run for 16 years now. 

MCU has now lost 3 massive Asian markets (China, Japan, and South Korea) They have simply had enough and everyone will follow suit like the Mideast, Latin America, South East Asia and Finally Europe. The MCU relesaed 34 films and only 10 of them made into the billion club and there has been more misses then wins if you take closer look as of late. 

Example look at the Fast Franchiese it has overstayed it´s welcome and the reason it kept going was because of the overseas popularity kept them going, while becoming culturally trendsetters and increasing car races among youths worldwide and creating sports cars fanatics but eventually it over stayed it´s welcome 25 years that is a quarter of a century hence it´s overseas markets have collapsed. 

The same thing is happening to MCU the fact that China, Japan and South korea markets have collapsed is a sign of fatigue and MCU getting out of trend and everything in life has it is time and place. 

The best thing Kevin Feige can do post Secret wars is to reboot it but first they need to stop doing MCU movies for atleast a decade and allow people to feel nostalgia about them again aka let them miss these movies again.

Secret wars should be the last movie

If Avengers 6 makes over 1.4 billion they're not stopping.

They need East Asia to hit ~2.5 billion. They can still make an assload of money without them.

Cap 4 will flop in Asia because of...reasons, but it should do fine in the rest of the world.

Especially after trailers show more Red Hulk.

Edited by grey ghost

24 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Having seen the extended Comic Con footage it does not look like a rehash of the series. They might have to explain who the Bradleys are, but everything else felt very straight forward.

I am incredibly bias because Sam Wilson is one of the hills I will die on, but the footage looked excellent. I was really surprised how much subtle changes in what they showed enhanced my hype. They are holding back two major plot points. 

I do agree with some others that Bucky should have been in this (and I say that as someone who never wants to see Bucky again).  But Spellman had his own agenda, so whatever. That said, I am excited for the end credit of Thunderbolts to just be Sam and Bucky like: “Where the fuck were YOU?” “Me? Where the fuck were YOU?”

• Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1