Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

2 minutes ago, wattage said:

It's very funny that you're now being patronizing and trying to say I'm being reductive when it's very obvious you're only basis for this is that he's a black superhero which is why I said it. But it's a problem if I say that him being black and a superhero is not just what Black Panther was doing and not why it resonanted so strongly in my own community so it as a comparison is not what you want to be doing. I know when it's coming out. I know who he is. If you want to say it'll over index with black audiences potentially then say that and try not to just compare every black character to one another thanks. 

I'm done talking with you. 

If you don’t understand the importance and the symbolism of an Afro-American man taking over the shield and becoming Captain America, you are not that different than those who said that Miles Morales is just another ‘black superhero’. They were wrong then just like I strongly believe you are wrong now.

Sam Wilson becoming Captain America means something if done right. Just like Miles Morales becoming Spider-Man doesn’t make him just another "black superhero" and I take offense in that notion. I never said it’s a given, but that the trailer has me hyped and excited that they might pull it off. If you will attack me for saying with MANY other people on social media are saying about Sam Wilson being Captain America means something, I don’t think I have something to say to you either. 

2 minutes ago, wattage said:

Everything about how TLM was talked about with bad faith actors for...years really...color the conversation around it. There were a lot of people who suspiciously suddenly cared about movies breaking even and comparing live action movies that normally don't give a shit and we all knew why. Not really the case in here though since it's a box office forum but on the outside. 

All that being said the very good domestic haul for that movie definitely put it in a much better position than MI7. So it had that going for it. I think that one is just a murky case. Lots of toy sales and various ancillaries we just can't account for on the back end. 

Yes, the global box office wasn’t great compared to the budget, but i have to say i was surprised that it still did 550M considering racists spend years organizing propaganda against it. 

Absolutely insane behavior, it could have done a lot worse than it did.

• Like 1

Just watched Coraline again, so happy with this. I hope this global re-released remasters became a thing, i would love to watch some more classics in theaters.

Now going to see Alien again, didn’t loved it’s first half but the climax was indeed a great sensorial experience. Fede Alvarez deserved this success.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

If you don’t understand the importance and the symbolism of an Afro-American man taking over the shield and becoming Captain America

The importance of minorities also being used as propaganda for fascist governments? Wow 

(i’m half kidding, i know kids will have a good experience out of it which is nice).

Moderation

Okay, after this post comes up, I'm re-opening the thread. Now I got a couple things to say before I open stuff up. Some points apply to everybody, others for specific people. But either way, I hope everybody takes what I say to heart, or else more warning points will come towards certain users' way. And if anybody has an issue with the post I am making, please talk to me privately. We are done with this discussion publicly.

1. It is very valid to bring up the issues many POC projects do in fact face when it comes to box office potential, harassment campaigns, etc. However, that doesn't mean people can't still be negative on a film's prospects nor does that automatically mean they are above criticism. @Spidey Freak there was no need to make some sort of accusations of racism because people think Cap 4 might not do well at the box office.

2. This applies to those who love to mock, denigrate, and attack Zatt. I understand that Zatt and his posts are not everybody's cup of tea. And yes, he deserves to be held accountable for his actions. Believe me. But fighting fire with fire and insulting him back, making posts that directly mock him, and simply trying to reason with somebody who very clearly does not have any interest in being reasoned with does not help this situation at all. I suggest next time, to everybody, that the next time Zatt or any user you dislike is damaging or derailing the forum, please just hit the Report button. Or better yet, @ me or another mod specifically when they start to misbehave. It's certainly better than dunking on somebody unfairly.

3. Now, here's my big spiel. @ZattMurdock I understand it can be frustrating to see people be negative and pessimistic on movies you love and are looking forward to. I think it's something we all can relate to. And I understand that maybe some people should reconfigure their expectations on certain Marvel productions. However, you have gone way too far these past couple weeks. You have derailed threads many a time whenever people are even the slightest bit critical of Marvel and superhero movies. You repeat ad nauseum that people are out to get Marvel and set these unfair expectations against them, but then act holier than thou against many other franchises and figures who do not like Marvel. You claim that it's okay for certain Marvel projects to not hit a billion, but then constantly fight other people who say that a Marvel movie may potentially not hit certain thresholds or numbers. And just this past weekend, you accused not one, but two different users of being racist, in a very patronizing and condescending tone. It's pretty egregious too, as Wattage's posts in particular indicate that they are also Black. And yet here you are saying they don't understand the importance of a Black Captain America. How ironic indeed.

People are very frustrated with your posts, and for good reason. People don't like it when a user refuses to accept a different opinion. People don't like it when you start fights for no reason. Are people being negative on Marvel movies really such an injustice? Is the $32 billion juggernaut franchise that has made more money than anybody here will ever make in their lifetimes really something you have to posit as some scrappy underdog? Do you have to create strawmans or go after users because they "don't get" a franchise or character's popularity? No. So why do it?

And in fact, you have constantly gone on, over and over and over and over again, about how much you hate BOT. How much you think this community doesn't understand Marvel and its box office. How this place is basically just another 4chan. How you have expressed many a time that you are leaving this place forever because of the community. So, and this is a rhetorical question...why are you here? If you hate what this place has become and don't like most of the users, why hang out in a place you hate? We're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk about Marvel, so why stick around in an area that you don't care for? It's like a vegetarian walking into a steakhouse. What's the goal here?

I'm not saying you deserve to leave or that you don't bring value to this place. But I'm just asking you to please, please, please try to be mindful of what you post here. Try to put certain users on your ignore list. Don't start some whole "can you believe people are being so mean about Marvel when they are keeping theaters alive" rhetoric. And sometimes, if you see a post you disagree with, just...ignore it. I can assure you that the universe is not going to explode into a million pieces because you didn't respond to a user who said Thunderbolts might not be a hit. And if you think people are totally 100% wrong? Well...let people be wrong. I'm not expecting you to be perfect, but I just want you to try. It's okay for people to be negative on Marvel, and it's okay to just...let it be.

As I said before, we are done with this whole conversation and fighting. If anybody wants to talk with me about the post I made, please talk to me privately. If you don't, you will see a threadban. Thank you. That is all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

What do people think the chances are of a 3x MP for ALIEN?. I know that doesnt happen often for these kind of films but a nice 120mil finish would be cool for this, and hopefully greenlight another ALIEN film (please keep lt away from Scott though).

300mil WW would also be cool and probably garauntee another film.

Just now, stuart360 said:

What do people think the chances are of a 3x MP for ALIEN?. I know that doesnt happen often for these kind of films but a nice 120mil finish would be cool for this, and hopefully greenlight another ALIEN film (please keep lt away from Scott though).

300M WW seems set assuming Romulus has good legs and has the series’ typical doubling of OS gross compared to DOM.

120 DOM I’m not too sure but it should be safe at least for 100 DOM.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Disney is never letting an IP die any number WW they'd still make another.  

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The idea that Captain America will be a mini Black Panther just because the lead is black is just stupid and kinda racist. Black people wont show up en masse to a movie just because a black dude is in it. Saw a black guy say   “bring the white one back” to his (black) friends when the trailer showed up before Romulus. Obviously he was joking but it’s clear that there is no reverence like Black Panther. Literally no one cares.

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if Cap 4 did 1/4th of BP1 adjusted domestic

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

300M WW seems set assuming Romulus has good legs and has the series’ typical doubling of OS gross compared to DOM.

300M off 108M OW is not set until second week will tell the story. Halloween (2018) was well received and hyped, but barely crossed x2 multi.