AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

I don't know if we'll get any preliminary estimates but interested in seeing how Good One opened. Critical darling from Sundance that is first wide distribution venture from Metrograph.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

$15.7m for Deadpool & Wolverine’s third Friday is INSANE. :ohmygod:

Soaking Wet Marvel Cinematic Universe GIF by Leroy Patterson

I know this is nit picky, but Luiz says it has a chance to break $500 million by Sunday, and if not it will hit it Tuesday. What? 
Is Monday going to do $0? 
I wish this Box Office dudes would spend a little more time with their numbers before tweeting. 

That could take The Weeknd to 56 or perhaps even 57. Basically back on track to where it looked like it should be based on last wknd/Mon&Tues before the disappointing wed&th. 

5 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

That could take The Weeknd to 56 or perhaps even 57. Basically back on track to where it looked like it should be based on last wknd/Mon&Tues before the disappointing wed&th. 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

All right I'm going to be a little bit jingoistic here for a couple minutes. I love the fact that Deadpool and Wolverine has such a Canadian spin to it. I'm of course from Canada and Ryan Reynolds is Canadian Shawn Levy is Canadian and he was born in the same Hometown that I was. And of course the two main characters in the movie are also canadian. I know this is all arbitrary pride but it's still kind of cool to see such a Canadian flavored film do so well.

In my showing when that one guy insulted Canada I heard actual gasps from the audience lol. Then when Deadpool defended Canada some guy in back yelled "THATS RIGHT"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Killimano3 said:

In my showing when that one guy insulted Canada I heard actual gasps from the audience lol. Then when Deadpool defended Canada some guy in back yelled "THATS RIGHT"

With Captain America: Brave New World and Thunderbolts hinting at a superpowers arms race for super powered individuals and metals like adamatiuk and vibranium being so valuable in the MCU, it would be crazy cool if we could get some sort of arms race with the countries for their own super teams, like Canada’s Alpha Flight, Captain Britain in the UK, MI6. Excalibur, Russia’s Winter Guard,  etc. 

The idea of an arms race of super powered individuals as the central theme of this new Captain America sounds so intriguing to me. Way to keep the MCU grounded and exploring current themes.

• Like 4

Deadline

"Interesting to note is that Gods of Egypt opened during the third weekend of the original Deadpool, a similar occurrence here in the dating of Borderlands. However, it’s not the date that’s against this movie, and there’s no amount of smart marketing that could save what appears to in tone to be a Tank Girl meets Furiosa type of sci-fi fantasy film. What’s glaringly obvious is that nobody wanted to see this film. Period. It’s a complete disconnect between a studio believing there’s an audience for a videogame movie, which doesn’t exist."

It's kinda stupid thing to say.

There was excitement initially, but it was killed by bad casting decisions, weak trailers and reports about poor test screening/reshoots/delays 

1 minute ago, cinema pal said:

Deadline

"Interesting to note is that Gods of Egypt opened during the third weekend of the original Deadpool, a similar occurrence here in the dating of Borderlands. However, it’s not the date that’s against this movie, and there’s no amount of smart marketing that could save what appears to in tone to be a Tank Girl meets Furiosa type of sci-fi fantasy film. What’s glaringly obvious is that nobody wanted to see this film. Period. It’s a complete disconnect between a studio believing there’s an audience for a videogame movie, which doesn’t exist."

It's kinda stupid thing to say.

There was excitement initially, but it was killed by bad casting decisions, weak trailers and reports about poor test screening/reshoots/delays 

I’m sorry, I feel bad if you are a Borderlands fan or something but just no. It’s sort of saying that anyone legitimately cares about a Twisted Metal adaptation - which I actually heard good things about - on a streaming channel that I don’t even remember the name. There isn’t a big audience for Borderlands in games, let alone as a film. Borderlands was always a niche franchise, despite its insane Steam discounts.

It looks like Borderlands taking some PLFs did not hurt Deadpool and Wolverine one bit. Love to see that. 

I'm still saying that this movie gets to $650M domestically. The race for #1 at the 2024 domestic box office continues. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It looks like Borderlands taking some PLFs did not hurt Deadpool and Wolverine one bit. Love to see that. 

I'm still saying that this movie gets to $650M domestically. The race for #1 at the 2024 domestic box office continues. 

deadpool3-deadpool.gif

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

My mental image of this is a South Park Canadian and it's impossible to picture anything else

Image of Screw that! Go, Canada!

Trap down 69% from last Friday... that actually seems not bad? If the weekend is less than 60% drop that's surprising. Old also missed 60% so I guess, I just thought it'd totally collapse. 

I'm legitimately kind of shocked at that Friday number for deadpool. It looks like it's going to have incredible legs. 650 is definitely off in the Horizon right now.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm legitimately kind of shocked at that Friday number for deadpool. It looks like it's going to have incredible legs. 650 is definitely off in the Horizon right now.

Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman and the X-Men are taking over. 

(Also, add X-Men ‘97 to your Disney+ list)