kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

If they weren't planning on seeing the movie in theaters anyway what difference does it make? If there's no FOMO in skipping it in theaters then I'd have to assume the same applies to PVOD as well.

I never buy this early PVOD doesn't hurt the BO theory. Yes they may not affect legs but that is because they already hurt the OW from the beginning. Until the yearly BO or monthly BO return to pre-pandemic level, I am not even asking for admission, the statement of PVOD doesn't hurt BO never stand.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

You just have to disconnect completely from socials if you really want to avoid spoilers. Can't expect everyone to keep their lips sealed for your sake.

spoilers is one thing but seeing full fledged clips is another 

Whether PVOD impacts openings or not (I'm inclined to agree it does, but I also think it's a net benefit to the general accessibility of cinematic entertainment so I don't want to bemoan it), I don't know what that has to do with preserving the integrity of spoilers, or even why that would be of material interest to the studio that decides on the PVOD date.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaxon5 said:

Its amazing because Iron Man, Cap 1 and Thor had romance and they kicked off the entire universe. Ant Man, spiderman had it and GOTG & BP had small hints of it so the romance only seemed to end after IW. 

Then again, Eternals had it too but that movie was beyond terrible. Actually thinking about it, there's more romance than I remember 

I think the biggest examples I could think of in the films was Shang Chi and Dr. Strange. Shang-Chi has no love interest, just a side kick…maybe romance in their future? Who knows. We’ll find out in the sequel that is released 6-7 years too late. And Dr. Strange downplayed Christine to the point of wasting Rachel McAdams’ time. I hope she got a good paycheck.  Eternals is the only other new addition post phase 2 that I can think of. BP has lupita but did they even kiss? I don’t remember it. They have a baby off screen. Very romantic, Feige. Probably the biggest new  romance post Avengers 1 is Peter and Gamora. And it got thrown off a cliff but I liked how Gunn dealt with that by having 2014-Gamora not get with Peter and going their seperate ways. Romance in MCU is very bleak and sanitized.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, baumer said:

I just come here and make a cameo from time to time.

I hope all the old guard return for the 2 avengers movies. The people demand cameos!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I think Aquaman has the bigger female audience percent (56%) for a superhero movie. 

It's always curious that Aquaman seems to have a bigger female audience than Wonder Woman. I mean, Wonder Woman is an iconic female character who didn't have a movie until that time (the movie also has romance).

Oh yeh, I meant best as in most equal. 

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I think Aquaman has the bigger female audience percent (56%) for a superhero movie. 

It's always curious that Aquaman seems to have a bigger female audience than Wonder Woman. I mean, Wonder Woman is an iconic female character who didn't have a movie until that time (the movie also has romance).

It's obvious why Aquaman did so well, shirtless Jason Moama.

• Like 1

It’s funny we’re discussing timing of spoilers seeing as today seems to be the day Reynolds/Jackman and co are unleashing all of the spoilers for D&W. 

Clearly decided two weekends and they can go to town. I’m sure there’s evidence that those that weren’t going to go might now want to see it if they’ve just found out about cameos etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

It’s funny we’re discussing timing of spoilers seeing as today seems to be the day Reynolds/Jackman and co are unleashing all of the spoilers for D&W. 

Clearly decided two weekends and they can go to town. I’m sure there’s evidence that those that weren’t going to go might now want to see it if they’ve just found out about cameos etc. 

Reynolds doesn't care anymore. Putting out spoilers now is a form of marketing to get people on the fence to finally go see the movie. The longer people put off seeing the movie, the less likely they go.

On the Twisters PVOD debate, I really don’t see PVOD having too much of an impact on its box office. A lot of the talk surrounding the film (minus thirsting over Powell) is the 4DX. Even if people don’t see it in 4DX, the fact that the “theatrical experience” of it is what much of the conversation is centered around means people would be more willing to shell out the money for this on the big screen, rather than pay 20-30$ to watch it at home. It’s sort of entering a Dune category in that sense.

• Like 1

The forum overestimates PVOD's near-term impact in general. It's been shown time and time again to have minimal effect on legs, people just get anxious about it because it's "not movie theaters". There are different nuances to the appeals of movie theaters v PVOD, and they coexist now as part of studios' larger distribution strategies.

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I think the biggest examples I could think of in the films was Shang Chi and Dr. Strange. Shang-Chi has no love interest, just a side kick…maybe romance in their future? Who knows. We’ll find out in the sequel that is released 6-7 years too late. And Dr. Strange downplayed Christine to the point of wasting Rachel McAdams’ time. I hope she got a good paycheck.  Eternals is the only other new addition post phase 2 that I can think of. BP has lupita but did they even kiss? I don’t remember it. They have a baby off screen. Very romantic, Feige. Probably the biggest new  romance post Avengers 1 is Peter and Gamora. And it got thrown off a cliff but I liked how Gunn dealt with that by having 2014-Gamora not get with Peter and going their seperate ways. Romance in MCU is very bleak and sanitized.

It began to shrivel up after IM2. Jane Foster's romance with Thor was forgettable in the first film. Steve/Peggy should have been much stronger if we were to buy into them being a multi-decade long everlasting love. The Avengers was when it really began to disappear with nothing beyond token romantic scenes like Tony/Pepper. Winter Soldier didn't even have it (though I did really enjoy Steve and Natasha's sibling equation, which made the kissing scene slightly ick on top of being juvenile).

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Most of the folks in Deadpool & Wolverine who were hidden in the marketing for "opening weekend surprise!" purposes have been doing interviews ever since it came out (especially since a number of them have fairly substantial roles and would've been part of the pre-release publicity tour otherwise), so it's pretty fair game to mention their appearance when they themselves are now going to the press to talk about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Eh, Aquaman did NOT have a bigger female audience than Wonder Woman. WW opened closer to double of AQM. More women watched Wondy. It's just that far less men attended AQM in its opening weekend hence the percentage imbalance.