kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

So you are saying you are a MCU character now?

I am box office theory forum Jesus 😎

I'm kidding of course guys.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Reynolds doesn't care anymore. Putting out spoilers now is a form of marketing to get people on the fence to finally go see the movie. The longer people put off seeing the movie, the less likely they go.

Pretty sure he realizes also that all of the cameos and plot twists and spoilers and so on have been leaked everywhere in the world now. So if you can't beat them you might as well join them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

On the Twisters PVOD debate, I really don’t see PVOD having too much of an impact on its box office. A lot of the talk surrounding the film (minus thirsting over Powell) is the 4DX. Even if people don’t see it in 4DX, the fact that the “theatrical experience” of it is what much of the conversation is centered around means people would be more willing to shell out the money for this on the big screen, rather than pay 20-30$ to watch it at home. It’s sort of entering a Dune category in that sense.

Universal don’t hold back any of their movies from the rules they introduced around COVID. 

I can’t quite remember the exact threshold and number of weeks, but they’ve been consistent in how they do it. 

Only Oppenheimer I believe was exempt from it because of Papa Nolan

JW Dominion came out just as quick as Twisters is going to. 

DM4 hits PVOD tomorrow. 

Edit: Uni go to PVOD after the third weekend, unless a film opens over $50 million and then they have to wait an extra week. 

Edited by wildphantom

IO2 with another fantastic hold, off just -21% from the previous weekend.

$6.812M for the weekend.

If it follows I2 then it passes Barbie next Sunday (day 59). It would also pass JW's cumulative by day next Sunday.

The-numbers also reporting $96.809 for D&W.

Assuming it gets a Labor Day weekend expansion like pther Pixar movies have it is on pace to pass JW on the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend.

IO2 needs a 52.3% drop or less on Monday to stay above $1M.

• Astonished 1

3 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

spoilers is one thing but seeing full fledged clips is another 

which can be avoided by staying off social media.

Edited by Assassin

Keep Inside Out 2 in theaters til the Holidays to get the Moana 2 double features, push it to $700m.

Or maybe above TFA, wherever it's at at that point.

Edited by toutvabien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rihrey said:

Actuals:

D&W: $96,809,328

IO2: $6,811,618

That IO2 number! Very exciting. I really hope it stays over 1 million today but I'll gladly take tying Avatar for the most days over 1 million consecutively since 2020 

Very curious about how the Deadpool drop will look today. I remember Inside Out had that inflated Sunday due to that insane heat wave at the time so it had a steeper percentage drop. Deadpool might match that, which would be good in terms of pace. 58-60% drop or thereabouts. 

I know I'm very late on the PVOD discussion, but I just want to say that I don't think a movie releasing 17 or 31 days on PVOD after or during its theatrical run hurts it that much. 

The best example is Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

That movie went to PVOD only 16 days after it was officially released in theaters and grossed about $115.5M domestically (about 60% of its final domestic total) after it was available on PVOD. 

Maybe there's a small portion of people who will just wait for the PVOD release, but I think more than 90% of people either don't know or don't care about the PVOD release. If they want to see it in theaters, they will go no matter what.

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Eh, Aquaman did NOT have a bigger female audience than Wonder Woman. WW opened closer to double of AQM. More women watched Wondy. It's just that far less men attended AQM in its opening weekend hence the percentage imbalance.

Wonder Woman made 103.3M in its 3-day OW, while Aquaman made 67.9M. However, Aquaman has practically a 5-day OW where it made 105.7M.

The 56% female audience for Aquaman seems to be considering the 5-day OW. So, it's likely more women watched Aquaman at the end.

Edited by Kon

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Looks like Cinemark is just letting Deadpool keep XD next week. They've also broken out the desperately flashy showtime banner for Borderlands on their website.

It's going to be hilarious when all IMAX showtimes for Deadpool are full when showtimes for Borderlands are mostly empty. Wonder if Deadpool will get some showings back on Sat and Sun.

Canton is giving Twisters a 235-seat screen back, next best thing to XD. It'd been stuck in 100-130 seaters the last couple weeks and been filling those to capacity in the evenings and weekends. Borderlands is just getting one 133 seat screen and It Ends with Us is getting three 100 seaters.

Looking at week-to-week drops before and after won't quantify the audience segment who now never shows up in the first place since they have been trained to expect digital access within 1 month of release instead of 2 or 3. I'm sure that may be a relatively small portion but don't know why I'd want to train to that now from a studio perspective (except I guess the cited reason using it as a way to avoid double-spending on ad campaigns, still seems short-sighted).

Edited by Jiffy