Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Alien Romulus is so good when you dont aint got film twitter in your ear telling you it's bad

Doesn't Film Twitter already do that with anything that's not entirely an original film or made by an auteur filmmaker? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Have you been outside of here in the last 24 hours? I just ran across a Huffington Post article about how problematic she is. I'm glad the drama isn't being discussed here because it doesn't matter. But I cannot escape it on social media!

That’s some Depp PR magic. FWIW is the single film that anyone outside nerd circles have excitedly talked about (since Deadpool & Wolverine, I mean). Scandal, drama and etc. not withstanding, I’m glad it’s doing well, even if it clearly isn’t for me.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

just watched horizon part 1. When your big sequel tease at the end is that giovanni ribisi is gonna be in the next one I can see why part 2 got condemned to the shadow realm.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Doesn't Film Twitter already do that with anything that's not entirely an original film or made by an auteur filmmaker? 

It varies. Film Twitter is kind of a shell of its former self anyway now-a-days. The response on letterboxd is a lot more positive.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Sorry if you felt I diminished your input, my whole point was to say that no one should diminish baumer’s input because he has experience with this and has been doing for longer than I’ve been around, which is more than one decade. 

Noted! If that's how my comment came across to him that's definitely not what I meant to do I was just trying to give my opinion on it, so I'm sorry about that! It's not an exact science as you said, we all have our own methods even if you're not using the same set of data as someone else it's still all a way to look at the numbers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just watched horizon part 1. When your big sequel tease at the end is that giovanni ribisi is gonna be in the next one I can see why part 2 got condemned to the shadow realm.

That actually sounds like a good reason to watch a sequel

Just now, ringedmortality said:

It varies. Film Twitter is kind of a shell of its former self anyway now-a-days. The response on letterboxd is a lot more positive.

Letterboxd is a f***ing paradise compared to Film Twitter. 

It's not perfect (like every social media website isn't), but most people on Letterboxd are generally cool and I love reading reviews from a variety of different users. I've been on the platform for almost 5 years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Twitter is a shell of itself in general, which explains all that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It's not perfect (like every social media website isn't), but most people on Letterboxd are generally cool and I love reading reviews from a variety of different users. I've been on the platform for almost 5 years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. 

Letterboxd is the best, especially after it went mainstream. Can´t wait for them to evolve the app

7 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I can actually trust Letterboxd, for one. Film Twitter is full of biases, whereas Letterboxd is mainstream enough to have enough varied opinions, but also somehow review-bomb proof. Seemingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan C said:

You know what, how about we just be even-handed about this whole "why didn't Twisters do well overseas" argument and say it was because Warner Bros. had nothing really to work with to sell the movie to international audiences. 

Universal was the one who had to (and did) do all the work to sell the film in North America and it's literally paying off for them. 

To me, I think it's a lot more than just "WB messed up" or "WB doesn't have enough money to market their movies." If they were able to sell Twisters to international audiences, they probably would've created a strong marketing campaign to help the film's prospects in theaters. It's just that they didn't have anything to work with because Universal did all the work to sell the film to the country that it is 100% aimed at. 

I think WB not being creatively involved in Twisters bit them in the bum but release wise, they were stuck as well, the reason it was released a week earlier in some markets was because Australia, New Zealand etc weren't part of any sports tournament whereas in Europe and South America, there were football/soccer tournaments and in the UK, England got to the Euro final so releasing it on the weekend of the final was not going to happen. Also, they were still doing post productions days before the premieres so they couldn't release it in early July either. 

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Fingers crossed Alvarez replaces Muschietti on Batman

a movie about a bunch of teens breaking into wayne manor and then getting their shit rocked by batman. honestly I'd see it.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

What? I thought everybody like Giovanni Ribisi!

I do like Fede but I'm not sure he'd be comfortable doing a superhero film. An original thriller by Fede would be interesting since it's not far off from horror and he's done the genre before with The Girl in the Spider's Web.

I'm sure other studios will be looking at up and coming directors like Osgood Perkins, Zac Cregger and Lee Cronin to help revitalise their horror franchises. WB/New Line Cinema could revitalise A Nightmare on Elm Street with one of them for example as well as a new Friday the 13th although the rights are a bit complicated for that one. 

2 hours ago, Marathon said:

Twisters might have done better OS if it had better release date(s). Not a 'high priority' movie for many, so it got immediately lost in the July shuffle overseas.

I think this is completely on point - sandwiched between IO2, DM4, and DP3, something had to give...and it was Twisters...

• Like 1

Pretty sure Fede Álvarez was approached to take over The Batman back in the day after Affleck stepped down but before Reeves signed on.

33 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

What? I thought everybody like Giovanni Ribisi!

Scientology stuff aside he’s cool.

https://variety.com/2024/film/columns/where-have-all-the-cinema-lovers-gone-deadpool-wolverine-tar-1236108202/

This article isn't anything particularly new, but I just found it funny that people who are working for some of the biggest websites that cover everything in the entertainment industry are pointing out the hypocrisy in people who say that they love cinema, but never show up to the movie theater to see the films they claim are cinema.

Even if they would probably be stating what we all know is obvious, I would genuinely love to see more of these types of articles. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 5