kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Shyamalan’s goal. Waste as many interesting premises as possible. 

For almost few days, I really thought Trap could his biggest OW since Glass, judging from the better show of interest to the trailer but the review and exit simply doesn't work in his favour. His approach to the film has been quite disservice to some that cap the movie's celling to go higher.

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah people act like that first X-Men movie was some huge influential hit. I mean, I don't know we already had Blade in 1998, and Spider-Man was already in development and came out just two years later. X-Men did decently for its budget but it barely outgrossed stuff like Scary Movie and What Lies Beneath

Domestic Box Office For 2000 - Box Office Mojo

X-Men more than doubled Blade's box office. And despite the attempts at making things "grounded" and "realistic", the X-Men movies were far more identified and promoted by their Marvel branding than the Blade movies ever were. If anything, Blade was advertised less on the Marvel brand and more on just being a Snipes action movie. Plus, the first X-Men came out at a time when the only superhero movie character making any sort of money was Batman. And even then, we were post-Batman and Robin. By this point, superhero movies were completely dead. I don't really see why we're downplaying one of the biggest hits of the year. A movie that, at that time, had the sixth biggest opening in box office history.

Now I'm not saying it was the main impetus why Marvel became as big as it was. Spider-Man was a guaranteed hit no matter what. But it certainly did a lot to make Marvel popular and cool with today's kids. Hell, the first X-Men was Kevin Feige's first job. You can argue that these movies could have grossed more, but without X-Men, we literally wouldn't even have The Avengers or Avengers-level hits. So there.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

X-Men more than doubled Blade's box office. And despite the attempts at making things "grounded" and "realistic", the X-Men movies were far more identified and promoted by their Marvel branding than the Blade movies ever were. If anything, Blade was advertised less on the Marvel brand and more on just being a Snipes action movie. Plus, the first X-Men came out at a time when the only superhero movie character making any sort of money was Batman. And even then, we were post-Batman and Robin. By this point, superhero movies were completely dead. I don't really see why we're downplaying one of the biggest hits of the year. A movie that, at that time, had the sixth biggest opening in box office history.

Now I'm not saying it was the main impetus why Marvel became as big as it was. Spider-Man was a guaranteed hit no matter what. But it certainly did a lot to make Marvel popular and cool with today's kids. Hell, the first X-Men was Kevin Feige's first job. You can argue that these movies could have grossed more, but without X-Men, we literally wouldn't even have The Avengers or Avengers-level hits. So there.

Hollywood making Marvel blockbusters was inevitable. (Hollywood might be crazy but they're not stupid)

But they were incredibly skeptical of funny books after Batman and Robin flopped.

But when they saw an R rated vampire movie with a black actor do breakout it was a huge selling point for Marvel.

Not enough to get Marvel favorable movie contracts however.

Sony is still milking that deal after 23 years.

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah people act like that first X-Men movie was some huge influential hit. I mean, I don't know we already had Blade in 1998, and Spider-Man was already in development and came out just two years later. X-Men did decently for its budget but it barely outgrossed stuff like Scary Movie and What Lies Beneath

Domestic Box Office For 2000 - Box Office Mojo

What is this? Scary Movie (beloved Wayans spoof on Scream) and What Lies Beneath (Harrison Ford-Michelle Pfeiffer thriller back when adults still went to movies to see stars) were extremely popular. No one knew Blade was a marvel movie except comic book fans.

And X-Men showed people would still go to comic book movies and that the audience was happy they could be treated as something beyond the camp of the last few Batman films. Obviously Spider-Man only raised the level of how we viewed CBM, but in 2000 no one knew what was to come. They were perfectly happy X-Men raised the stakes.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I think we're forgetting that the Blade movies are bad. And the only good work David S. Goyer did was when Nolan was actually writing the shit.

Speak for yourself on the quality of the Blade movies.  Or least the first two. Those have a great reputation. The third one is terrible though.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

That's just cause nerds have bad taste

Knock it off. Those two movies have a great reputation and are well loved. Yeah critics were not crazy about them but still. 

I think the first Blade film is good but the last 2 I didn't care for. Looking back, Ryan Reynolds being in these films is hilarious. His filmography was trending on twitter last week when D&W was released.

Btw I want to point one good thing about this year

-> Many films are doing really great. Like holds week to week despite losing theatres is insane. This summer is going so good at box office , you rarely see like this. Most of the major movies are doing excellent business after couple of missteps in May. 

Planet of Apes giving us hope , Bad Boys become insanely lucrative franchise when many didn't think so. 

IO2 just completely blowing up , paving a new path for Pixar and obv Disney dominance. 

Quiet Place remains great horror franchise. Audience are clearly interested.

DM4 doing excellent and the franchise remains at Top. Both IO2 and DM4 coexisting so well. 

Longlegs literally doing as the name suggests. 

And then we ended July with Twisters and Deadpool , needless to say both got great reception and doing unpredictable business. 

And if that wasn't enough  , we have 2 more likely breakouts with It Ends with us and Alien. 

Basically,  there is still interest and lot of interest in cinema and there are many IPs waiting to be churned beyond SuperHero movies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

anyone notice that Inside Out 2 has had a better multiplier than the original. 

While IO2 cinemascore might not be A+ and I completely get why , there is bit of that sequelite feeling with Pixar for many.

But coming to why it's doing way way better than best outcome. The dialogs and scenes in movie are instant hits. I won't spoil anything but I was amazed and literally cried at many scenes lol

Ppl downplaying the influence of the 2000s X-Movies are wild. If it hadn't been for them, it would've just been Spidey and the situation would have been the same as WB/DC for the longest time where studio execs felt only 1-2 characters (Batman and Superman) were viable 

As for Blade, I felt it was more influential in getting vampire action movies greenlit like the Underworld series and Van Helsing, than on CBMs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Last Stand opened to $102 million in 2006... the only films to open bigger were Shrek 2, Revenge of the Sith and Spidey 2002... Those movies had insane momentum back then.

Just because in 2010s , Avengers took over Xmen many started thinking Xmen is some b list properties for Marvel movies

But the reality is , if done righr Xmen can easily outdo best of Avengers and you know the best advantage,  X men have so many fan favorite characters that they don't have to rely on legacy characters to carry forward. X men is vast, Kevin Feige is lucky here cause without X-men it would have increasingly difficult to keep marvel stable after Secret Wars

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

I think the first Blade film is good but the last 2 I didn't care for. Looking back, Ryan Reynolds being in these films is hilarious. His filmography was trending on twitter last week when D&W was released.

Blade 2 was the best of them all. I would say 1 and 2 were superb but not 3.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Blade 2 was the best of them all. I would say 1 and 2 were superb but not 3.

Blade 2 kicks ass. Del Toro was doing a for hire/paycheck job and still knocked it out of the park.

21 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Just because in 2010s , Avengers took over Xmen many started thinking Xmen is some b list properties for Marvel movies

But the reality is , if done righr Xmen can easily outdo best of Avengers and you know the best advantage,  X men have so many fan favorite characters that they don't have to rely on legacy characters to carry forward. X men is vast, Kevin Feige is lucky here cause without X-men it would have increasingly difficult to keep marvel stable after Secret Wars

The MCU is over in my honest opinion meaning it has to be rebooted atleast in 2028 marking the 20 year anniversary. This saga has run for 16 years now. 

MCU has now lost 3 massive Asian markets (China, Japan, and South Korea) They have simply had enough and everyone will follow suit like the Mideast, Latin America, South East Asia and Finally Europe. The MCU relesaed 34 films and only 10 of them made into the billion club and there has been more misses then wins if you take closer look as of late. 

Example look at the Fast Franchiese it has overstayed it´s welcome and the reason it kept going was because of the overseas popularity kept them going, while becoming culturally trendsetters and increasing car races among youths worldwide and creating sports cars fanatics but eventually it over stayed it´s welcome 25 years that is a quarter of a century hence it´s overseas markets have collapsed. 

The same thing is happening to MCU the fact that China, Japan and South korea markets have collapsed is a sign of fatigue and MCU getting out of trend and everything in life has it is time and place. 

The best thing Kevin Feige can do post Secret wars is to reboot it but first they need to stop doing MCU movies for atleast a decade and allow people to feel nostalgia about them again aka let them miss these movies again.

Secret wars should be the last movie

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Shyamalan’s goal. Waste as many interesting premises as possible. 

Time to hire a writer and just settle for directing, producing, story/concept and cameo appearance credits

• Knock It Off 1