Eric the Marxist

D23 2024 Discussion Thread | Friday, August 9 Entertainment Showcase (7:00-9:00 PM PDT) | Saturday, August 10 Experiences Showcase (7:00-8:300 PM PDT)

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Am I the only one who feels like both Incredibles 3 and Frozen 3 are in for some fairly steep drops from their respective previous movies? Both of their second chapters were met with mixed reception and have seemingly aged pretty poorly, and I feel like these new ones could end up paying for that.

We're already getting tweets like these. People don't care. They see an NTC, they go like robots

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Why does Hoppers sound like it was pitched as "what if Turning Red and Over the Hedge had a baby?" :lol:

maybe. I just get the vibe of "brain/body swap plot that's been done a million times already".

57 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Am I the only one who feels like both Incredibles 3 and Frozen 3 are in for some fairly steep drops from their respective previous movies? Both of their second chapters were met with mixed reception and have seemingly aged pretty poorly, and I feel like these new ones could end up paying for that.

Frozen 2 was a bit mixed indeed, especially critically

But Incredibles 2 had exceptional reviews and A+ on CS. They couldn’t get a better reception. Twitter hate is meaningless for this movie, they complain because nothing will ever beat their childhood.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Frozen 2 was a bit mixed indeed, especially critically

But Incredibles 2 had exceptional reviews and A+ on CS. They couldn’t get a better reception. Twitter hate is meaningless for this movie, they complain because nothing will ever beat their childhood.

The narrative that I2 was received badly is frankly a load of rubbish, it's not as good as the first film but it's still an very entertaining movie. Frozen 2 was entertaining as well. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I don't get where this "Incredibles 2 was badly received" narrative comes from. A+ CinemaScore (!), 3.3x multiplier off of a massive opening, 7.5 IMDb score, 80 Metascore. Incredibles 3 is opening to over $200M domestically, imo.

• Like 1

Just now, rihrey said:

Yeah, I don't get where this "Incredibles 2 was badly received" narrative comes from. A+ CinemaScore (!), 3.3x multiplier off of a massive opening, 7.5 IMDb score, 80 Metascore. Incredibles 3 is opening to over $200M domestically, imo.

It's not as great as the original. While the original is probably in the top 5 of Pixar movies, Incredibels 2 is in the middle of the pack. That's where that perception comes from.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's not as great as the original. While the original is probably in the top 5 of Pixar movies, Incredibels 2 is in the middle of the pack. That's where that perception comes from.

Middle of the pack for Pixar is still better than most films. 

• Like 5

Toy Story 5 is the only one of those I can actually see underperforming. Not only was Toy Story 4 divisive (even a lot of people who liked it said the series should have stopped at 3), but Lightyear diluted the Toy Story brand in the minds of the public and was a huge flop.

Just now, El Squibbonator said:

Toy Story 5 is the only one of those I can actually see underperforming. Not only was Toy Story 4 divisive (even a lot of people who liked it said the series should have stopped at 3), but Lightyear diluted the Toy Story brand in the minds of the public and was a huge flop.

I'm confident with TS5 because it's a traditional Toy Story film. Lightyear was like the Bomberman of Pixar films.

1 minute ago, El Squibbonator said:

I don't believe it. It's easily another $400m DOM movie. And like Incredibles 2, the backlash to Toy Story 4 mainly has to be on online circles rather than the genuine GA.

9 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Not sure about TS4. It had very strong audience reception in every metric, extremely leggy run, 88 or so on MC and won the Oscar. Seems like Incredibles 2, older fans will never be pleased enough comparing to what they loved as kids. But that hardly makes actual impact. 

Lightyear on the other hand can be a problem. But it’s probably reversible, the engagement for TS5 announcement on social media last night was very big and well received. It was the second most talked thing out of D23, losing only for Incredibles 3. 

• Like 2

On the topic of LILO and Stitch, I’m surprised they didn’t announce a release date and only said Summer 2025. June seems too packed for the movie and so does July. And I don’t think Disney would release it in August. I’m guessing it’ll take the Memorial Day slot along with Mission Impossible 8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

On the topic of LILO and Stitch, I’m surprised they didn’t announce a release date and only said Summer 2025. June seems too packed for the movie and so does July. And I don’t think Disney would release it in August. I’m guessing it’ll take the Memorial Day slot along with Mission Impossible 8

Could be a good counter program. 

They made the right call putting it on theaters. Maybe they’re pleased with the movie to upgrade it. I think it’ll be bigger than Snow White.

They didn't announce dates for either Freakier Friday or Lilo so I think they're still playing it by ear. Since it doesn't look like Blade is happening anytime soon they may decide they want to spread out the Marvel stuff and move one of those movies to the fall, putting Lilo in its place. It could work as either a May opener or a July closer (Bad Guys 2 stays at its own peril). Freakier Friday seems likeliest to go in August but they just might not be 100% sure yet.

Lilo & Stitch seems like it's gonna go for Memorial Day weekend if they're aiming for summer. Disney already has Elio in June and July is really packed as it is. And it could easily coexist with Mission: Impossible.

Freaky Friday is likely 8/8, which is close to the 22nd anniversary of the first.

2 hours ago, Eric is Trapped said:

We're already getting tweets like these. People don't care. They see an NTC, they go like robots

One Tweet doesn't mean anything. That's like 'journalists' these days writing articles of public opinion based on 3 selective tweets out of thousands from a terminally online and niche demographic.

• Like 1