AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

31 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Could A24 outgross Lionsgate by the end of this year? Because if they have just one or two more breakout hits this year, they could do it.

I just looked at Lionsgate's slate for the rest of the year and they don't have a single movie that looks like a hit. Not one. Truly impressive stuff. So yeah, I wouldn't rule that out.

Positive Reviews about It end with us are : the story can be interesting in some way and can create a social debate. Actors and the director make all they can to make the movie better or It would look like an average Lifetime movie. 

But why? Cause despite the book being so popular (like way popular of some cinecomics getting 150m budgeted movies) the budget Is only 25m.

And that means: 15M the rights for the book, 5M for the cast, 5M for all the rest 😁

The idea is women can easily be satisfied, no need to invest. They are treated like the 13 years old watching horror b movies. 

Barbie was important for Hollywood not because It's the First female driven movie but a female driven with incredibile investments from a list cast and director to the (multi oscar nominated) technical side. 

Edited by vale9001

I'm gonna try and do a double feature with both It Ends with Us and Borderlands today. 

I'm sure both won't be great, but I'm highly interested in seeing how they will turn out. Especially with Borderlands, I just gotta know how bad it is and if it's really worth all of the atrocious reception that it's getting right now. 

48 minutes ago, Kon said:

I think it's the assumption that the audience need to be represented by protagonists races to really identify with the characters. 

However, it has been show Latino audience are going to see movies where the protagonists are white. So, it seems this assumption doesn't work for them.

PS: That said, Black and Asian audience seems to be minimal for this movie. So, I wouldn't say representation doesn't affect the interest from the audience.

The Asian % over represents the pop in the U.S. which is about 6%.   Only Black % is less.  If this was an all or even half Asian or Black cast the audience % from each would be considerably higher.

Latino audience has little choice - less than 3% in front & behind the camera while being 20%+ of the US pop.  If Latinos didn't watch films with other kinds of leads they'd barely go to the movies.

Representation isn't the be all/end all - but it matters.  And in this case there's the matter of it representing women.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Excellent start for It Ends With Us.

Curious to see what Cuckoo does this weekend. Trap looks headed for a big drop. 

Don't really comprehend what problem the average moviegoer may have had with Trap. It's a pretty appealing/entertaining thriller 

For IT ENDS WITH US, I think the FotS comp is an apt comparison, but it might hold a bit closer to Crawdads. Not by much though. Give it maybe a drop just under 50% on Saturday?

BORDERLANDS has a bit of range of general audiences are a bit more forgiving for just one weekend (it’s going to drop horribly next weekend no matter what) but let’s go with this

So 46-48m for IEWU (that’s such a weird acronym lol) and 9-10m for Borderlands.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I think it's the assumption that the audience need to be represented by protagonists races to really identify with the characters. 

However, it has been show Latino audience are going to see movies where the protagonists are white. So, it seems this assumption doesn't work for them.

PS: That said, Black and Asian audience seems to be minimal for this movie. So, I wouldn't say representation doesn't affect the interest from the audience.

I think people tend to forget Hispanic white exist, and they made up very substantial portion of Latino/Hispanic population. 

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think people tend to forget Hispanic white exist, and they made up very substantial portion of Latino/Hispanic population. 

Not in the world of hollywood exit polls (or at least posttrak). All race/ethnicity options are mutually exclusive so you're choosing white, black, asian, native, other or hispanic not a 5x2 matrix.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Not women of all demos. The amount of Black (9%) and Asian (9%) women seems to be minimal for It Ends with Us. That's why I feel it's especifically Latino audience who has been drawn to supposed "white" (non-demographically diverse appealing) movies in the last years.

I wouldn't be surprised if future supposed "white" films end up having huge amounts of Latinos.

9% Asian/12% [Asian + Native + Other] is a perfectly normal score that, if anything, is over-indexing. It's over indexing among hispanic and underindexing among black audiences. 

1 hour ago, Driver said:

Don't really comprehend what problem the average moviegoer may have had with Trap. It's a pretty appealing/entertaining thriller 

Limited Shamalyan bucks or fucks to give - already watered down by The Watchers.

Edited by TalismanRing

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Yeah. People seem to forget that aspect too. 

I didn't mention it because I don't know how big is the percentage of white latinos in USA.

I've understood Americans tend to imagine Latinos with a non-white look. So, white latinos may not be so common in USA?