kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

All the major studios actually ended up having an at least decent summer with the exception of WB (luckily they had two smashes in the spring and have two potentially big blockbusters in the fall to make up for it). We love to see the industry thriving overall!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

A $97M second weekend pretty much locks $600M anyways 

Well I always thought 600 was very doable after that opening weekend.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aside from Harold being a nonstarter (as expected), this is a strong weekend. Curious as to when National Cinema Day (if it's happening this year) will be to boost the holdovers, clearly going to be one of the two dead-looking 8/23 or 8/30 weekends.

Deadline projecting $168mil overall, just slightly below last year's take. Very much on the strength of great holdover performances.

Ends and Alien look like they will be much bigger now than many (myself included) were anticipating, so next couple weeks should be more steps back in a positive direction. If they hit this might actually be the first month since March that beats last year's calendar take.

• Like 1

Trap's budget is $30M according to Deadline, making it easily the most expensive M. Night joint in over a decade. Knew that creating a fake concert was going to drive the price up (even with the advantage of some level of Bohemian Rhapsody-esque CGI trickery, that's thousands of extras you still need to employ).

Deadpool only dropping about 50% despite summer weekdays shows WOM is clearly through the roof.

also people mentioning MoM reminded me of how the rules of the multiverse seems to change with each movie. Didn’t they say in that movie that when you dream you dream of your other multiverse self and if you go into another universe you could cause its destruction or something? Makes no sense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool only dropping about 50% despite summer weekdays shows WOM is clearly through the roof.

also people mentioning MoM reminded me of how the rules of the multiverse seems to change with each movie. Didn’t they say in that movie that when you dream you dream of your other multiverse self and if you go into another universe you could cause its destruction or something? Makes no sense. 

When it comes to science fiction mumbo jumbo in movies, it's just best to smile and nod and let it happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

People who made MoM clearly didn't knew what they were doing. 

10 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

Idk if anyone else has seen this but trap seems to be doing better than old in a lot of markets overseas

Josh. 😎

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

A $212M OW monster having a potential $100M second weekend shows the myth "Marvel movies are becoming more frontloaded" isn't true. Those MCU films that had weak legs just weren't enjoyed by the GA/MCU fans

A lighter than expected second weekend drop also tends to happen for any movie when the high number of showtimes reaching maximum capacity the first weekend forces people who don't like dealing with crowds nearly as much to see it at on a later date.

• Like 1

Deadpool & Wolverine is heading towards a remarkable 2nd weekend, a huge jump on Saturday and a solid hold on Sunday might help it to see a 100 million 2nd weekend, trashing all records for R Rated stuff

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I strongly believe last week D23 announcement about RDJ joining back MCU was part of the strong hold. It hype up the whole MCU like bringing people back to the pleasure they haven't felt since NWH. Like RDJ coming back, DW mark a coming back moment. So don't be surprised if third weekend hold wasn't stellar. Similar situation happened to IO2 when the "Pixar is back" hype charged the second weekend and the movie ended up having weaker third weekend hold than second, which is quite an unusual trend.

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Guess what, the movie is available on digital platforms on August 13. Not even a month in cinemas.

Won't matter and I'm pretty sure it is a full month.

From July 12th. July had 31 days.

15 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Won't matter and I'm pretty sure it is a full month.

From July 12th. July had 31 days.

It was released on July 19.

31 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I strongly believe last week D23 announcement about RDJ joining back MCU was part of the strong hold. It hype up the whole MCU like bringing people back to the pleasure they haven't felt since NWH. Like RDJ coming back, DW mark a coming back moment. So don't be surprised if third weekend hold wasn't stellar. Similar situation happened to IO2 when the "Pixar is back" hype charged the second weekend and the movie ended up having weaker third weekend hold than second, which is quite an unusual trend.

Didn't DM4 opened on IO2 3rd weekend and affected it. DP&W don't have anything on its 3rd weekend, and we might wait for the 4th so Romulus can claim #1 spot. A 100M or so 2nd weekend most certainly would mean 40M+ 3rd one at the very least which could be further boosted by D23 being on Augst 9-11th