AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

This is why I don’t understand the whole “everything should get a theatrical release” mindset. An obvious dud like Borderlands should be sent straight to streaming and not be taking away screens from movies people actually want to see. 

Good PostTrack for It Ends with Us : 4,5/5 stars , 85% positive and 69% recommand . 82% Women . 63% over 25. 44% Caucasian, 35% Latino , 9% Black , 9% Asian .

Only 1,5/5 stars for Bordelands , 50% positive , 37% Definitive recommand .

For Comparaison :

Crawdads : 4,5/5 stars , 87% Positive , 70% recommand , 71% Caucasian , 17% Latino , 4% Black, 8% Asian/other.

For me , A- Cinemascore for IEWU and C or C- for Bordelands .

Edited by Grand Cine
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Promotion was fine, it hit the ceiling of what a romantic melodrama with mediocre reviews can do.

95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and PostTrack 4.5 stars is by no means “mediocre reviews”. It’s looking like it’ll have a wonderful WoM.

Yet it’s weird a 65% by Rotten Tomatoes Top Critics while overall score (with blogers and YouTubers added) lowed it to under 60%. Usually it’s the opposite for example D&W has 78% overall but 62% by Top Critics. 

Edited by leoh
  • Like 2

A/A- cinemascore could help it cross 100m domestic which would be excellent result

On that Topic , let's talk about Blake Lively. Her career is so fascinating. 

She has quite successful movies at box office but interestingly enough, I rarely see her doing big budget tentpole movies.

What's the reason? She is quite good for franchises like Jurassic or even a Marvel or DC movie. I am surprised honestly lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, studios really tried to appeal female audience after Twilight and Hunger Games, but the next attempts on these genres weren't so successful.

The studios focusing on male driven tentpoles happened because they found ways to consistently create success.

Studios really haven't tried in decades.  50 Shades and Divergent are trying?   How about romance, musicals, thrillers, mysteries, dramas, action and comedies and more than one of those a season or even year.  We are more than half the population.  We are half the ticket buyers.  We are not a niche audience.   They were able to do it in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s but they can't do it now?  Yes it's harder with smaller margins and maybe more risk for mid budget films but the marketplace is obviously starved and they have streaming to fall back on.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

Just now, leoh said:

95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and PostTrack 4.5 stars is by no means “mediocre reviews”. It’s looking like it’ll an wonderful WoM.

Yet it’s weird a 65% by Rotten Tomatoes Top Critics while overall score (with blogers and YouTubers added) lowed it to under 60%. Usually it’s the opposite for example D&W has 78% overall but 62% by Top Critics. 

Bloggers and YouTubers mostly like franchise movies or action adventure. I have seen them trash so many movies like this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Studios really haven't tried in decades.  50 Shades and Divergent are trying?   How about romance, musicals, thrillers, mysteries, dramas, action and comedies and more than of those a season or even year.  We are more than half the population.  We are half the ticket buyers.  We are not a niche audience.   They were able to do it in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s but they can't do it now?

Honestly Imagine movies like Bridgerton. They would do so well at box office if done right. 

Hollywood is lazy , just give them new monster or new superhero to milk

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How was promotion weak for this movie? It was literally everywhere. And over the past few days Reynolds has been promoting it in an attempt to give the timing of the release somewhat of a Barbenheimer vibe. For a domestic abuse drama that lacked appeal outside its core demos (both of the male leads are played by low-profile actors, one of them even being the director of the movie), they maximized its potential as well as they could.

They didn't even launch an original Song for the movie, let alone a while soundtrack (like for Barbie, Twilight, hunger games etc..)That's basic for a female driven romantic drama.

The promotion is what you make not only the number of spaces you buy. It was boring and without inspiration.

Ryan Reynolds gags have 0 impact on selling a movie like this. Another basic and boring idea.

3 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Good PostTrack for It Ends with Us : 4,5/5 stars , 85% positive and 69% recommand . 82% Women . 63% over 25. 44% Caucasian, 35% Latino , 9% Black , 9% Asian .

Only 1,5/5 stars for Bordelands , 50% positive , 37% Definitive recommand .

For me , A- Cinemascore for IEWU and C or C- for Bordelands .

82% Women for It Ends with Us. It's really high on female audience, but I guess this isn't surprising.

Also, caucasian could the bigger audience, but it seems to attract a good amount of Latino audience too.

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

A/A- cinemascore could help it cross 100m domestic which would be excellent result

On that Topic , let's talk about Blake Lively. Her career is so fascinating. 

She has quite successful movies at box office but interestingly enough, I rarely see her doing big budget tentpole movies.

What's the reason? She is quite good for franchises like Jurassic or even a Marvel or DC movie. I am surprised honestly lol

Big budget tentpoles are time consuming to film for a lead and Blake has given birth to 4 kids within the past 10 years (which included a pandemic and industry strikes). And didn't she get hurt doing The Rhythm Section (which flopped anyway)? I'm sure she has nannies and all but smaller scale projects probably allow her more flexibility.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

It feels like book adaptions are a dime a dozen. Why? It’s  pretty much unlimited source material for films. 

agreed 

I'm sorry but is anyone surprised that 35% of the audience who showed up last night to It Ends with Us was Hispanic and Latino? 

I really didn't think this book could crossover with a more diverse demographic, but apparently it has and if this keeps going on throughout the weekend, this will be what It Ends with Us needs to hit $50M.

What was the last movie to open above $40M without any premium screens? Did either of the Halloween sequels get Dolby screens? I know Scream VI had 3D so I feel like that should be discounted. Do we have to go back to 2019 or 2018?

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Meh walkups. $1M+ previews. Weekend $9-10M if lucky.

Holy hell. That's bad.

I don't even wanna know what the drop off from next weekend will be like...